Are Atheists more obsessed about religion than those with religious beliefs?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my experience as an agnostic, the hardcore athiests are as bad as thiest extremists. Please remember hardcore athiests, I don't want Christianity thrown down my throat. So I don't want athiesm thrown down my throat either. Seriously some athiest become what they hate.
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corrected post
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whats the big deal?! Athiests do tend to have a chip on thier shoulders, if anything i find them far less tolerable than most religous people.

Very untrue statement.
    jonbey wrote: »
    Funny isn't? Centuries of being hostility from the Church (in the old days most of us would be burnt alive, or worse) then a few people speak out and its suddenly "atheists are all radical loons with bees in their bonnets!!"

Get a grip! Look at the history of the Christian church, us non-believers have a lot to be pissed off about actually! It is more surprising that more people are not are not acting like there is a whole swarm of bees in their bonnet.:eek:

isn't? Centuries of being hostility from the Church (in the old days most of us would be burnt alive, or worse) then a few people speak out and its suddenly "atheists are all radical loons with bees in their bonnets!!"

Get a grip! Look at the history of the Christian church, us non-believers have a lot to be pissed off about actually! It is more surprising that more people are not are not acting like there is a whole swarm of bees in their bonnet.:eek:[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

One thing the intranet has given is the ability of non believers to undermine the flaws in religions arguments - even the media harp on about 'god' on a regular basis, now we have a chance to counteract it in a way that we didn't before.

Suddenly the christians are 'under attack'.

No.

You're just being more openly questioned and you don't like it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frood wrote: »
    Very untrue statement.

It was an opinion, so no it was not 'untrue'.

'Athiests do tend to have a chip on thier shoulders, if anything i find them far less tolerable than most religous people.'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Athiests do tend to have a chip on thier shoulders, if anything i find them far less tolerable than most religous people.'

We don't tend to have a chip on our shoulders.

And we are both far more tolerable and more tolerant than most believers. Atheists don't give precedence to atheists over Christians when applying for school places. That's because we don't see it as important.
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if the B&B Christians would have turned away atheists, if they'd known any potential guest was an atheist? I guess if they didn't want sinners under their roof, they'd have to. I don't think an atheist B&B owner would turn away a Christian (and I wouldn't support them, if they did).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flobadob wrote: »
    We don't tend to have a chip on our shoulders.

And we are both far more tolerable and more tolerant than most believers. Atheists don't give precedence to atheists over Christians when applying for school places. That's because we don't see it as important.

Why as an athiest would you see any wrong doing in giving preference to christian raised children to a christian school? Surely as an athiest you would prefer if your children were raised in a non-christian enforced enviroment any way? So it defeats the point of your post.

I have never been offended by someone saying to me they have faith, but i have been offended by someone telling my grandmother that religion is nonsense. So yes, i do find atheists less tolerable in general.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why as an athiest would you see any wrong doing in giving preference to christian raised children to a christian school? Surely as an athiest you would prefer if your children were raised in a non-christian enforced enviroment any way? So it defeats the point of your post.

I have never been offended by someone saying to me they have faith, but i have been offended by someone telling my grandmother that religion is nonsense. So yes, i do find atheists less tolerable in general.

Because I don't want my taxes being used to support indoctrination in Christianity, atheism or any other belief. Atheists don't have schools and don't tell Christian children, "sorry kid, we have to give precedence to atheists - you'll have to get the bus and travel 10 miles a day to the nearest Christian school despite the fact that this one is only two hundred yards from your front door."
  • mad_dudemad_dude Posts: 10,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Perhaps we should look at how 'tolerable' christians can actually be.

now I apologise for the offensiveness of some of these links but this is what is done in the name of Christianity

http://www.godhatesfags.com/

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23369148-pope-led-cover-up-of-child-abuse-by-priests.do

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jan/28/scott-roeder-abortion-doctor-killer

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8593975.stm

http://thinkprogress.org/2010/03/04/texas-taliban/

http://www1.voanews.com/english/news/a-13-2008-08-27-voa14-66679727.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clayton_Waagner

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centennial_Olympic_Park_bombing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ku_Klux_Klan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Republican_Army

and the counter protestant paramilitary groups.

That is a lot for a tolerant faith, can you find an list for atheism
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,833
    Forum Member
    To be fair to the believers I can see how annoyed they must get what with Atheist songs of Praise and Atheist Thought for the day on the Radio, Buildings in every street telling us the Not-God saves. Atheists spreading their nonsense on street corners, Atheists constantly knocking on their doors giving out those endless Atheist leaflets, Atheists paid by the NHS to visit sick Christians, Atheists having 26 seats reserved for them in the House of Lords, Them having to pay for Schools run by Atheists, imposing an act of Atheist devotion on all School children in all schools every day, us only being allowed an Atheist Head of State, Atheist organisations getting automatically treated as Charities and getting all those tax breaks, Atheists issuing fatwahs against anyone who contradicts them, Atheist organisations blaming the decline in Christian standards when prominent Atheists get caught abusing children, Atheist starting threads on DS when any believer so much as voices an opinion, the list goes on.

I can understand how some Believers get a bit chippy and feel Atheists are obsessed with imposing their 'belief' on the rest of us.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because I don't want my taxes being used to support indoctrination in Christianity, atheism or any other belief. Atheists don't have schools and don't tell Christian children, "sorry kid, we have to give precedence to atheists - you'll have to get the bus and travel 10 miles a day to the nearest Christian school despite the fact that this one is only two hundred yards from your front door."

But surely as an athiest you would want your children in a non religious school? No?

And in turn a religious school would prefer religious familys?

It's a two way street, and i can think of a lot worse ways that our taxes are spent. As neither a Christian or athiest i have no problem with it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mad_dude wrote: »

I am at work so im certainly not going to trawl through your various anti-Christian links, nor will i provide a list of pro-tolerant-Christian liknks. It's completely pointless.

My opinion is based on my life as of yet and the people in it, my knowledge, and experience. Wikipedia is not going to change my opinion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    To be fair to the believers I can see how annoyed they must get what with Atheist songs of Praise and Atheist Thought for the day

Actually, I quite like Songs of Praise (the Christian one, not the atheist one:D). Not a believer myself, but I have to admit that Christ really does have all the best songs, or at least he had the best songwriters working for him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

They're the exceptions rather than the rule, remember countries like the USSR and China were atheists and they persecuted numerous Christians and other religions, they turned churches and religious buildings into government buildings and then of course, the Romans, in the early days of the Christians.

Of course, Atheists have had a raw deal, and I'm not saying that they're worse, both sides are as bad as each other in my opinion, and the problem is when you have two extremist sides, militant atheists vs fundamentalist theists, the middle ground, with all the pleasant people atheist and theist, plus agnostic in the centre, are squeezed out as a result, when in reality they should all be getting along, and turning against the fundamentalists and militants who think they are doing good when in reality it's bad. :)
  • Squishy22Squishy22 Posts: 3,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But surely as an athiest you would want your children in a non religious school? No?

It's a two way street, and i can think of a lot worse ways that our taxes are spent. As neither a Christian or athiest i have no problem with it.

There are several schools in my area and every single one of them is a religious one.

Atheists don't always have a choice.
  • Squishy22Squishy22 Posts: 3,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    To be fair to the believers I can see how annoyed they must get what with Atheist songs of Praise and Atheist Thought for the day on the Radio, Buildings in every street telling us the Not-God saves. Atheists spreading their nonsense on street corners, Atheists constantly knocking on their doors giving out those endless Atheist leaflets, Atheists paid by the NHS to visit sick Christians, Atheists having 26 seats reserved for them in the House of Lords, Them having to pay for Schools run by Atheists, imposing an act of Atheist devotion on all School children in all schools every day, us only being allowed an Atheist Head of State, Atheist organisations getting automatically treated as Charities and getting all those tax breaks, Atheists issuing fatwahs against anyone who contradicts them, Atheist organisations blaming the decline in Christian standards when prominent Atheists get caught abusing children, Atheist starting threads on DS when any believer so much as voices an opinion, the list goes on.

I can understand how some Believers get a bit chippy and feel Atheists are obsessed with imposing their 'belief' on the rest of us.

:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am at work so im certainly not going to trawl through your various anti-Christian links, nor will i provide a list of pro-tolerant-Christian liknks. It's completely pointless.

Wikipedia,BBC news, The Guardian, Voice of America and the westboro baptist church are all part of a Atheist conspiracy. The events, organisations and individuals reported in this link are real events organisations and people
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yeah, but you don't follow. Non-denominational schools don't discriminate against anyone, they welcome all children because atheists are nice and tolerant. You don't get regular state schools turning Catholics away for being the wrong religion. We're better than that.

But yes, you're right. I wouldn't want my children going to a religious school, and in particular I wouldn't want a priest to have unsupervised access to them at any time.

And I don't want atheism taught in schools either. That would be equally wrong, there should be no songs about the non-existence of God, and no special half hour set aside every week to learn about why God doesn't exist.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CABLEDUDE wrote: »
    They're the exceptions rather than the rule, remember countries like the USSR and China were atheists and they persecuted numerous Christians and other religions, they turned churches and religious buildings into government buildings and then of course, the Romans, in the early days of the Christians.

Of course, Atheists have had a raw deal, and I'm not saying that they're worse, both sides are as bad as each other in my opinion, and the problem is when you have two extremist sides, militant atheists vs fundamentalist theists, the middle ground, with all the pleasant people atheist and theist, plus agnostic in the centre, are squeezed out as a result, when in reality they should all be getting along, and turning against the fundamentalists and militants who think they are doing good when in reality it's bad. :)

Has any terror attack, murder, violence been committed in the name of atheism?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Squishy22 wrote: »
    There are several schools in my area and every single one of them is a religious one.

Atheists don't always have a choice.

Yes and im sure a few christians have found themselves in that position too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Has any terror attack, murder, violence been committed in the name of atheism?

Well, atheism isn't a religion so it hasn't been commited in the name of atheism itself, but largely by communists which are largely atheists and anti-religious as religion conflicts their idea of the world, that takes a while to word. :D

EDIT: Here's a group from the USSR:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Society_of_the_Godless
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, but you don't follow. Non-denominational schools don't discriminate against anyone, they welcome all children because atheists are nice and tolerant. You don't get regular state schools turning Catholics away for being the wrong religion. We're better than that.

But yes, you're right. I wouldn't want my children going to a religious school, and in particular I wouldn't want a priest to have unsupervised access to them at any time.

And I don't want atheism taught in schools either. That would be equally wrong, there should be no songs about the non-existence of God, and no special half hour set aside every week to learn about why God doesn't exist.

You have made any point you had completely irrelevant by your comment about the preists. You are trying to tell me i cannot make a generalistation about about athiests whilst at the same time making a huge and far worse generalisation about preists.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes and im sure a few christians have found themselves in that position too.

You mean they've been forced to go to atheist schools?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You mean they've been forced to go to atheist schools?

No, they would prefer their children to go to a christian school but that had not been possible.
  • Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, I quite like Songs of Praise (the Christian one, not the atheist one:D). Not a believer myself, but I have to admit that Christ really does have all the best songs, or at least he had the best songwriters working for him.

:eek:

Your ears need syringing!