Options

Masterchef 2011 (Part 2)

SupportSupport Posts: 70,838
Administrator
I know, I wanted her to fail so badly. Nasty!! But still...fun! :D

They kept coming back to Jackie's face when the chef was introduced. She almost fainted! And then he said he wasn't actually a vegetarian himself, and they didn't zoom back to Jackie's face. I was so disappointed :cry: The one time I wanted to see her reaction!

BTW, now I know why Jackie is so hyper: too much of this stuff! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTC2Ihnsrf0

This thread is a continuation of: Masterchef 2011

Comments

• Options
    PigsMightFlyPigsMightFly Posts: 15,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am glad Tom was saved. I know some people on the previous thread said he should have been given the chop, but he has really excelled up to now and is better than I would say at least three of the others still left in so I think it would have been unfair to get rid of him on one bad day at the office (he did do well in the first challenge though when he had to produce the chef's special dish). I think with Kennedy (much as I liked him as a character) he had been struggling over the past few episodes so I think the decision was fair.

Don't forget Alice who excelled this week didn't do so last week and was in the cook-off at the end so I think the judges can obviously see great potential in some contestants even if they slip up at times.
  • Options
    marieukxxmarieukxx Posts: 4,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    again didn't enjoy this episode. It's far to condensed and I just don't enjoy it anymore now.
  • Options
    bazellisbazellis Posts: 5,405
    Forum Member
    So there are 5 contestants and 12 episodes left. It's going to be a bit drawn out isn't it?
  • Options
    mindyannmindyann Posts: 20,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JuJus wrote:
    Thought this was a more interesting episode and it made a nice change for them to focus on vegetarian food.
    Sara (if I've got the name right - the one with the hair) is starting to annoy me, although I can't say why.
    Got the impression that most of the circus folk they were feeding would have been happier with carnivore faire, which begs the reason as to why the programme producers didn't find more vegitarian diners for the contestors to test their skills against.

I think the challenge part of the task was to get non-veggies eating and actually liking a meatless meal. Or something along those lines.

I wonder if when the episodes were filmed it was supposed to be shown over a 3 night format because John did say at the beginning of the show something about 'over the next 3 days ...'?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Servalan wrote:
    Canny - or lazy?

It may not have breached the rules but it certainly breached the spirit of the round and made Tatt-Boy look unimaginative. Him (and others) complaining about how he couldn't cope without meat only served to show how limited his cuisine is. Anyone who wants to be a professional chef should have an appetite to cook for everyone, and the moaners actually got on my goat more than Jacqui crying (which is saying something ).

I watched last night's episode purely because of Ottolenghi - whose food is just amazing - and won't bother returning to the series. It's so blatantly obvious that Alice is going to win, with John and Greg slavvering all over her - but there's just to much crying for me to care about any of the contestants.

I wouldn't write Annie off just yet :cool:

Couldn't actually believe it when I saw James doing a pud - because I would have assumed they would have been told they were restricted to starter or main. He saw a loophole and went for it.

I'm always amazed on these programmes by what people say they have never cooked before. One who had never made pastry before remains a personal favourite! :o
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    mindyann wrote: »
    I wouldn't write Annie off just yet :cool:

Couldn't actually believe it when I saw James doing a pud - because I would have assumed they would have been told they were restricted to starter or main. He saw a loophole and went for it.

I'm always amazed on these programmes by what people say they have never cooked before. One who had never made pastry before remains a personal favourite! :o

She's my tip to win as well.
  • Options
    Mrs SprattMrs Spratt Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was amazed he was allowed to do a pudding, obviously that isn't what most of us mean when we say 'vegetarian food'.
  • Options
    i_am_a_gremlini_am_a_gremlin Posts: 3,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im getting to the point I cant watch this show with Jackie blubbering all the flippin time :mad:

Wish she had gone instead of the utterly gawjus Kennedy :p
  • Options
    sturnussturnus Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    When Jackie said "I cook vegetarian food virtually every day", what did she mean?

Does she cook steak and chips on the remaining days?
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    sturnus wrote: »
    When Jackie said "I cook vegetarian food virtually every day", what did she mean?

Does she cook steak and chips on the remaining days?

On the other days she hunts baby deer and tears them apart with her bare hands before devouring them raw - true fact*

*Well, maybe not :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bazellis wrote: »
    So there are 5 contestants and 12 episodes left. It's going to be a bit drawn out isn't it?

There are seven contestants left. I should think as with the old format they will probably have three episodes or so just on the final three.
  • Options
    Gemo52Gemo52 Posts: 128,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do people want me to repost my summary of the last programme in this new thread.

In fact, if people want, I can easily repost all the summaries.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gemo52 wrote: »
    Do people want me to repost my summary of the last programme in this new thread.

In fact, if people want, I can easily repost all the summaries.

OOh, yesterdays would be good, Gemo, thank you :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    mindyann wrote: »
    OOh, yesterdays would be good, Gemo, thank you :)

Here you go.

[highlight]Masterchef 2011. Day 7.[/highlight]

Kennedy, 32, Cellist
    Jackie, 40, Research Analyst
    James, 24, Carpenter
    Annie, 39, Part-Time Administrator
    Alice, 24, Part-Time Model
    Tom, 30, Account Director
    Sara, 40, Intensive Care Sister
    Tim, 26, Food Buyer

Yotam Ottolenghi demonstrates four vegetarian recipes.

Tim and Alice: poached, stuffed onion skins. Alice did better.
    Jackie and Annie: sweetcorn polenta topped with feta and aubergine tomato and oregano sauce. Jackie did better.
    Tom and Kennedy: chilli and black pepper tofu. Tom did better.
    Sara and James: grilled vegetable haloumi salad. Both did about the same, maybe Sara slightly better.

Off to Peckham Rye to cook vegetarian food for a circus.

Jackie, James, Alice and Kennedy: lunch for the riggers.
    Alice: (starter) vegetarian haggis parcels. Not enough whisky in the cream for one rigger. They liked it.
    James: (starter) mushroom and truffle risotto. Risotto dry and needs more seasoning.
    Kennedy: (main) wild mushroom and spinach tart with leeks. Tarts falling all over themselves.
    Jackie: (main) vegetable dumplings in a spicy yoghurt curry with puree bread. Bread greasy, too spicy, curry powdery. They didn’t like it.

Sara, Tom, Tim and Annie: dinner for the performers.
    Annie: (starter) trio of beetroot; tart tatin, soup and hummus. They like it a lot.
    Sara: (starter) pepper bake with aubergine a la parmigiano. Serves on short. They like it.
    Tim: (main) vegetable tempura bento box. They don’t like cold tempura.
    Tom: (main) spiced pumpkin tart. Mixed reactions, generally not liked.

Back to the studio.

Annie and Alice have secured their place on Masterchef because of their outstanding job at the circus. The rest have an hour to cook a vegetarian dish. Two will be going home.

Tom: chick pea and red lentil cakes, and a fennel stack. Combination that doesn’t work, patties fall apart.
    Tim: sesame and ricotta open ravioli. Fantastic and very clever.
    Kennedy: gorgonzola and tomato tart. Bit rough around the edges, cheese overpowering.
    James: fig tart with ricotta filling. Pastry not quite sweet enough, nice and rich, good pastry. Judges divided.
    Sara: butternut, coconut and orange velouté. Not particularly liked by either judge.
    Jackie: spiced aubergine curry with lentil dahl. Good dish.

Kennedy is the only one leaving.

The rest stay.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    Apologies if this was covered before

but....

someone in a competition to become a professional chef leaves one of their clients without food and then serves it up after everyone has finished....

and neither of the judges mention it?

She then cooks something in the cook off that neither judge likes, in fact they say that the combination just didn't work

and yet she's still in the competition despite there being an exit place ignored...

It's more like X-Factor every show!
  • Options
    googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Rain wrote: »
    Apologies if this was covered before

but....

someone in a competition to become a professional chef leaves one of their clients without food and then serves it up after everyone has finished....

and neither of the judges mention it?

She then cooks something in the cook off that neither judge likes, in fact they say that the combination just didn't work

and yet she's still in the competition despite there being an exit place ignored...

It's more like X-Factor every show!

The only thing worse would be a cooking show where the winners only created cocktails and picnic finger food! Imagine if something as bad as that happened!
  • Options
    i_am_a_gremlini_am_a_gremlin Posts: 3,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the other days she hunts baby deer and tears them apart with her bare hands before devouring them raw - true fact*

*Well, maybe not :o
    :D:D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    googleking wrote: »
    The only thing worse would be a cooking show where the winners only created cocktails and picnic finger food! Imagine if something as bad as that happened!

You must be in fantasyland. No right minded chef
    would ever allow that to happen surely?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sara annoys me, she doesn't look like she enjoys cooking at all, she has a constant pained and stressed facial expression, she always looks like she is just somehow winging it right until the last minute.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

<snort>
    ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cyberninja wrote: »
    Sara annoys me, she doesn't look like she enjoys cooking at all, she has a constant pained and stressed facial expression, she always looks like she is just somehow winging it right until the last minute.

And yet even wibbly Sara seems almost carefree when compared to Jackie :eek:
  • Options
    sturnussturnus Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    On the other days she hunts baby deer and tears them apart with her bare hands before devouring them raw

Poor bambi :cry:
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member

That would be absurd, of course. However, were that to happen in a show that was more about opening and managing a successful restaurant than about the cooking, then that would be another story... ;)

Back on topic: I'm slightly warming to the new format now. There was a lot more actual cooking this time round, and I LOVED it when Jackie fell flat on her face in the circus challenge. I'm going to hell, aren't I?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My prediction is Sara, Jackie and James (possibly in that order) next for the chop and final four will be Annie, Alice, Tim and Tom
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    My prediction is Sara, Jackie and James (possibly in that order) next for the chop and final four will be Annie, Alice, Tim and Tom

I don’t think Tom will be there. I think you’re right about the other three, though.
This discussion has been closed.