Options

Corrie - time for a new producer?

PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,448
Forum Member
✭✭
PC has really messed up and pissed off fans by axing Eddie Windass, not only that, but Eddie, like many others has recieved a personality transplant.

The amount of high profile storylines is becoming a joke, the upcoming London episodes look good though.

Graeme's joke of an exit

The massive suspension of reality in certain parts of the street.

Phil was amazing last year and at the start of this year, but I'm worried for the street

Comments

• Options
    charliestubbscharliestubbs Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nah, there would have to be a HUGE dip in quality over a prolonged period of time for me to think he had to go.

Overall, I would say there has been a slight dip in quality, but I don't think there has been a large amount of OTT storylines- in fact, I think we have seen more day to day stuff recently. :)

I think he is still currently the best producer out of all the ones currently working in soap, but he does have his faults. I totally agree regarding Eddie and Graeme, but these are the only two things that I have issues with. Everything else has been good.
  • Options
    wallo mr slugwallo mr slug Posts: 9,734
    Forum Member
    That seems a bit hysterical to be honest. The positives still much outweigh the negatives.
    And as a side note, Graeme's exit has yet to be confirmed. he doesn't leave until July.
  • Options
    chipstick10chipstick10 Posts: 7,168
    Forum Member
    Corrie is just simply awful lately. We really needed another character like kylie. Tracy is beyond a joke. No depth at all. The storylines are so shockingly over the top im cringing. Becky has been given so much prominence i am struggling to understand why. I hear Anthony Cotton is to be given massive prominence also:confused::confused::confused:Why? he is a terrible actor. Its actually worse than ee and thats saying something.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He seems to have lost the structure of changing storylines every three weeks, now we're being force fed Steve and Becky constantly...AGAIN
  • Options
    laurenlawsonlaurenlawson Posts: 2,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still love Corrie. I have loved it since the Underworld explosion week. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    He seems to have lost the structure of changing storylines every three weeks, now we're being force fed Steve and Becky constantly...AGAIN

I wish Steve and Becky's plan had gone ahead as planned and Jim and Liz were back running the pub for a while. At least three months. We've had Steve and Becky on almost every single episode. I'm sick of seeing them on my screen.

(right.. i'm going to shut up about Jim and Liz now haha)
  • Options
    ads84ads84 Posts: 7,332
    Forum Member
    Yes I agree.
    Maybe they should enquire as to Bryan Kirkwood's availability?
    Or...maybe they should stick with their own excellent producer, who has, on the whole done an amazing job considering the bilge his predecessor was dishing out.
  • Options
    VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    Not at all - I'm loving PC's work...I haven't enjoyed Corrie so much since the heady days of 2002-4.
  • Options
    ::Adam::::Adam:: Posts: 7,223
    Forum Member
    Okay, so i see we've gone past slagging EastEnders now and we've moved onto Corrie, Give it a few weeks and we'll be onto Emmerdale, then Hollyoaks, then back to EE.

Personally, i like Corrie at the moment and i'm enjoying it, Last year was always going to be that little bit better and that little bit extra put into it because it was the 50th - I'm enjoying the current plots and character interaction - I have no problem with Steve & Becky, since there in the pub, which is the heart of any soap, we're always going to see a lot of them.

We don't know what happens with Graeme and we haven't seen it yet .

Eddie's not really done much, and i wouldn't say he has changed much, he's feeling the pressure of raising a child who has had problems.

There's always been a SOR when it comes to Corrie, or any soap for that matter.

Why are high profile storylines a joke? i think it's good we have continual high profile stuff, so nothing ever gets samey or boring.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretty much everyone should know how big of a Corrie fan I am, I'm not just having a go for the sake of it, and I'm not making big claims like "amma switch off after all deese yeers" I'll keep watching Corrie, it's just worrying how sensationalised the storylines are becoming
  • Options
    Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, he's the best boss they've had in years and his long term plans are only just coming into effect, I want him to have a good long run of three years or more before yet another handover period. To be honest, if they had to get rid of Eddie I'd rather he was killed off. His exit sounds terrible, but I kinda agree with why he's going. He's a bit of a spare part and the weak link of the Windasses.

Faye and Xin are awful, I'm not liking the story with Graeme and Maria doesn't work at the factory but the rest is all very strong in my opinion. Particularly the Platt dramas, and the downfall of the McDonalds.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe I was being a bit OTT, Phil just seems to be going through a bit of a bad patch right now, hopefully things will get better
  • Options
    boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really don't think there's need to be raising the alarm here folks. There's been a slight dip in quality but nothing major to worry about. The ratings are still healthy and there are a number of really entertaining storylines still going on- the downfall of the McDonalds, war of the Websters, the micropolitics at the factory between Frank, Maria and Carla and the upcoming storyline of Roy and Sylvia's feuding.

I don't think that the show is quite as strong as it was during the August to December period last year but we did have a lot of massive things going on- Natasha's exit, the love square, Jack's death and the tram crash etc.

The show is still ten times better than anything that Kim Crowther churned out during her tenure.
  • Options
    rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe I was being a bit OTT, Phil just seems to be going through a bit of a bad patch right now, hopefully things will get better

The Jim storyline could have tipped anyone over the edge...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the show just needs a few more light hearted storyline, plus David and Kylie's wedding would have been so much better if it was just their wedding
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    what a stupid thread!!!
  • Options
    boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do agree that the bank robbery was OTT but lets have a look at some of the other wonderful things that PC has brought us so far this year:

- The casting of Andrew Lancel and Stephanie Cole.
    - The return of Tommy Duckworth
    - Claire's exit to France
    - The robbery plot involving Chris and Lloyd
    - The War of the Websters
    - The downfall of the McDonalds
    - Eileen and Owen scam plot
    - The conclusion of the love square
    - The pairing of David and Kylie
    - Sophie's breakdown
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Pretty much everyone should know how big of a Corrie fan I am, I'm not just having a go for the sake of it, and I'm not making big claims like "amma switch off after all deese yeers" I'll keep watching Corrie, it's just worrying how sensationalised the storylines are becoming
    Do you not have anything else to worry about?
  • Options
    tenchgirltenchgirl Posts: 11,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    theres a handful of characters that need to go and a couple of dodgy storylines but hes not doing that much of a bad job over all,. the upcoming london stuff looks total crap and i dont believe violet would handover her kid to the sap she wanted rid of unless she was dead other than that its watchable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Newhaven wrote: »
    Do you not have anything else to worry about?

Calm down, it's a figure of speech "worried about" doesnt mean I spend my time fretting about it :rolleyes:
  • Options
    MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he has done quite a good job really, the only things that I have disageed with are:-

Axing Ashley & Clare Peacock - I stll think they had a lot of potential.

Axing Molly - I thought her and Tyrone could have been the new Jack & Vera, but after the affair with Kevin it seemed unlikely that they could carry on with comedy storylines.
    I realise that the affair was before PC's time though.

Axing Eddie Windass - Another one with massive comedy potential.

Keeping redundant characters - mainly Kym Marsh & Anthony Cotten. Why?
    I know that PC & AC are friends in real life but that's no excuse in my opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tenchgirl wrote: »
    theres a handful of characters that need to go and a couple of dodgy storylines but hes not doing that much of a bad job over all,. the upcoming london stuff looks total crap and i dont believe violet would handover her kid to the sap she wanted rid of unless she was dead other than that its watchable.
    I think she shares custody with Sean, though the spoilers for the Sunday do say
    That there's trouble in Jamie and Violet's relationship - Maybe she moves back oop north
  • Options
    Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Corrie works best when there are secrets that haven't come out yet - Kevin being the father of Mollie's baby, the John Stape/ Colin Fishwicke saga, leanne and Nick affair. None of the storylines are keeping me hooked at the moment. Jennie McAlpine doesn't play the liar as well as Graeme Hawley, so that particular deception isn't really interesting me.

Like many others, I would have liked to see Jim and Liz behind the bar, and that could have spawned some interesting interractions between Owen and Jim.

I thought the sensational storylines in tram week were great, but they'd been building for months. It seems as though now, they just want to keep bashing out quickie storylines so you have no time to get involved in the build up and don't really care what happens because you don't believe in the characters any more. I could hardly watch the two episodes on Monday with Jim - it was all so ludicrous.
  • Options
    RendevousRendevous Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    Calm down, it's a figure of speech "worried about" doesnt mean I spend my time fretting about it :rolleyes:

Well the only thing he's got wrong was getting Jim beaten up and making the character of Jim impossible to return because of that dreadful storyline.

The rest I couldn't give a toss about Eddie leaving won't harm the show he's clearly deadwood the show won't suffer just because he won't be there any longer! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    callumfreemancallumfreeman Posts: 12,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rendevous wrote: »
    Well the only thing he's got wrong was getting Jim beaten up and making the character of Jim impossible to return because of that dreadful storyline.

The rest I couldn't give a toss about Eddie leaving won't harm the show he's clearly deadwood the show won't suffer just because he won't be there any longer! :rolleyes:

How is Eddie deadwood? I think he fits in nicely with the Windass Family and will be a shame he is leaving.

I think when people use the term deadwood (a word I really dislike now) they mean characters they dislike, not characters that are not needed.