Options

Samsung Plasma TV relay-clicks when switched off

Bit curious about this.

I have a Samsung 42" plasma TV. The set is around four and a half years old.

Something I've noticed that it's been doing from new (i.e. this problem has not been getting worse, it seems to be a 'feature' of the TV) is that, when in standby, it will occasionally flick its power supply relays on and off. The set does not exhibit any other characteristics that would be seen as odd, and it has never failed to switch on or powered up spontaneously.

Does anyone know what exactly the set is doing?

Comments

• Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's checking for firmware updates.
  • Options
    TenesmusTenesmus Posts: 463
    Forum Member
    Yep - if you delve into the menus you'll find an option to switch it off. My (different model) Samsung does anyway.
  • Options
    jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that fastest finger and Tenesmus, I'll look into it. I hardly ever use the Freeview receiver on the TV and I can't see them releasing any new firmware OTA at this stage, so I'll look into disabling this option.

It's obvious really now I think about it :)
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjne wrote: »
    Thanks for that fastest finger and Tenesmus, I'll look into it. I hardly ever use the Freeview receiver on the TV and I can't see them releasing any new firmware OTA at this stage, so I'll look into disabling this option.

It's obvious really now I think about it :)

I don't even have an aerial, so I have it switched off.

It may be slightly different, but to disable mine, it was -

Menu -> support -> software upgrade -> and switch Standby Mode Upgrade to OFF.