Options

Andy Murray: The Man Behind the Racquet documentary

MakinItHappenMakinItHappen Posts: 1,555
Forum Member
✭✭✭
When Andy first broke onto the scene, many tennis fans across the world did not like the man he appeared on the surface, but I have honestly, NEVER seen SUCH a TURN-AROUND. I think everyone can relate to Andy Murray as a person.

Andy has shown you don't need to be "media trained" you don't need to be continuously diplomatic, because that's the right way to present yourself when in front of the camera. He is just himself!

We've seen him literally grow from a kid on court acting how some kids act in their bedrooms, when they smash everything up because they couldn't get most kills on online call of duty, to now a man that has control of his emoions and frustrations. It's beautiful and I think that's why we are getting individual fanatics of Federer, Nadal and Djokovic taking to him so easily, even though he is a main rival.

Please watch this documentary.

23rd June (Tomorrow) BBC1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/23005673

Comments

• Options
    candyfloss2000candyfloss2000 Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    should be riveting.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess it's all part of growing up. I expect his "interpersonal skills" weren't given a chance of development considering that his focus would have been so tennis orientated in his teens and early twenties. I'm sure the influence of Lendl and a regular girlfriend has helped him to "lighten up."

Certainly worth watching, I'd expect.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    does he smile in it?
  • Options
    DomestiquesDomestiques Posts: 1,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PR fluff designed to make English people like him. Hope he crashes out of Wimbledon after his first match.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still so much Murray hate. Why?:confused: We are fortunate to be in an era of four such talented male tennis players with many more just nipping at their heels. Would people prefer to go back to the boring inevitability of a Sampras win or even Borg?

I shall be watching OP, in fact I set it up on Sky+ yesterday.
  • Options
    andallthatjazzandallthatjazz Posts: 6,413
    Forum Member
    Murray hiring Simon Fuller as PR guru will be a real test on how excellent mgt agent SF really is. However surely no matter how Fuller turnaround Murray's image, one can only do so much for Murray who is such an unlikeable person...he just is.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So excited about this.
  • Options
    big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having net Andy I can tell you he is a genuinely lovely guy.

I think his shyness makes him seem 'boring' but who cares. In an era where we he is up against 3 of the greatest tennis players ever he does us proud
  • Options
    Ramsay LaddersRamsay Ladders Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PR fluff designed to make English people like him. Hope he crashes out of Wimbledon after his first match.

Yaaaay!!! Let the annual anti Murray and Scotland rants begin.....:rolleyes:
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still so much Murray hate. Why?:confused: We are fortunate to be in an era of four such talented male tennis players with many more just nipping at their heels. Would people prefer to go back to the boring inevitability of a Sampras win or even Borg?

I shall be watching OP, in fact I set it up on Sky+ yesterday.

He does seem to have matured now but for many years he was very immature which you did not seem to see in other tennis players of similar age.

He suffered partly because the Scottish press latched onto him a very young age and expected him to be immediately be winning at Wimbledon. The Scottish press has a tendency to often widely exaggerate the potential of Scottish sports people. I always got the impression they desperately wanted him to achieve what Henman never quite did.

He then made the stupid mistake of jumping on the bandwagon of saying he wanted England to lose at some football match, forgetting that the real money in any sport is not the prize money but sponsorship and Scotland is a relatively small market so he should not be alienating the rest of the country.

Some years ago I read one comment that he had all the bad characteristics of the Scots and none of the good characteristics.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why does it matter, he is a tennis player who wants to win. The media does not matter.
  • Options
    andallthatjazzandallthatjazz Posts: 6,413
    Forum Member
    tothegrand wrote: »
    Why does it matter, he is a tennis player who wants to win. The media does not matter.

Player +Media = Sponsors.....so it matters.

Murray's mgt team is pushing ahead with as much media coverage for him to the point of practically shoving him down our throats at every possible turn because it means sponsorships at the end....more money for everyone concern...nothing more nothing less.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    He does seem to have matured now but for many years he was very immature which you did not seem to see in other tennis players of similar age.

He suffered partly because the Scottish press latched onto him a very young age and expected him to be immediately be winning at Wimbledon. The Scottish press has a tendency to often widely exaggerate the potential of Scottish sports people. I always got the impression they desperately wanted him to achieve what Henman never quite did.

He then made the stupid mistake of jumping on the bandwagon of saying he wanted England to lose at some football match, forgetting that the real money in any sport is not the prize money but sponsorship and Scotland is a relatively small market so he should not be alienating the rest of the country.

Some years ago I read one comment that he had all the bad characteristics of the Scots and none of the good characteristics.

But that was a long time ago when he was young and is, frankly, the sort of thing football fans say about each others teams all the time. Time to let go. Let's not forget we were once prepared to let Buster Mottram represent us in the Davis Cup and I found his political views much more repugnant than a silly bit of football banter.

Personnally, I don't care what team he supports, nor if he's a natural joker or not just as long as he plays the best tennis he can on the day and then he's fulfilled every obligation necessary to me as a fan of the game.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roll on Wimbledon, best of luck to Andy.
    So many of our "hopefuls" will be "bigged" up by the papers and the BBC, before inevitably disappointing us.

I'm hoping for "more tennis" and less "rabbit" this year, some of which seems to be encroaching into the first few strokes of some games.
    But I'm bound to be disappointed there too.
  • Options
    gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's a talented sportsman - good luck to him.

He also happens to be human, with the all the frailties that go with being human. If we go looking for perfection amongst people we admire, we're always going to be left feeling disappointed.
  • Options
    pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »

Did the Scottish press latch on to him and expect him to win Wimbledon immediately? I can't remember this happening. When and who claimed he would win Wimbledon?

I do remember it being suggested that he was a very good prospect and could go onto be a grand slam winner, but I don't think anyone in the Scottish press put pressure on him.

As for the 'anyone but England' comment, this was blown out of all proportion by a mainly English press, led by the Daily Mail.

This was a joke between him, Tim Henman and the journalist Des Kelly, Henman explains it further here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqQsHBwkDgQ

However there are still some people ignorant enough to claim he is anti-English. Utter nonsense.
  • Options
    F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm watching this for Sue Barker! :D

Ken
  • Options
    ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    When Andy first broke onto the scene, many tennis fans across the world did not like the man he appeared on the surface, but I have honestly, NEVER seen SUCH a TURN-AROUND. I think everyone can relate to Andy Murray as a person.

Andy has shown you don't need to be "media trained" you don't need to be continuously diplomatic, because that's the right way to present yourself when in front of the camera. He is just himself!

We've seen him literally grow from a kid on court acting how some kids act in their bedrooms, when they smash everything up because they couldn't get most kills on online call of duty, to now a man that has control of his emoions and frustrations. It's beautiful and I think that's why we are getting individual fanatics of Federer, Nadal and Djokovic taking to him so easily, even though he is a main rival.

Please watch this documentary.

23rd June (Tomorrow) BBC1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/23005673

I for one,certainly will. I must admit I started off not liking him much, especially the alleged remark about football and the way he flexed his muscles at the end of a particular match, can't remember which one. I thought it looked very silly at the time but his whole demeanour on court has changed since then.
    I have completely changed my mind and I think the changing point came when he was reduced to tears at Wimbledon, he just came over as very human and I loved the charity match between him, Tim, Ivan (I have always been a fan of Tim and Ivan) and Tomas at Queen's last week, it was great fun. He was again reduced to tears talking about his friend and former doubles partner, Ross Hutchins, who is fighting cancer.
    And as a footnote, no I do not think the tears on either occasion were contrived as someone suggested over on the tennis thread.
    All in all a good TV evening for me...The White Queen and Andy!!
  • Options
    hallstarhallstar Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking forward to this but I suspect the people who watch this already like him, and the haters won't tune in as it might show the things they hate him for are not true.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish him well at Wimbledon, and hope that he uses the prize money to get lessons on public speaking. "Monotone" Murray is just so boring when he speaks and does interviews.
  • Options
    ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    I wish him well at Wimbledon, and hope that he uses the prize money to get lessons on public speaking. "Monotone" Murray is just so boring when he speaks and does interviews.

I agree with you there, he is not good at public speaking but I too wish him well at Wimbledon...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pedrok wrote: »
    Did the Scottish press latch on to him and expect him to win Wimbledon immediately? I can't remember this happening. When and who claimed he would win Wimbledon?

I do remember it being suggested that he was a very good prospect and could go onto be a grand slam winner, but I don't think anyone in the Scottish press put pressure on him.

As for the 'anyone but England' comment, this was blown out of all proportion by a mainly English press, led by the Daily Mail.

This was a joke between him, Tim Henman and the journalist Des Kelly, Henman explains it further here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqQsHBwkDgQ

However there are still some people ignorant enough to claim he is anti-English. Utter nonsense.
    Its amazing how the `Daily Mail' is to blame every time someone puts their `Foot in their Mouth`, as a reminder it was not only Murray`s comment that he would support `Any Football Team` but England, but at the same time was receiving tennis grants from England's coffers. Money which helped him thrive to the position he now finds himself. :(:(
  • Options
    pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ecckles wrote: »
    Its amazing how the `Daily Mail' is to blame every time someone puts their `Foot in their Mouth`, as a reminder it was not only Murray`s comment that he would support `Any Football Team` but England, but at the same time was receiving tennis grants from England's coffers. Money which helped him thrive to the position he now finds himself. :(:(

You are of course suggesting that Murray put his foot in his mouth, when, of course, as Henman admits, he didn't. That of course didn't stop the likes of the Daily Mail running a campaign against him, which in turn led to some very nasty comments left on his website. Just to remind you again, it was a joke between him, Henman and Kelly. In fact, if anything, and Henman admits this, it was in reply to some 'anti-Scottish' comments from Henman and Kelly!!! Which of course were not 'anti-English, just to be clear.

Grants from English coffers? What coffers?
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,034
    Forum Member
    Ironically going by recent comments there are a lot of English football fans who whilst wouldn't want England to lose a game couldn't really care less how they did because of the attitude and personality of the footballers who worry more about their image than their game.

Murray seems like a professional dedicated to his sport which is all you can really ask for.

Most sportspeople are media savvy these days and trained to say the right things - partly because if they make a joke or say something people jump on it/twist words etc.

BTW Even Rodger Federer had quite a temper on him as a youngster so it wasn't just Murray who was maybe immature.
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    ecckles wrote: »

Money from British (we're not independent yet!) coffers, what little there was of it. Remember that Murray had to go abroad for proper tuition, the LTA being a bunch of useless wasters. You might consider the millions of quid they rake in from Wimbers every year, and then wonder why the next best British tennis player is ranked 216th in the world. But hey, if it's easier instead to heap hatred on Murray's head then by all means carry on.