Drinking & Driving - Is is [secretly] acceptable?

thebtmanthebtman Posts: 706
Forum Member
✭✭
Drinking & Driving - Is is [secretly] acceptable?

I ask this because a number of rural pubs I have been to seem to have a very liberal view towards D&D.

What are your views?

Is it as dangerous rurally? Should rural pubs have an exclusion to the drink drive law?

What is your local rural landlord like? Would you report someone? Or are you spineless?

Comments

• RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [No, it isn't]
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    No, it's not acceptable, rural or urban.
  • irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely not... did it once only a few hundred feet down a country lane and i'm still ashamed of it..
  • thebtmanthebtman Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm looking for real world opinions, not the default obvious answer "NO".

Obviously most will say no. But the reality at rural pubs isnt "no".
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    thebtman wrote: »

Mine WAS a real world opinion.

No, it is not acceptable.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only time it's morally acceptable is if you're on your own property, and there's nobody else for miles around. And even then it's monstrously stupid.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What if the real world opinion is No?
  • mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What if the real world opinion is No?

Something like "why am I leaking claret from that crack in my skull while lying upside down in a flaming car in a farmers ditch talking like a washing machine"
  • Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member
    Friend of mine drove home on a "Rural" road after only a few beers, he misjudged a corner and went off into the Ditch, he is now 100% blind in both eyes
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thebtman wrote: »

I lived in a rural area for some years and worked in pubs...the answer is still NO.

But don't let that stop you from dismissing every NO reply you get until you get one YES answer, which you will then no doubt feel overwhelmingly confirms and validates your assertion.
  • Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously some people think it's acceptable or there would be no drink drivers but those people are quite clearly morons.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't believe you asked that. How can it be acceptable, apart to the idiots who do it?
    About time the law was changed anyway, lower the limit.
  • Cellar_DoorCellar_Door Posts: 2,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd report anyone who got behind the wheel of a car if I suspected they'd been drinking, and I'd happily tell them it was me too.

I don't see your point about the rural aspect. If there are rural pubs then it stands to reason there are folk using these pubs so what's to say a drunk driver couldn't run over someone using the same pub. I drive through a village twice daily to get to and from work I wouldn't want to have a head on collision with some moron who thought it was ok to drive while pissed up on warm beer.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand what the OP is getting at and he/she has a point.

In some rural areas it's the done thing. I'm not saying people get plastered and attempt to drive a car, but they have 2 or 3 pints, this firmly pushes them over the limit and they drive anyway. That is seemingly acceptable in these places.

They might justify it to themselves by 'giving it half an hour', but ironically given the way alcohol absorption works this means they are even more likely to be drunk by the time they're on the road.

Pubs have car parks, sometimes quite big car parks. That tells you all you need to know really.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not acceptable, but it openly goes on especially in small communities.

Even Alistair Stewart got done for it. Police Camera Action indeed.

It is dangerous but its all chance.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tothegrand wrote: »
    Its not acceptable, but it openly goes on especially in small communities.

Even Alistair Stewart got done for it. Police Camera Action indeed.

It is dangerous but its all chance.

I think that's the point though. If it 'openly' goes on and nobody reports it then it becomes 'de-facto' acceptable within that community.
  • LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Joey_J wrote: »
    Friend of mine drove home on a "Rural" road after only a few beers, he misjudged a corner and went off into the Ditch, he is now 100% blind in both eyes

Yeah...I'd have said rural was probably a lot more dangerous.
  • goldframedoorgoldframedoor Posts: 1,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joey_J wrote: »
    Which part of the accident made him go 100% blind in both eyes? :eek:
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love threads where the OP has already made up their mind what the answer is and has resolved not to give credence to any other.

And by "love", I mean "hate".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems to be acceptable for a certain member of my family .

He is a notorious drink driver and everyone seems to just turn a blind eye :rolleyes:

Some people get away with it for years on end :(
  • BreadstixBreadstix Posts: 10,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, there should be a zero drink drive limit. One size fits all quotas are dangerous, one person's limit is another person's pissed!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    I think that's the point though. If it 'openly' goes on and nobody reports it then it becomes 'de-facto' acceptable within that community.

The general attitude is "if they want to drive drunk its up to them".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    In about 5 years time we'll be able to connect our cars to the internet, which will have our journey home automatically stored into the car, so that the it will be able to magically drive us home after we've been down the pub having 10 pints and a sing song.
  • mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Breadstix wrote: »
    No, there should be a zero drink drive limit. One size fits all quotas are dangerous, one person's limit is another person's pissed!

I agree, as the law stands now you can still be prosecuted for drink driving even if you are under the limit after being involved in an accident, maybe if the same rules were applied prior to an accident there would be a lot less of them.
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you kill someone because you were drinking and driving, then you will have your real world answer, you tool!