Options

Why is it automatically assumed we love summer?

1manonthebog1manonthebog Posts: 3,707
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ever listened to the weather forecast lately. "It is going to be beautiful today, We are in for a glorious spell of warm sunshine" Might just be me but I can honestly say I hate warm sunshine, it is my idea of torture.

It might be fantastic stuck in the park doing nothing or in a nice air conditioned office etc but for the rest of us sweating when trying to do the smallest tasks does not appeal to me at all, the inability to get to sleep at night leave me irritable, the list could go on.

No thank you sir, give me Autumn any day.

Comments

• Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to dread hot weather, But I am in more pain as soon as it cools off so roll on a HOT summer please!
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like the heat or the bright mornings.
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love summer the most out of the seasons. I am a summer baby with my birthday due next month. I love getting my summer outfits on, drinking cider in a beer garden till the late evening and watching the sun go down.

Having said that I do love a nice long walk on a crisp frosty winters morning wrapped up warm. But I dislike the fact that I get up and it's still pitch black and when I leave work it's pitch black
  • Options
    shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Summer probably appeals to the majority. .my family are farmers..market gardeners and often rain is longed for by them. .doesn't mean the rest of us want it.

I personally love summer. .the light mornings and evenings are so uplifting and enjoy the warmth that comes with it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get odd looks of disbelief if i ever say that i actually prefer cooler days and that i'd take spring/autumn over summer anytime.
    It's just assumed that we all love hot weather - I don't!
  • Options
    charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On a lovely, warm summer's day the world feels like an infinitely better place
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ever listened to the weather forecast lately. "It is going to be beautiful today, We are in for a glorious spell of warm sunshine" Might just be me but I can honestly say I hate warm sunshine, it is my idea of torture.

It might be fantastic stuck in the park doing nothing or in a nice air conditioned office etc but for the rest of us sweating when trying to do the smallest tasks does not appeal to me at all, the inability to get to sleep at night leave me irritable, the list could go on.

Because the majority of us love it. What's not to understand about that? We're not talking rocket science here.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A sunny spring day or a crispy winter's day for me, the heat in summer makes me feel weary

11°C on Saturday and Sunday. :)

There's nothing worse than a warm,stuffy bedroom in the summer and you cannot get to sleep.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i loathe it, i stay in as much as possible i was out in it for maybe an hour yesterday in the late afternoon and my face is now blistered on my cheekbones near my eyes.
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Temperatures don't need to be soaring well into the 30's degrees C's (threatening 100 degrees farenheit) for it to be good weather.

When the BBC forecasters salivate as such high temperatures for the next several days somewhere in the UK you know it's going to be unbearable throughout the Uk with that azores high over the whole of the Uk hung around just that bit too long for comfort.

Sunny under clear blue skies and light breeze at 20 to 25 degrees C (i.e upper 60's to mid high 70's farenheit) is good enough. Anything in excess is just too hot, sticky and sweaty.

People who say 32 degrees C is pleasantly warm they are just being ridiculous as to most people it's unbearably hot.
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer spring or autum... Sunny but cool. Bit of breeze.... Lovely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    david16 wrote: »
    Temperatures don't need to be soaring well into the 30's degrees C's (threatening 100 degrees farenheit) for it to be good weather.

When the BBC forecasters salivate as such high temperatures for the next several days somewhere in the UK you know it's going to be unbearable throughout the Uk with that azores high over the whole of the Uk hung around just that bit too long for comfort.

Unbearable for some. Personally a few days of high 20s or low 30s would be great. So far this year I don't think we've had 2 days in a row of 25c or higher. So the Daily Express and others who reported we would have a scorching June have been talking out of their arses as usual.
  • Options
    BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a love hate relationship with Summer, I'd rather have Winter.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because a big majority like it, that's why, ergo...
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,642
    Forum Member
    Not that DS is predictable or anything, but yay, time for the annual "I get sweaty at the tiniest inkling of the temperature going into double figures and I hate it" thread... woo! Stop being so pathetic. It isn't that hot.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    malpasc wrote: »
    Not that DS is predictable or anything, but yay, time for the annual "I get sweaty at the tiniest inkling of the temperature going into double figures and I hate it" thread... woo! Stop being so pathetic. It isn't that hot.

Well exactly. Go to somewhere like the Middle East or Africa, then you'll know what really hot temperatures are.

It's a whopping 22 degrees C here outside. That's two degrees above room temperature.

And people are still complaining.
    shackfan wrote: »
    Because the majority of us love it. What's not to understand about that? We're not talking rocket science here.

However, for some people it appears to be.

I've met very few people that prefer winter over summer.

It isn't automatically assumed we love summer. I happen to do so, but I'm not speaking for everyone else.

Not many butterflies around in winter and not much UK cricket either. Two things I like, for example.

=

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=78457850&postcount=78
    jra wrote: »
    Yes, like complaining about the weather in the UK, all the bloody time, when IMO there is little justification for doing so, when you look at the very bad weather some other parts of the world get on a fairly regular basis, like earthquakes, tornadoes, monsoons, hurricanes, tsunamis, typhoons, volcanoes, permanent darkness or light, extreme cold or hot temperatures, violent thunder storms, blizzards, snow storms, large hailstones, flash floods etc.

The UK has some of the most temperate and changeable weather in the world, few extremes, so be glad about it.

If you can't handle it, emigrate. Simple. :p
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    21 to 25 degrees C is better and far more comfortable than 32 to 36 degrees C.

Believe it or not it can still rain while the temperatures are 28 to 32 degrees C. And a rainy day at 29 degrees C e.g. is a horrid experience.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    david16 wrote: »
    21 to 25 degrees C is better and far more comfortable than 32 to 36 degrees C.

Believe it or not it can still rain while the temperatures are 28 to 32 degrees C. And a rainy day at 29 degrees C e.g. is a horrid experience.

No shit Sherlock! It can actually rain at any temperature. Warm rain is lovely.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I prefer it when the sun is out. I just get a feeling to do more, when it's dark and grey everything seems a chore. When the suns out it just makes me feel better.
  • Options
    EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    We went to bed and got up again as it was too hot so no sleep for us!

I hate summer
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We went to bed and got up again as it was too hot so no sleep for us!

I hate summer

But we haven't had any warm nights yet :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But we haven't had any warm nights yet :confused:

It's been warm here
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's been warm here

Where is that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Where is that?

Where we live, newcastle

Been up to 22c in the flat
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Where we live, newcastle

Been up to 22c in the flat

That's hardly warm, let alone hot.

That's 2 degrees C above room temperature, as I said above.

I guessing you are quite obese, as you claimed to be able to eat two Subway footlongs in a day, no worries, in another thread, so if you are, you will get hot more easily than a person of average build.

I'm not exactly skinny myself at 13.5 stones for a 6 foot 1 inch person.