Lying

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,760
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was just wondering how you would react if one of your best friends made up lies just to provoke a reaction or sympathy from you.

I've been friends with my best friend for 10 years and she has always been attention seeking and frequently made up lies just so see what reaction she would get. I didn't really let that stand in the way of our friendship, because I didn't think it's worth sacrificing a friendship over this.

However, recently she sent me and my other friend a text late at night saying she has been dumped by her boyfriend and that she was devastated. Naturally, I comforted her, tried to make her feel better. My other friend was also extremely upset for her. But several days later, she revealed that this was all a joke- that's right...................she made the whole thing up and played along for some time, just so she could get a reaction out of us. Worst of all, she didn't even accept that what she did was wrong and refuses to apologise for her actions. I told her that I refuse to speak to her until she does.

I was just wondering if I'm doing the right thing by taking this so seriously? Am I over reacting?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't say you're over reacting, what would interest me more is why she's feeling the need to lie. I have known people like this before and honestly, I found it infuriating. I also didn't think she seemed able to stop herself though.

I'm wondering whether she maybe needs to talk to her GP or a professional? Unfortunately, if she carries on the way she is she may find she has trouble keeping friends etc.

I'd stick by her, but make it clear that what she is doing is not acceptable in a friendship. If she genuinely doesn't seem to think what she is doing is wrong, then it's unlikely you'll get an apology from her though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your not over-reacting at all...I would speak to your friend about this as if she's willing to lie about that for "a joke" what else are they willing to lie about

AJxx
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh god, there are so many people like this you'll meet through life it's untrue :rolleyes:

It all really depends on you now. I'm not an overly patient person when it comes to lying or stupidity and find drama queens tend to go hand in hand with time consuming ego stroking sessions and very little support when you need it - in fact DQ's tend to play the one up manship game of their life is harder than yours - I can't be bothered and will cut all but superficial ties and only then if I really have to bump into them once in a while.

If you feel she's worth it and you have a strong loyalty to her, I would recommend confronting her head on. She's made it easier at least by admitting this time she's lied. Point out to her that it's demonstrating a complete lack of social skills to lie to gain attention. You're her friend because you like her, she doesn't need to go out of her way to make herself interesting.

Good luck with that...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for your responses.

The thing is, it's pointless trying to explain to her why what she did was wrong. She just refuses to listen or to believe it and she thinks I'm overreacting. She says she did NOTHING wrong and again she's making herself out to be the victim. She's alienated a lot of her friends through her dishonesty and I'm just about the only friend she has left. Yet she feels it's everyone who has the problem, not her.
  • BellaaahhhhBellaaahhhh Posts: 19,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course you're not over-reacting. I can never understand why telling a lie can be called a joke. A joke is something which provokes laughter and lies rarely do that. Would she have laughed if you had done something similar to her?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IronCat wrote: »
    Oh god, there are so many people like this you'll meet through life it's untrue :rolleyes:

It all really depends on you now. I'm not an overly patient person when it comes to lying or stupidity and find drama queens tend to go hand in hand with time consuming ego stroking sessions and very little support when you need it - in fact DQ's tend to play the one up manship game of their life is harder than yours - I can't be bothered and will cut all but superficial ties and only then if I really have to bump into them once in a while.

If you feel she's worth it and you have a strong loyalty to her, I would recommend confronting her head on. She's made it easier at least by admitting this time she's lied. Point out to her that it's demonstrating a complete lack of social skills to lie to gain attention. You're her friend because you like her, she doesn't need to go out of her way to make herself interesting.

Good luck with that...

I've tried all that, but it's like talking to a brick wall. She doesn't accept the fact that she does it to gain attention, and she refuses to accept that she lied, because to her it was a "joke"! She's now accusing me of picking fights with her over this and upsetting her.
  • hugsiehugsie Posts: 17,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You have encouraged her lies, by accepting the behaviour all these years, so it is not surprising that she sees nothing wrong. Explain to her that if she wishes to maintain your friendship she must accept that her lies must stop and the friendship must be based in honesty. Tell her that why she does them is not relevent, what is, or should be relevent is that she has hurt you and weakened your friendship with her lies.
    If her jokes mean more to her than your friendship you know where you stand.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    laska wrote: »
    I've tried all that, but it's like talking to a brick wall. She doesn't accept the fact that she does it to gain attention, and she refuses to accept that she lied, because to her it was a "joke"! She's now accusing me of picking fights with her over this and upsetting her.

Mmm, now this is going to be terrible advice, but I'd tell her that if she's upset now, she's going to be hysterical when she finds out I've been telling everyone she's a manipulative lying loony-tunes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,929
    Forum Member

Good luck with that...

Absolutely brilliant response by Ironcat (who's posts I've never encountered). Spot on!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hugsie wrote: »
    You have encouraged her lies, by accepting the behaviour all these years, so it is not surprising that she sees nothing wrong. Explain to her that if she wishes to maintain your friendship she must accept that her lies must stop and the friendship must be based in honesty. Tell her that why she does them is not relevent, what is, or should be relevent is that she has hurt you and weakened your friendship with her lies.
    If her jokes mean more to her than your friendship you know where you stand.

That is true, I agree with you. It's probably all my fault anyway, but I hate picking fights or confrontations, but I'm just so sick of it by now, which is why I've spoken up .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mmm, now this is going to be terrible advice, but I'd tell her that if she's upset now, she's going to be hysterical when she finds out I've been telling everyone she's a manipulative lying loony-tunes.

:D:D I really shouldn't laugh at this
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is true, I agree with you. It's probably all my fault anyway, but I hate picking fights or confrontations, but I'm just so sick of it by now, which is why I've spoken up .

No it is not. That is just what she wants you to think, so that she can continue her bad behaviour unchallenged. If you do not draw a line now, every lie and every exaggeration will drain a little more of your affection for this friend until one day you dislike her and have no respect for her.

What kind of friend can she ever be when you cannot trust her word? I mean when a good friend gives you bad or tragic news, your first thoughts should be sympathetic not is this another one of her stories.

She may end up being alone with her stories, but if she is it will be down to her choices not yours.
  • HampshireHannahHampshireHannah Posts: 1,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for your responses.

The thing is, it's pointless trying to explain to her why what she did was wrong. She just refuses to listen or to believe it and she thinks I'm overreacting. She says she did NOTHING wrong and again she's making herself out to be the victim. She's alienated a lot of her friends through her dishonesty and I'm just about the only friend she has left. Yet she feels it's everyone who has the problem, not her.

Have you asked her what she thinks might have caused "everyone else's problem"? After all, it must be something pretty big for so many people to have the same problem.

I would discuss with her what she thinks is important in a friendship, and whether or not that includes honesty and respect. If she doesn't think they are important then she's not worth your time. If she does think they are then you need to tell her that she should have no problems respecting your feelings and being honest with you (and make it clear to her that any "jokes" that could be misconstrued as untruthful are considered dishonesty too).

If she values your friendship then she'll listen to how you feel and try to change the behaviour that upsets you, regardless of whether she thinks you're right or wrong to be upset. If she's not prepared to do that then she clearly doesn't respect your friendship and you're better off without her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was just wondering how you would react if one of your best friends made up lies just to provoke a reaction or sympathy from you.

I was just wondering if I'm doing the right thing by taking this so seriously? Am I over reacting?

No - that is crap and you don't treat your friends like that. Just stop giving her the reaction. She will soon learn. Especially if something really does happen and you don't text back or ring her with the sympathy!
  • galenagalena Posts: 7,277
    Forum Member

I've been friends with my best friend for 10 years and she has always been attention seeking and frequently made up lies just so see what reaction she would get. I didn't really let that stand in the way of our friendship, because I didn't think it's worth sacrificing a friendship over this.

However, recently she sent me and my other friend a text late at night saying she has been dumped by her boyfriend and that she was devastated. Naturally, I comforted her, tried to make her feel better. My other friend was also extremely upset for her. But several days later, she revealed that this was all a joke- that's right...................she made the whole thing up and played along for some time, just so she could get a reaction out of us. Worst of all, she didn't even accept that what she did was wrong and refuses to apologise for her actions. I told her that I refuse to speak to her until she does.

Remind her about the boy who cried 'wolf' and warn her that if she really does get dumped the danger is that her friends will treat it like a joke!
  • CorinCorin Posts: 7,224
    Forum Member
    I've been friends with my best friend for 10 years and she has always been attention seeking and [HIGHLIGHT]frequently made up lies[/HIGHLIGHT] just so see what reaction she would get.
    Why would you want a best friend who was an attention seeking liar?

A friendship is based on trust.

Trust cannot exist when one of the parties is an habitual liar.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corin wrote: »
    Why would you want a best friend who was an attention seeking liar?

A friendship is based on trust.

Trust cannot exist when one of the parties is an habitual liar.

Yep, exactly....I don't know why I put up with it for so long really. I suppose I thought I was overreacting and maybe taking things too seriously.

But now I've realized that she won't change......I've tried telling her that what she did was wrong and mentioned the whole "cry wolf" thing to her, yet she refuses to admit she's a liar. To her it was just a joke, and she thinks she's the victim in all of this. She said that "she can't believe I'm treating her like this". So basically there's no point in continuing the friendship.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is a pity, but you can only hope that yours is the friendship that matters enough to her to at least make her start to question her behaviour. It is doubtful, but at least your ending the friendship gives her another chance to change.
  • Forza FerrariForza Ferrari Posts: 7,433
    Forum Member
    I've known people like this before as well.

They do basicaly have a mental problem and it would really take a lot for them to relise it.

You'r best off getting rid of her as she is unlikely to change.

Word to the wise a wee bit of stealing seems to go along with behaviour like this.