Dallas: New Series Starts Wednesday 5 September 9 pm

Comments

• lyndalahugheslyndalahughes Posts: 270
    Forum Member
    Due to the UK now being a week behind the US I've watched next weeks episode last night. You're in for a real good laugh:
    Valene shows up looking younger than Lucy. Really bad plastic surgery compared to Linda Gray, I hope she gave Joan Van Ark her surgeon's number!
    Forum Member
    Listentome wrote: »
    James Beaumont, probably won't be mentioned. Just one of those Dallas anomalies.

I did wonder why Gary and Lucy didn't have any contact, but given she was soon forgotten as his daughter in the Knots Landing reality its no surprise. Also, more to the point, why is Gary ok with seeing Bobby alive when in his Knots Landing reality Bobby remained dead. :D

I guess if they are going to feature original series characters they can't get bogged down with details without distracting from the current stories.
    Lucy gives Gary a dirty look next week when her mother arrives.

I like how all the other children apart from John Ross and Christopher have all been forgotten.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting end to original season 2 with JR declaring his love for Sue Ellen by her hospital bed maybe he genuinely did love her but could never show it.
  • bel110bel110 Posts: 14,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was just wondering, I can't remember what happened when Bobby 'died' ...

Was it that the actor quit and then wanted to come back or was persuaded back as ratings took a dive? Or was it that he was dropped from the show and then they realised they'd made a mistake and asked him back?
  • Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bel110 wrote: »
    I was just wondering, I can't remember what happened when Bobby 'died' ...

Was it that the actor quit and then wanted to come back or was persuaded back as ratings took a dive? Or was it that he was dropped from the show and then they realised they'd made a mistake and asked him back?

Duffy wanted to leave, and I believe it was at his insistence that Bobby be killed off. The season that followed was, contrary to popular belief, generally quite good, with a seemingly final resolution to Sue Ellen's drinking, and indeed her and JR's relationship. There was also the introduction of a female villain Angelica Nero.

Ratings did slip, though not by much and it was still in both the UK and US top 5. There were a raft of new shows that arrived in 1985 on both sides of the Atlantic, in the US you had the arrival of the likes of the Golden Girls and the rebirth of American sitcoms, in the UK Eastenders arrived on BBC1.

The main reason for bringing Bobby back was the sense that without him the show lacked direction. It was built on the conflict within the Ewing family, with Bobby gone most of the conflict was gone, indeed during the dream season, JR gets full control of Ewing oil, but its a hollow victory without Bobby beside him. Pam and JR make peace in the end when she sells him Christopher's Ewing oil shares, there are no tricks or deceptions, JR pays the fair market price with no argument., Sue Ellen and JR make peace. Its telling JR wasn't the main villian of the season.

Larry Hagman has said without Bobby Dallas morphed into something it wasn't i.e. a clone of Dynasty and probably had one season left to it. Its a fair assessment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Interesting end to original season 2 with JR declaring his love for Sue Ellen by her hospital bed maybe he genuinely did love her but could never show it.

It wouldn't be the last time either, there are similar scenes in season 6 and again in the dream season. JR really did love Sue Ellen, and she loved him, but he just couldn't stop himself from hurting her but she was no angel either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lucy gives Gary a dirty look next week when her mother arrives.

I like how all the other children apart from John Ross and Christopher have all been forgotten.

TBH it works better that way. Most people stopped watching the original show around season 11, so wouldn't even know who all the other wifes/children were.
  • bel110bel110 Posts: 14,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phil 2804 wrote: »
    Duffy wanted to leave, and I believe it was at his insistence that Bobby be killed off. The season that followed was, contrary to popular belief, generally quite good, with a seemingly final resolution to Sue Ellen's drinking, and indeed her and JR's relationship. There was also the introduction of a female villain Angelica Nero.

Ratings did slip, though not by much and it was still in both the UK and US top 5. There were a raft of new shows that arrived in 1985 on both sides of the Atlantic, in the US you had the arrival of the likes of the Golden Girls and the rebirth of American sitcoms, in the UK Eastenders arrived on BBC1.

The main reason for bringing Bobby back was the sense that without him the show lacked direction. It was built on the conflict within the Ewing family, with Bobby gone most of the conflict was gone, indeed during the dream season, JR gets full control of Ewing oil, but its a hollow victory without Bobby beside him. Pam and JR make peace in the end when she sells him Christopher's Ewing oil shares, there are no tricks or deceptions, JR pays the fair market price with no argument., Sue Ellen and JR make peace. Its telling JR wasn't the main villian of the season.

Larry Hagman has said without Bobby Dallas morphed into something it wasn't i.e. a clone of Dynasty and probably had one season left to it. Its a fair assessment.

Thanks, that's really interesting ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Cathy Podewell doesn't look so bad.

she looked rather bad :D

but Debroah Shelton who plays Mandy Winger hasnt changed much
  • sofieellissofieellis Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cody1 wrote: »
    sounds about normal everytime i get into a decent series just because "Their ratings" arent top notch they go and cancel the damn show ffs !

Loving Dallas, and i loved the tribute to Larry Hagman well deserved, especially the opening credits with the music/picture changes very fitting :)

COuldn't agree more about the tribute - I cried :cry::o
    Ryland or his mother have to be related in some way to the Ewings the whole storyline doesn't fit in unless they are there was no need to bring in a lost daughter unless it was to bring those to into it.

Mitch Pileggi played the nutter JR fought when he got himself locked up in the looney bin in 1990 is he definitely playing a different character or could it be the same character?

Oh - I didn't realise the actor had been in it before. I remember these episodes, but would never have made the connection.

ETA: just checked his IMDB, and he also played another (unnamed) character in Dallas in 1983!
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    SteveOwen wrote: »
    So was I. Perhaps that's still to come. Was a bit odd that he didn't give a speech at the funeral though. Elena and Christopher did but not JR's own son?

I'm sure they ushered to him to speak and he shook his head?
    I hope we do get some sort of scene with John Ross...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    loved the tribute to Larry Hagman well deserved, especially the opening credits with the music/picture changes very fitting

yea, i found it rather sad :(
  • Rozzi RainbowRozzi Rainbow Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    I never really watched the first season of New Dallas (and am too young to remember it from the first time round) and only really got into it when they started showing them again after Larry Hagman died - then they went and stopped that just as I was getting into it! So I caught up with it when they repeated the whole series over Christmas and New Year.

I'm enjoying this series so far and have just watched Tuesday's episode again after originally watching it on Wednesday - I really can't understand them showing it so late on Tuesdays, even 10pm would be better than 11pm. I think this was the best episode so far this series - enough to make me register to post this after reading this thread for the past few weeks! I really felt for John Ross through the whole episode, he broke my heart :cry: I wanted to just reach into the tv and give him a big hug. I'm quite glad he didn't actually say anything at the funeral, I think I would have been in bits, Sue Ellen's speech was bad enough. :cry: It's still getting to me now, what with the music and John Ross just sitting there holding the flag, and I finished watching it an hour ago! I thought the opening credits were a nice tribute to Larry Hagman, but thought they'd show "In memory of" of something like that at the end, maybe they'll do that at the very end of the series. I loved Christopher thumping that guy at the memorial instead of letting John Ross do it.

I somehow thought this was the last episode so was surprised when they announced it's on next week. It's a good job it is, the last scene was confusing enough, I hope it all gets explained next week.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 367
    Forum Member

I somehow thought this was the last episode so was surprised when they announced it's on next week. It's a good job it is, the last scene was confusing enough, I hope it all gets explained next week.

Theres7 or 8 more eps to go and the killer plot is to run for the rest of the season, though think it will be resolved incase season 3 doesn't happen. Watch it when I'm done for the week on a late Sunday afternoon and love it. Watched the funeral tonight and obviously LG and PD weren't really acting but how good was Josh Henderson. Jesse m let the side down as usual, along with the drippy Eleana, but its now wide open for Victoria P to come back. I know she's said she won't but before she didn't have a choice, as Larry hated her and he ruled the roost but now...?
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sue Ellen cracked me up tonight unintentionally of course
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting episode on CBS tonight with Pam and Cliff finding out their siblings died of a rare genetic disorder which makes you wonder how New Pam came to be.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What the heck did Joan Van Ark look like? :eek::eek: I hope she sued.
  • spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The questions I have are these:

Who is Cliff married to (he was wearing a wedding ring)?

Why is Emma acting like a nymphomaniac?

Seeing as Emma was raised in England, how come she talks with an American accent?

Have James Beaumont & Calley's child been provided for in JR's will & if not then why not?

Why does Valene look like Lucy's sister rather than her mother?

Was Drew lead to believe that nobody would be on the rig?

Why didn't Drew go to the police when that guy threatened to kill Elena if he didn't commit a criminal act?
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another enjoyable episode but with a completely unbelieveable ending. Cliff Barnes used to be a bit of a loser not an evil oligarch. Now he is willing to blow his pregnant daughter up to get back at the Ewings !!!! His main rival was JR who is now dead, he was always on reasonable terms with Bobby. This motiveless strange change in his character is completely baffling. :confused:

I've been wondering about Emma's lack of English accent too, they could have cast an English actress. Ryland and his old mum are so weird I was almost expecting her to reveal that she is a vampire or something. I guess being kept a prisoner for many years explains Emma's need to have sex with as many men as possible. I would like to see her stitch Elena up and sleep with Christopher too but this is only because Elena is my pet hate in the show.

Valene's plastic surgery :eek::eek: she looked so stretched I'm surprised she could speak. Awful, no wonder Gary had left her.

Why did Christopher tell Elena about the double crossing ? Again very odd. The problem I have with this character is that the actor comes across as not very intelligent and to have invented this methane extraction Christopher would have to be brighter than he appears in the show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What the heck did Joan Van Ark look like? :eek::eek: I hope she sued.

Miss Ellie never went for the mutton dressed as lamb look.....
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    haphash wrote: »
    Another enjoyable episode but with a completely unbelieveable ending. Cliff Barnes used to be a bit of a loser not an evil oligarch. Now he is willing to blow his pregnant daughter up to get back at the Ewings !!!! His main rival was JR who is now dead, he was always on reasonable terms with Bobby. This motiveless strange change in his character is completely baffling. :confused: .

I said almost exactly this on the US thread here the other day and it has only gotten worse this week.

A far better plot would have been to let Rylan go ahead and do it - as he is very credible as an evil nutter - and see Cliff racked with angst - torn between his love of Pam and Christopher (his nephew after all!) - and his desire to get revenge for Digger.

Does he now side with Rylan despite all or with Bobby in some wafer thin alliance. That is what would have happened in the Dallas of old.

What happened is just so far removed from the character that it makes you question the credibility of the plot. And once you start thinking like that in a show like Dallas the shark is swimming and the water skis are out.

Now, I assume we will get some even more unbelievable escape scenario played out next week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cliff is way too evil now, & not really an astute enough businessman to become as wealthy as what he now is.
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I said almost exactly this on the US thread here the other day and it has only gotten worse this week.

A far better plot would have been to let Rylan go ahead and do it - as he is very credible as an evil nutter - and see Cliff racked with angst - torn between his love of Pam and Christopher (his nephew after all!) - and his desire to get revenge for Digger.

Does he now side with Rylan despite all or with Bobby in some wafer thin alliance. That is what would have happened in the Dallas of old.

What happened is just so far removed from the character that it makes you question the credibility of the plot. And once you start thinking like that in a show like Dallas the shark is swimming and the water skis are out.

Now, I assume we will get some even more unbelievable escape scenario played out next week.

I agree it would be better if Ryland and him evil mom were the villains of the piece. Cliff Barnes being willing to let his daughter die in pursuit of some ridiculous revenge makes no sense at all.

I saw an old episode on CBS the other day and baby John Ross had just been kidnapped from the hospital. In this episode Cliff Pam and Bobby found the kidnapper working together.
    Forum Member
    Next week sees two faces from the past, but only one was in Dallas...
    Afton Cooper arrives (looks great, she picked a good plastic surgeon) and Lee Majors guest stars as an old flame of Sue Ellen.

I'm liking how the producers listened to fans and made it more about the original characters, so glad Sue Ellen has a more prominent role in season 2. It's well deserved and slightly mimics the original since Sue Ellen was only a minor character in the first season of old Dallas (she wasn't in the opening credits).
    Forum Member
    haphash wrote: »
    I agree it would be better if Ryland and him evil mom were the villains of the piece. Cliff Barnes being willing to let his daughter die in pursuit of some ridiculous revenge makes no sense at all.

I saw an old episode on CBS the other day and baby John Ross had just been kidnapped from the hospital. In this episode Cliff Pam and Bobby found the kidnapper working together.

Yes, Cliff was always close to Bobby.