Options

Chelsea Supporters Thread (Part 5)

Comments

• Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tip top 2 wrote: »
    Chelsea did very well to get a 1 - 1 result, against a very good and determined (and a bit dirty) PSG side. Shaky in defence, bring back Zouma! And not adventurous enough in attack. Again, Fabregas average imo and for £200 k / week, not good enough. No Mata to bring in though.

Zouma is good in the PL now, but he did himself have a shaky start. Throwing him into an away game in the CL against two very big and powerful attackers would have been a risk.

As some have said, he is showing great promise and looks like he could break through into the first team.

Fabregas is a fantastic player and would walk into any PL team. He is suffering from teams doing a number on him - like when hazard had a dip in form last season when teams keep putting two players to swarm him as soon as he gets the ball.

With Hazard and Cesc occupying lots of players, it frees up players like oscar and willian (and brana) to go forward.

You are looking at Mata through rose tinted spectacles. The game has moved on, certainly for us. Mata did absolutely no work tracking back and yes, whilst having a good touch and eye for goal , he was vulnerable to players kicking him off the ball as he is so lightweight.

He is hardly tearing it up at united, as when he plays he keeps losing possession. This is why he will be sold this summer to a league better suited to him.

He stood out in a chelsea team lacking in creativity, but in a chelsea team with oscar, hazard, willian, cusdrado and cesc on top form he wouldnt get in the starting 11.
  • Options
    The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    timboy wrote: »
    Is this real and from earlier on this evening?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeF52IKyeg4

Yep it is.

Not nice to watch.

Not seen many reports but have the media talked about Chelsea fans being tear gassed for no reason?

Yes the idiots on the tube should be named and shamed and are not Chelsea fans but incidents like this happen at a lot of games involving many different teams and have seen a lot worse and nothing next day in the media, While I don't go along with a campaign against Chelsea nonsense these sort of things do remind me of when a reporter admitted his editor told him there was no point in putting forward articles painting Chelsea in a positive light as they would not be published.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    Zouma is good in the PL now, but he did himself have a shaky start. Throwing him into an away game in the CL against two very big and powerful attackers would have been a risk.

As some have said, he is showing great promise and looks like he could break through into the first team.

Fabregas is a fantastic player and would walk into any PL team. He is suffering from teams doing a number on him - like when hazard had a dip in form last season when teams keep putting two players to swarm him as soon as he gets the ball.

With Hazard and Cesc occupying lots of players, it frees up players like oscar and willian (and brana) to go forward.

You are looking at Mata through rose tinted spectacles. The game has moved on, certainly for us. Mata did absolutely no work tracking back and yes, whilst having a good touch and eye for goal , he was vulnerable to players kicking him off the ball as he is so lightweight.

He is hardly tearing it up at united, as when he plays he keeps losing possession. This is why he will be sold this summer to a league better suited to him.

He stood out in a chelsea team lacking in creativity, but in a chelsea team with oscar, hazard, willian, cusdrado and cesc on top form he wouldnt get in the starting 11.

I think Mata would have worked coming on in games where we were clearly on top with loads of possession. The sort of games where we needed a player who could open a stubborn defence.
    But at the price we were offered he would have been an expensive bench warmer. It wouldn't have been fair to Mata either, he deserved a chance elsewhere after realising he didn't fit into Jose's system. I do honestly wish him well and will never forget those two seasons he had as part of our midfield trio of Hazard, Mata and Oscar. They played some wonderful football at times.
  • Options
    Tip top 2Tip top 2 Posts: 784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Chelsea can get key players fit and close to 100%, it should be a win. The attacking players HAVE to start taking a few more chances though, running into the Paris penalty area, and playing better through balls with better, sharper movement generally. Mourhino said of Mata before he was sold, he just passes, and he often did, but they were often killer, defence splitting passes, and Chelsea need that. I do not remember him getting pushed off the ball much, and his feet and brain were too quick for that. His consistency there was outstanding.

I know he's relatively inexperienced, but I would play Zouma. PSG had a lot of free headers on goal, and for me Cahill is not going to make it into next season. Just hoping he's not going to fade much more this season.

We definitely need another world class striker as well, and you hope Remy starts stepping up there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Chelsea can get key players fit and close to 100%, it should be a win. The attacking players HAVE to start taking a few more chances though, running into the Paris penalty area, and playing better through balls with better, sharper movement generally. Mourhino said of Mata before he was sold, he just passes, and he often did, but they were often killer, defence splitting passes, and Chelsea need that. I do not remember him getting pushed off the ball much, and his feet and brain were too quick for that. His consistency there was outstanding.

I know he's relatively inexperienced, but I would play Zouma. PSG had a lot of free headers on goal, and for me Cahill is not going to make it into next season. Just hoping he's not going to fade much more this season.

We definitely need another world class striker as well, and you hope Remy starts stepping up there.

Mata was a wonderful little player, but to use the old description..he didn't have a great engine. In Jose's system, that made him a luxury unless he was a regular goal scorer. The chance to move him on for £37m was just too good to resist.
    Zouma might have been worth the gamble, but I can understand Mourinho not taking it. Anyway, apart from the lapse of concentration with the goal, I thought Cahill had a decent game.
    Agree with you about Remy. He's ok as a back-up, but not a great improvement on Demba Ba in my opinion. Getting a top class striker who is prepared to sit things out waiting for a chance is not going to be easy or cheap. But we do need a top quality alternative to Costa up front, or a prolific scorer from midfield to emerge.
  • Options
    Tip top 2Tip top 2 Posts: 784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mata was a wonderful little player, but to use the old description..he didn't have a great engine. In Jose's system, that made him a luxury unless he was a regular goal scorer. The chance to move him on for £37m was just too good to resist.
    Zouma might have been worth the gamble, but I can understand Mourinho not taking it. Anyway, apart from the lapse of concentration with the goal, I thought Cahill had a decent game.
    Agree with you about Remy. He's ok as a back-up, but not a great improvement on Demba Ba in my opinion. Getting a top class striker who is prepared to sit things out waiting for a chance is not going to be easy or cheap. But we do need a top quality alternative to Costa up front, or a prolific scorer from midfield to emerge.

Good points Mr Blue, but central defence? How many free headers did PSG manage to get on goal? 3 / 4 good chances? Chelsea rarely concede one chance like that in a game. Zouma is very big, very strong, very athletic and very quick. He's still got some learning to do, but is not a gamble imo. I'm not against Cahill. He's still England's best central defender imo, but the CL in the knockout stages can be a higher standard than the world cup. If you're ready, you're ready, just ask Raheem Sterling.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good points Mr Blue, but central defence? How many free headers did PSG manage to get on goal? 3 / 4 good chances? Chelsea rarely concede one chance like that in a game. Zouma is very big, very strong, very athletic and very quick. He's still got some learning to do, but is not a gamble imo. I'm not against Cahill. He's still England's best central defender imo, but the CL in the knockout stages can be a higher standard than the world cup. If you're ready, you're ready, just ask Raheem Sterling.

I think Zouma probably will come in for the second leg after Cahill's blunder. But he was still a gamble for the first leg with only half a dozen appearances for us so far.
    I agree, we did look uncharacteristiclly shaky in defence at times. Azpil wasn't as solid as usual either, but he was up against Lavezzi who is a right handful when he's in the mood. In fact, you have to give a lot of credit to PSG, they are a slick outfit when they're on form. They are very inconsistent though, and unless they've changed, don't travel very well. I'm fairly confident we can pull it off at the Bridge. :)
  • Options
    NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Cahill's form has dropped badly these past few months. Zouma will definitely see a great deal of playing time between now and the end of the season. Maybe won't start against PSG, but I can see him playing if we make it through.....
  • Options
    ButterfliesButterflies Posts: 2,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NinjyBear wrote: »
    Cahill's form has dropped badly these past few months. Zouma will definitely see a great deal of playing time between now and the end of the season. Maybe won't start against PSG, but I can see him playing if we make it through.....
    Cahill has never been particularly good at 1v1 situations and he's also uncomfortable when holding possession which usually results in him pumping long balls which hardly ever reach their intended target. These deficiencies are magnified even more due to our more attacking set up this season. Zouma has started some pretty big games for us this season and he's risen to the challenge every time. If Cahill doesn't sort himself out, he's going to find himself on the bench more often.

On a side note, he did give a wonderful assist for Ivan.
  • Options
    Chelseafan101Chelseafan101 Posts: 2,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a rather ugly incident which rather spoiled my enjoyment of today's Winchester City match.

I found myself near the club shop after waiting in the queue for the snack bar. I found one of my fellow regulars and asked him what he was doing at the weekend, thinking he'd have a ticket to the Southampton game. He then looked pointedly at me and said he'd be "beating up racist Chelsea fans.". Attempting to brush it off, I tried to continue, by saying that I had a ticket to the Chelsea-Burnley game, after which I planned to ring up Call Collymore to air my grievances about him generalizing Chelsea's fanbase as racist. He then says that Collymore was spot on, and that what I wrote (I'd criticized Collymore on social media) was "utter bollocks". I tried to point out that it was only a small minority, but he (in very aggressive tones) tells me to "**** off". I did kiss the badges on my gloves and the one in my coat button in an attempt to appear unfazed, but does my experience count as being physically threatened? Either way, I won't be speaking to him for the rest of the season.

A real shame, too, as City beat the 2nd-placed team 4-0 and recorded a crowd in excess of 400.
  • Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a rather ugly incident which rather spoiled my enjoyment of today's Winchester City match.

I found myself near the club shop after waiting in the queue for the snack bar. I found one of my fellow regulars and asked him what he was doing at the weekend, thinking he'd have a ticket to the Southampton game. He then looked pointedly at me and said he'd be "beating up racist Chelsea fans.". Attempting to brush it off, I tried to continue, by saying that I had a ticket to the Chelsea-Burnley game, after which I planned to ring up Call Collymore to air my grievances about him generalizing Chelsea's fanbase as racist. He then says that Collymore was spot on, and that what I wrote (I'd criticized Collymore on social media) was "utter bollocks". I tried to point out that it was only a small minority, but he (in very aggressive tones) tells me to "**** off". I did kiss the badges on my gloves and the one in my coat button in an attempt to appear unfazed, but does my experience count as being physically threatened? Either way, I won't be speaking to him for the rest of the season.

A real shame, too, as City beat the 2nd-placed team 4-0 and recorded a crowd in excess of 400.

I find it very hard to believe that this actually happened.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would not lie about something so serious.
  • Options
    JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If people think that a handful of "Chelsea" fans views are those of the majority then they are idiots. It's why I avoid the thread about it as the idiot Spurs fan is spouting his views on Chelsea as per usual.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would not lie about something so serious.

I didn't accuse you of lying. I said that I found it hard to believe.

If it happened, as you described, then you obviously encountered a moron. I encounter plenty, every day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's quite jarring though because he was a fellow supporter and I thought the two of us got on well together.
  • Options
    carefree_bluecarefree_blue Posts: 9,054
    Forum Member
    Jokanovic wrote: »
    If people think that a handful of "Chelsea" fans views are those of the majority then they are idiots. It's why I avoid the thread about it as the idiot Spurs fan is spouting his views on Chelsea as per usual.

Indeed, it would be like us generalising about Spurs fans being bitter idiots because he happens to be one himself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's quite jarring though because he was a fellow supporter and I thought the two of us got on well together.

A supporter of Winchester, or Chelsea?

If he was a fellow Winchester supporter, why would he have a ticket for 'the Southampton game'?

If he was a Chelsea supporter, why would he be looking to 'beat up racist Chelsea fans'? That would be an admirable, if misguided, aim.

I'm sorry, I'm just confused.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winchester. And Winchester are a non-league (step 5) club, a lot of their fanbase are Southampton fans.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Winchester. And Winchester are a non-league (step 5) club, a lot of their fanbase are Southampton fans.

Ah, I see.

Makes much more sense. Thank you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Club shop, Snack bar, Winchester, Southampton, Chelsea, Stan Collymore, you kissed your gloves and coat button ? It all sounds like something out of one of those new-wave dramas that are practically impossible to understand.
    Did you get your snack eventually ?
  • Options
    NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Ivanovic again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We need another!

Burnley get away with a red card foul, the intent was there but nothing given!

And an absolute clear as day handball in the penalty box that the ref is looking straight at was not given.

This is atrocious refereeing!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another cast iron penalty denied. A two handed blatant push on Costa ignored by he officials.

What an absolutely disgraceful and incompetent display of officiating. Look out for them on motd this evening!

Unbelievable
  • Options
    SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The amount of decisions the refs are missing for us of late is unbelievable. 2 pens should have been given today, and Barnes should have picked up 2 yellow cards for dangerous play. It's really getting annoying now, it feels like we are playing against the opposition and refs these days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SegaGamer wrote: »
    The amount of decisions the refs are missing for us of late is unbelievable. 2 pens should have been given today, and Barnes should have picked up 2 yellow cards for dangerous play. It's really getting annoying now, it feels like we are playing against the opposition and refs these days.

It honestly feels like the refs have an agenda to make the pl close to keep the interest high!

It's probably just that the officials are truly awful. How the ref missed the hand ball is beyond me