Richard lll : The King in the Carpark C4 Monday

Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
Forum Member
✭✭✭
"The story of the hunt for the remains of the medieval ruler"
Or so the write-up goes.

Usually the words, "the hunt for" appear in the title.

But maybe documentary makers are realising that some viewers are of the opinion that the words; "the hunt for" signify fifty-five minutes of anticipation, with the revelation in the last five minutes, that they "find nuffin,'" so don't bother to watch.

Comments

• lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "The story of the hunt for the remains of the medieval ruler"
    Or so the write-up goes.

Usually the words, "the hunt for" appear in the title.

But maybe documentary makers are realising that some viewers are of the opinion that the words; "the hunt for" signify fifty-five minutes of anticipation, with the revelation in the last five minutes, that they "find nuffin,'" so don't bother to watch.

I am not very optimistic about the programme from the trailers they have been running, might watch later from the PVR.
  • Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A big story in Leicester apparently.

The results of the DNA tests on the skeleton are due today, and this programme will coincide with them, so we'll find out whether or not it really is Richard III.

Really looking forward to this as I love history!
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like "Come Dig With Me".
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A big story in Leicester apparently.

The results of the DNA tests on the skeleton are due today, and this programme will coincide with them, so we'll find out whether or not it really is Richard III.

Really looking forward to this as I love history!

Not just in Leicester - the world, if you are interested in History.
  • suesuesuesuesuesue Posts: 15,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Said on the news that the press conference is at 10am today so may be able to find out if it's a "yes" or "no". Could save watching 95 mins of C4 dragged out "coming up" and "before the break" nonsense. Pity. C4 used to make excellent docs but now I often despair at the lazy, badly researched twaddle they show. Still, could be completely wrong and the show tonight might be a treasure :)
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    suesuesue wrote: »
    Said on the news that the press conference is at 10am today so may be able to find out if it's a "yes" or "no". Could save watching 95 mins of C4 dragged out "coming up" and "before the break" nonsense. Pity. C4 used to make excellent docs but now I often despair at the lazy, badly researched twaddle they show. Still, could be completely wrong and the show tonight might be a treasure :)

Everyone knows the DNA result is going to be 'Yes' even if a qualified 'Yes' or they would not get many viewers tonight.

They were describing it as the greatest archaeological discovery in years this morning which seems rather ridiculous. It's nice to identify him but hardly a major discovery.

The trailers for the programme suggest that it is going to make the recent Time Team series or even Pub Dig look intelligent.
  • BigBmadBigBmad Posts: 18,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Should be good
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Everyone knows the DNA result is going to be 'Yes' even if a qualified 'Yes' or they would not get many viewers tonight.

They were describing it as the greatest archaeological discovery in years this morning which seems rather ridiculous. It's nice to identify him but hardly a major discovery.

The trailers for the programme suggest that it is going to make the recent Time Team series or even Pub Dig look intelligent.

On the contrary, I'd say it's pretty major when a body of a King is identified that's been missing for over 500 years.

There have been discussions in Parliament over where he should be buried and that's pretty major too. It would have been nice to see him buried in York, as that's where his heart lay and where he was most admired.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they have decided, if it is him of course, that he will be buried in Leicester.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they have decided, if it is him of course, that he will be buried in Leicester.

Yes, I'm aware of that. What I'm saying is that it would have been nice to see him buried in York.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I'm aware of that. What I'm saying is that it would have been nice to see him buried in York.

Yes, I agree:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And BBC news are bored with to story already...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just have to hope someone puts the press conference up on youtube so we can see it in full... sigh.
  • kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just have to hope someone puts the press conference up on youtube so we can see it in full... sigh.

Go to BBC News on the website they are showing the press conference live.
  • planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    bbc news: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21319148

eta mitochondrial dna match!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's him!
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would have been spectacularly bad timing to schedule a program called The King in the Carpark just hours after an official announcemnet of "No, it's not him". :D

Nice, an announcement of the Channel 4 program "which is being aired tonight". Great endorsement deal there. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    It would have been spectacularly bad timing to schedule a program called The King in the Carpark just hours after an official announcemnet of "No, it's not him". :D

It's still a very exciting moment in history.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh I know you can make an excellent show that has no "concrete" results at the end of it, I've watched Time Team for years. :D

But I think it did rather pre-empt the announcement.
    Forum Member
    It's still a very exciting moment in history.

Agreed, although i think it's a shame he is to be buried in Leicester Cathedral rather than in the north.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    planets wrote: »
    Agreed, although i think it's a shame he is to be buried in Leicester Cathedral rather than in the north.

I do too, but according to the experts at the press conference it's in accordance with best archaelogical practice for a discovered body to be buried in the nearest sacred ground.
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not just in Leicester - the world, if you are interested in History.

Quite.
    On the contrary, I'd say it's pretty major when a body of a King is identified that's been missing for over 500 years.

There have been discussions in Parliament over where he should be buried and that's pretty major too. It would have been nice to see him buried in York, as that's where his heart lay and where he was most admired.

Sadly rules surrounding exhumations mean he's going to be reintered in Leicester Cathedral but I totally agree with you, he should be laid to rest in York Minster, it was his "capital" city, it's where he ruled from when Prince and Yorkshire is where he grew up.
    Forum Member
    I do too, but according to the experts at the press conference it's in accordance with best archaelogical practice for a discovered body to be buried in the nearest sacred ground.

oh yes i was watching that live too, i'm just being sentimental :o
  • MissCultureMissCulture Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would be very interested to know about the funeral service because he pre-dated the Reformation soooo....will it be an RC or a CofE service?