Richard lll : The King in the Carpark C4 Monday

Comments

• Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    I wonder if anyone has set up a society to improve King John's image (and Herod?)

If he was found in a local authority car park, no doubt there'll be a highly paid PR spin doctor who'll put out a statement assuring the public that 'elf 'n' safety is is rigorously followed by all their employees and absolving the council of any responsibility for his death.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Presumably the head and body would be found separated after Edmund Blackadder decapitated him for nicking his horse.
  • planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    it's interesting that NO ONE ever mentions that the source that shakespeare used who said he had a hump withered arm etc also said he was two years in his mother's womb and was born with a full set of teeth and covered in hair, which hardly makes him reliable ....
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to watching this. Should be interesting.
  • hooterhooter Posts: 30,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    planets wrote: »
    it's interesting that NO ONE ever mentions that the source that shakespeare used who said he had a hump withered arm etc also said he was two years in his mother's womb and was born with a full set of teeth and covered in hair, which hardly makes him reliable ....

:eek:More info please
  • Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The early revelation means that many like me won't bother to watch it. If you've seen one car park and one pile o' bones, then you've seen 'em all. There'll be as much interest for me, as most episodes of Time Team.

What's the point in starting a thread on it if you aren't gong to watch? :D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the point in starting a thread on it if you aren't gong to watch? :D:D:D

If you can't understand the original point I was making, then let's leave it there shall we?

If you actually read the whole thread there are some who are interested in the programme and have commented on it. Seems reasonable enough doesn't it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tiggywink wrote: »
    Oh boy, the choice is huge. I can recommend Sharon Penman's "The Sun in Splendour" - it is a historical novel based on the events surrounding Richard and Edward IV - absolutely engrossing.

The first book I ever read on the story was Elizabeth Jenkins' "The Princes in the Tower". She says Richard, in all probability, had a hand in his nephews' demise but that there was no other option open to him if he hoped to survive. It is a very good read.
    Thanks for the response:)
    I'm off to Amazon now to track those down!
  • Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you can't understand the original point I was making, then let's leave it there shall we?

If you actually read the whole thread there are some who are interested in the programme and have commented on it. Seems reasonable enough doesn't it?

I'm very interested actually and I will be watching.

You on the other hand don't seem to be bothered, so as you say we'll leave it at that shall we?
  • damianswifedamianswife Posts: 1,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Daughter of Time by Josephine Tay. Fab book, old fashioned detective tries to deduce who actually killed the Princes in the Tower. A good one to get stuck into.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's already been on the news that its him, so I shall watch Lewis and then the last 30 minutes of Channel 4.
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to it - always been interested in Richard III. His father (Richard, Duke of York) was killed over the road from where I was brought up. We used to find small fragments in the back garden, which we assumed were originally from Sandal Castle.
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    It's already been on the news that its him, so I shall watch Lewis and then the last 30 minutes of Channel 4.

I shall be watching the entire programme as i am interested in the archeology.

This comes at a time when channel 4 are dropping Time Team i hope they reaccess that decision now.

Its wonderful to see history bought to life that this.

Hope Lewis is as interesting.:)
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yvie123 wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to this tonight - they must be thrilled to bits with their find!
    I'm ashamed to say I know little about Richard III, other than what may now seem to be popularised myths about him - if anyone can recommend a good read or documentary on him, I'd be very grateful.

Sorry missed this earlier, there's loads and loads of books about Richard III from both sides of the argument. Probably the least controversial is David Baldwin's Richard III which presents both sides of the debate with equal fairness. He was a lecturer at the University of Leicester for quite a while as well :) Royal Blood by Bertram Field is also an excellent one to read.

Other ones which I have in my (somewhat extensive collection) include Annette Carson's Richard III: The Maligned King, Peter Hancock's Richard III and the Murder in the Tower (which looks at the execution of Sir William Hastings), Richard III by Paul Murray Kendall, Richard III by Michael Hicks and Anne Weir's written a couple of books (although she's a bit of a Tudor apologist imho) about both Richard and the Princes in the Tower and I found myself wanting to hurl her The Princes in the Tower out of the window after the first chapter.

Any one of these books on the Amazon best sellers list would be worth reading imho (ignore the duplicate entries for multiple formats!)
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not sure that you yourself understand the original point you were making. You do seem to take things very seriously for a discussion board.
  • planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    hooter wrote: »
    :eek:More info please

hi - john rous said that Richard's right shoulder was higher than the left and in his work Historia Regum Angliae he said that Richard was born with a full set of teeth shoulder length hair and was two years in the womb..
    Thomas More also said Richard had unequal shoulders but that it was the left higher than the right he also gave him a withered arm
    Edward Hall some 63 years after his death said richard was "of body greatly deformed"
    shakespeare added a limp and hunchback to the above
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure that you yourself understand the original point you were making. You do seem to take things very seriously for a discussion board.

Serious?

You must be joking!
    A couple of posts of mine from this thread you've obviously not read.

If it's a council car park I wonder if one of their wardens will try to levy a load of unpaid parking fines against his estate

If he was found in a local authority car park, no doubt there'll be a highly paid PR spin doctor who'll put out a statement assuring the public that 'elf 'n' safety is is rigorously followed by all their employees and absolving the council of any responsibility for his death.
  • stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I shall be watching the entire programme as i am interested in the archeology.

This comes at a time when channel 4 are dropping Time Team i hope they reaccess that decision now.

Its wonderful to see history bought to life that this.

Hope Lewis is as interesting.:)

Same here!

Also, although it has already been revealed that Richard III has been found, I am interested in how he was found and the methods used to identify the skeleton.
  • vixyvicvixyvic Posts: 13,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It'd be interesting to see what sort of funeral service is given, and I wonder what the headlines will be in the papers tonight and tomorrow. If I were writing the puns, it'd be "A hearse, a hearse! My kingdom for a hearse!"
    I like it. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cadiva wrote: »
    Sorry missed this earlier, there's loads and loads of books about Richard III from both sides of the argument. Probably the least controversial is David Baldwin's Richard III which presents both sides of the debate with equal fairness. He was a lecturer at the University of Leicester for quite a while as well :) Royal Blood by Bertram Field is also an excellent one to read.

Other ones which I have in my (somewhat extensive collection) include Annette Carson's Richard III: The Maligned King, Peter Hancock's Richard III and the Murder in the Tower (which looks at the execution of Sir William Hastings), Richard III by Paul Murray Kendall, Richard III by Michael Hicks and Anne Weir's written a couple of books (although she's a bit of a Tudor apologist imho) about both Richard and the Princes in the Tower and I found myself wanting to hurl her The Princes
    in the Tower out of the window after the first chapter.
    Any one of
    these books on the Amazon
    best sellers list would be worth reading imho (ignore the
    duplicate entries for multiple formats!)

Wow!! Thank you:)
    I'm going to enjoy immersing myself in this subject for a while.

damianswife - that sounds a good novel, too... Think I'm going to end up spending a fortune!
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the amount of promotion and hype, I worry that there are going to be a LOT of adverts in the programme!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    I wonder if anyone has set up a society to improve King John's image (and Herod?)
    My history teacher tried to make a good case for King John.
  • ExistentialistExistentialist Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone watching? The blonde architect comes across as a loony already.
  • stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone watching? The blonde architect comes across as a loony already.

She seems perfectly normal to me. Why should she not be enthusiastic about her subject?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am - I like Simon Farnaby :)