Options

M6 northbound Stoke area Friday morning

SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
Forum Member
Need to be in Manchester on Friday by around 10 am (coming from the Oxford area). Prev experience of the M6 round Stoke at peak times is that it grinds to a halt in numerous places due to the volume of traffic. Does anyone have real-world experience of that stretch of motorway these days, and is it viable to rely on getting through without a serious delay? Alternative is M1 / M62 which is further & full of 50 limits and the 62 is also a big bottleneck, but is less likely to come to a standstill.

Opinions welcome.

Comments

• Options
    TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    As someone familiar with the motorways in those areas I have one simple suggestion. Go by train! I think they are every half hour from Oxford but not cheap even with an advance booking. It might cost less to go in the evening before and stay in an IBIS or similar low cost hotel with a decent breakfast.

National Express bus could be a bargain the night before.

If you get up the motorway, you still have to make it into Manchester and park.

Sorry to be pessimistic. You may choose to drive and sail stright through!
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I generally don't find it too bad around Stoke, and tend to find more hold-ups as you get into Cheshire (and around Walsall/Birmingham, obviously). Also bear in mind that the M60 is down to a 50 limit from J10A to J13 at the moment.

I'd still stick with the M6 rather than M1/M62 - the M62 heading into Greater Manchester can be absolutely hellish at peak time.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Using the M6 is a bit of a coin toss. It can be flowing freely, or it can be a car park. Or anything in between. If you're going that way, I'd just work out how long it takes in clear traffic and leave an hour or so earlier, just to be on the safe side.

Don't believe anyone who tells you that if the M6 is busy, it's quicker to come off and go parallel to it using country roads. They get totally gridlocked at those times because every other bugger does it too.

I'd still trust the M6 more than the M62 though. M62 is always a living hell.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't believe anyone who tells you that if the M6 is busy, it's quicker to come off and go parallel to it using country roads. They get totally gridlocked at those times because every other bugger does it too.

Agreed. If i'm coming from the east/south-east and it's snarled up around the West Midlands, I tend to go to up the M1 and across the A50 to pick up the M6 at Stoke, rather than trying to skirt around it around Birmingham.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah. I know the M6 blocks up around Cov & Nuneaton then clears a bit. The M6 toll is ok to get past the worst of it around B'ham but goes straight into a 50 limit for a while, then around Keele services it starts to take on car-park mode until way past Stoke. That's the bit that concerns me. I'll chance it & leave plenty of time to do it, up the M6.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Let us know how you get on!! :)
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You might think about traveling the night before and staying in a hotel. Or starting really early (like 6am), although you might then be just in time to hit the traffic in and around Manchester!

The M6 is just too unpredictable. (And the M1/M62 sounds a very long detour with even more chance of accidents and delays.)
  • Options
    jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We were on it the week before last around 9am but going South and said thank goodness we were not going North, it really was horrendous, standing traffic for miles and miles.
    Really would find an alternative if it is important you are there on time.
  • Options
    howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    I'm going to Preston from Oxford on Friday leaving at 9, so,Probably getting to Brum by 10 will be up near Stoke at about 11...hoping traffic will have eased by then.
  • Options
    IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    Was I the only person who thought this thread was going to be about something completely different?
  • Options
    FinglongaFinglonga Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    M6 runs good around Stafford/Stoke/Crewe/Nantwich unless there is an accident and then you are stuck and it could be for a long time as they are long gaps between junctions.

I always use the A34 to go to Manchester as if something happens there are ways around.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Finglonga wrote: »
    M6 runs good around Stafford/Stoke/Crewe/Nantwich unless there is an accident and then you are stuck and it could be for a long time as they are long gaps between junctions.
    Thanks. That was exactly the info I was after.

Not sure what iqoniq was getting at tho... :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    M40/M42/M6 toll to A38 junction/up past Burton-on-trent on A38 (or onto A515)/to get onto A50 to Stoke/A500 up to M6 or even onto A34 before the M6.

For 10am to Manchester on a Friday from Oxford is pushing it all the way I'd say heading north.

It's a 3hour CLEAN run but you will hitting the M6 at peak rush hour around stoke/Sandbach/Northwich etc then just getting into Manchester either over Thelwell or past Tatton Park around the south.

Go up the night before and stay somewhere would be my suggestion especially if you *have* to be there at 10am.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finglonga wrote: »
    I always use the A34 to go to Manchester as if something happens there are ways around.

This can be a complete bottleneck when going through Stoke, Congleton, Wilmslow etc. No faster than the M6 in my experience.
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    SnrDev wrote: »
    Need to be in Manchester on Friday by around 10 am (coming from the Oxford area). Prev experience of the M6 round Stoke at peak times is that it grinds to a halt in numerous places due to the volume of traffic. Does anyone have real-world experience of that stretch of motorway these days, and is it viable to rely on getting through without a serious delay? Alternative is M1 / M62 which is further & full of 50 limits and the 62 is also a big bottleneck, but is less likely to come to a standstill.

Opinions welcome.

If you’re driving to Manchester from Oxford there is no way you can accurately time your journey to arrive at 10.00am to be honest.

If you must be there for a 10.00am deadline then you really should set off VERY early and be prepared to hang around in the city for a good few hours;..... at least you’ll be there.

It really is a lottery and being Friday just adds to the potential mayhem. You may have a smooth run but it’s by no means certain.

It just takes one small shunt on either M62/M60/M6/M56/M61 and the entire system suffers.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Things can around here in shite-on-trent a bit busier after midday as quite often people will knock off a bit earlier and also there can be a spike if its holiday time at the uni with everyone getting picked up or dropped off at staffs/keele uni

The worst part of stoke - the sign saying welcome to stoke
    The best part of stoke - the sign saying you're now leaving stoke
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bri160356 wrote: »
    If you’re driving to Manchester from Oxford there is no way you can accurately time your journey to arrive at 10.00am to be honest.

If you must be there for a 10.00am deadline then you really should set off VERY early and be prepared to hang around in the city for a good few hours;..... at least you’ll be there.

It really is a lottery and being Friday just adds to the potential mayhem. You may have a smooth run but it’s by no means certain.

It just takes one small shunt on either M62/M60/M6/M56/M61 and the entire system suffers.
    Got that thanks; aiming to be there by 10 allows plenty of leeway for the main event, and I intend to be on the way by 5:30 at the latest. It's not the end of the world being a bit late, and not worth paying for 4 x train tickets or a couple of hotel rooms.

Cheers. Will report back after.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many years ago, I used to get from SW London to Manchester via the M1 to the Chesterfield turnoff, and then turn west just as the main road reached the outskirts of the city.

This took me along some fast, but deserted roads through nice countryside, and I came into Manchester from the east.

I must admit that this must have been over 20 years ago.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »

Different world now...different world to what it was 10years ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well the OP should be on his way as I type. Hope he gets on ok! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Many years ago, I used to get from SW London to Manchester via the M1 to the Chesterfield turnoff, and then turn west just as the main road reached the outskirts of the city.

This took me along some fast, but deserted roads through nice countryside, and I came into Manchester from the east.

That'll have been the A623, which joins the A6 at Chaple-en-le-Frith.

I do quite enjoy the Pennine passes, and use the Woodhead Pass fairly regularly, as a nice change from motorway driving. They're busier than they were, and you can get held up at either end, but still good roads. Much nicer is decent weather though, it must be said!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Using the M6 is a bit of a coin toss. It can be flowing freely, or it can be a car park. Or anything in between.
    Indeed. If anyone's bothered, it was a breeze. OH drove up and opted for the route we normally use in non-peak runs so M1 - M62, except that the travel news told us the M1 was still closed further up (overrun roadworks) so cut across to the M6 at J16 via the A50. Traffic was pretty light all the way, including the M56. Arrived stress free with time for a relaxed coffee en route before showing up at HQ. Reverse journey was the same; easy, no traffic issues to speak of.

I'd expected problems as it was the first week back after the peak of the August holiday period into a bank holiday weekend.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Some people are born lucky!! Well done. :)
  • Options
    howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    Well, I went up and was on TheM6 at about 11...everything was flowing, but my goodness I thought the south near London was bad...around Manchester all three lanes chock a block..all flowing but traveling far far too close together....took me..3.5 hours..plus two stops total of 40 mins
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    howardl wrote: »
    Well, I went up and was on TheM6 at about 11...everything was flowing, but my goodness I thought the south near London was bad...around Manchester all three lanes chock a block..all flowing but traveling far far too close together....took me..3.5 hours..plus two stops total of 40 mins
    The junctions around Stafford are a nightmare.