Options

Robbie Williams - Rudebox (album)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    Have to disagree, the first three albums were all far superior - Escapology had it's moments but it's hard to listen to without pressing skip a good few times IMO

The new album's a good thing, but god knows why he chose that first single - thanks to that this will probably be his lowest selling album ever
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 396
    Forum Member
    He should get back to the stuff everyone loves........why try something new if your not good at it......i'm not trying to sound horrible but its clear that his 'old' stuff is far better than this stuff now.......
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    Well he'd need Guy Chambers on board to do that, but I suppose it's possible cos working with the likes of Pete BB will hardly give GC the worldwide success he had with Robbie
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    It's funny we seem to be coming back to the same old thing everytime as in Guy Chambers - Robbie threw that rattle out of the pram long ago. I have to say that it was great this time in the album reviews mentioned earlier that Guy Chambers was not mentioned.
    He may not sell as many albums this time but he is in a position after ten years in the business not to have to worry about that. Music is not always about selling albums , its also about the Artist being able to make the music they want to & not what the record label feel they have to .
    Guy Chambers has had little success with anyone else since parting with Robbie , they did work well together but that period is over now & will more than likely never happen again. Robbie is trying something new & I hope he enjoys it . Well done to him for taking the risk.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    Agreed, but the main reason he had to do something new was cos his fans had finally lost patience - he'd been found out. Even Robbie die-hards know that Escapology and Intensive Care were rubbish albums, and they weren't about to part with their hard earned for another duff one of the same ilk.

The best you can expect from any Robbie album is a handful of good tracks and a bunch of filler/mis-fired attempts. He'll never make a well-rounded album that's great from beginning to end

I think Escapology is incredible, it's one of my favourite albums of all time, love just about every track and I'm sure there's a lot of other fans who feel the same way. Everyone has different tastes.

Although Intensive Care was my least favourite album and it disappointed me to an extent, I thought it had a few wonderful songs and had some very beautiful elements to it, I appreciated the fact that it was a bit different and I think Rudebox is the perfect follow up (and probably his best album yet) because yet again it's just so different and to me has everything that IC was lacking.

One thing that I think's great about Robbie experimenting with all these different sounds now is the range of opinions that people are getting, even amongst fans. It's making things more interesting and exciting in a way.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm no Robbie fan but I think both Rudebox and Lovelight are both really infectious!
  • Options
    LoubeeLoubee Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know the whole Guy Chambers thing finished years ago - but every time I hear a new Robbie song these days, I can't help but pine for that partnership. IMO, all those songs were pure gold and I adore them (even though I am no real Robbie fan.)

I know maybe it's silly, but everything he's done since I despise. I know others love the new material, and that's good, but he's no longer Britain's Golden Music Boy like he was, and that's because his hectic new multi-sound albums reflect his up-and-down, emotional roller-coaster life. Listening to one of his albums now is like listening to the inner thoughts of a schizophrenic! I can't keep up with it at all and find it hard to warm to!

At the end of the day, Robbie fans are going to stick by him no matter what (As a Westlife fan, I can understand that totally) devoted Robbie fans know his sense of humour and 'get' his albums. I'm glad. But as someone who isn't particularly bothered by him either way, I do feel it's a shame he can't appeal to the wide audience he used to.

Still, I guess all that matters at the end of the day is sales, and all this controversy can only be helping that!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really like intensive care I thought it was one of his best albums. I'm really liking his new one as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,392
    Forum Member
    For me, "Viva Life On Mars", "Lovelight", "She's Madonna", "The Actor", "Louise", "We're The Petshop Boys", "Kiss Me" and "Summertime" are the best songs on it. They are sumblime; eight very, very strong tracks and as I was hoping the rest of it would be in a similar vein, in terms of quality that is.

Unfortunately not. The rest is pretty bad; not necessarily the music itself, just the lyrics and Robbie's laughable attempts at "rapping".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    Out in your shops tomorrow - don't forget to go pick up a copy (or two)! :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Got mine last Friday - It's Robbie's best Album to date - best tracks - The Actor, 80's , 90's , Lovelight & many more. Loving it.
  • Options
    lymlym Posts: 2,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Robbie Williams and have bought all his previous albums but this one is total crap, I definately won't be buying it.
  • Options
    smeg_headsmeg_head Posts: 575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I adore Intensive Care, possibly my favourite of Robbie's Albums. Have listned to Rudebox a few times now. The initial listen set off alarm bells and it took me a while to return. Lovelight is grogeous - by far the stand out track. She's Madonna is excellent and the rest are starting to grow.

Yes it's very different but it must be great for him to be able to experiment. Few artists have the luxery to publish and album that could flop without caring.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    lym wrote:
    I love Robbie Williams and have bought all his previous albums but this one is total crap, I definately won't be buying it.

Have you listened to all the tracks before hand then? Just wandered why you would think its crap, if you havent bought it? :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just thought i'd come back on and say that i loved the album to begin with and it just get sbetter. Faves are 'king of the bongo' ,'the 90s','she's madonna', 'burslem normals' and 'we're the per shop boys.' excellent songs
  • Options
    lymlym Posts: 2,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sammie85 wrote:
    Have you listened to all the tracks before hand then? Just wandered why you would think its crap, if you havent bought it? :confused:

Yes I have listened to the tracks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've listened to this a few times now and it just keeps getting better and better...:)
  • Options
    maximilianmaximilian Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree. I've played this album over and over. I absolutely love it! :)

Think my new favs are the 80s and the 90s. Followed closely by the Actor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rudebox has climbed significantly in the Itunes charts this evening & is number 1 in several countries. Also number 1 at the moment at the moment in Amazon .co.uk / play.com / cdwow.co.uk & several other sites.
    Its where it deserves to be - great album - knocks your socks off.
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    It outsold it's nearest rivals by 20,000 on the first day, apparently. Hopefully it'll stay that way :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    I bought the album on Monday, when it was released, and although I am a Robbie Williams fan, I like to think I am fairly non biased on his music. I have loved some of his stuff, and not really liked others. Anyway, I think Rudebox the album is just fantastic. Yes it is very auto biographical like a lot of his tunes, but some of the lyrics are very witty and cleverly written and I find myself giggling away to some of them I can honestly say there is not one song on the album I don't like. I think it's great, sounds great, very infectious and good on him for trying something out of the ordinary and stepping out of his safe zone.

This album won't appeal to everyone, but people like myself that grew up in the 80s and 90s will love it. I particulary like She's Madonna, 80s, 90s, Summertime, We're the Pet Shop Boys, Lovelight, Never touch That Switch, need I go on.

I read somewhere that some songs on this album were written years ago, and some when he'd just left Take That so these tunes have obvioulsy been buzzing around his head for a while, so hopefully having put his thoughts into song will destroy some of his demons he had when he left TT.

I think it's great, one of his best albums yet and just proves what an innovative, talented, lyrical genius he is. No doubt I will get stick for that last remark from some, but that is my opinion.
  • Options
    PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I expected this to be the worst album ever to be released, and wasn't evne going to buy it despite owning everything he ever put out. Last night I took a chance and downloaded it - and I was SHOCKED by how good it is! There are some duds, and the second half of the album blends into one long track for me, but I absolutely LOVE it! It's a lot of fun, fresh and new, and well worth buying. Which is what I'll be doing tomorrow!

D-head has me in tears listening to it. Also love Rudebox, Bongo Bong, Good Doctor, Keep On, Lovelight, The Actor and a few others. Brilliance!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would just love to hear the missing lyrics from 'the 90s'. it's such a good song but suffers slightly from these missing bits
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    pharoah wrote:
    I would just love to hear the missing lyrics from 'the 90s'. it's such a good song but suffers slightly from these missing bits

Which bit are you missing lyrics from? The album has no lyrics cut out...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah what are the lyrics that he missed out, is all the song there? I doubt it is cause i don't find anything wrong with what he's written and he doesn't really mention Nigel at all so i'm guessing it has been taken out.

I am loving the album though, not the kinda music i would normall listen to but am liking it, very happy i think.