BT Infinity Insatalation

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
Forum Member
Hi All,

Whats invloved in a BT infinty insatlation, my concern is I have been told it needs to be plugged directly into the master socket.

At the moment my adsl runs of an extension. Would the engineer be able to convert the extension into a master socket? If not are there any other solutions?

Thanks

Comments

• VisionMan1VisionMan1 Posts: 2,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yugobob wrote: »
    Hi All,

Whats invloved in a BT infinty insatlation, my concern is I have been told it needs to be plugged directly into the master socket.

At the moment my adsl runs of an extension. Would the engineer be able to convert the extension into a master socket? If not are there any other solutions?

Thanks

Hi,

They will just run a telephone extension cable from the master socket to the hub. Mine? MS downstairs, hub upstairs. And it's a quite painless process actually. And I get the speeds they said I would.
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,017
    Forum Member
    Hi All,

Thanks

I think you need to connect the Modem to the Master Socket, if the PC and Phone socket are in different places then they will connect the Modem to the Master Socket and the Home Hub to the PC
    using a 30 Metre extension cable between the Modem and the Home Hub, if you ask nicely maybe they can change the extension to a Master Socket
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the replies:)

Another quick question - This extension cable could they lay it outside the house following the same route as my current telephone extension socket.

I ask because this way actually works out much closer (and looks tidier) the laying a cable up the stairs and around the skirting boards etc.
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,017
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the replies:)

Another quick question - This extension cable could they lay it outside the house following the same route as my current telephone extension socket.

I ask because this way actually works out much closer (and looks tidier) the laying a cable up the stairs and around the skirting boards etc.

Yes, they can run it outside if you wish, it will not go up the stairs
    Forum Member
    Thanks you been alot more help then BT themselves....
  • smcbeathsmcbeath Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just had mine installed, the guy was here for 25 mins. He said that my line was able to get 80Mb d/l and 20Mb up. Max for my line is 120Mb. Says that there will be a big push in 6 months time for upto 200Mb. He said something about my card?(may have mis heard) can handle 500Mb.

Just gone straight onto speedtest. Just did 3 attempts, basically the same each time, Aberdeen to london -

ping 10 ms
    down 74 Mb
    up 9 Mb

Happy days:D
  • AmberPandaAmberPanda Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    I had mine installed last May and I'm sorry but really don't know how all this techie stuff works.
    I have a bungalow so no stairs, the engineer came and changed the socket in the hall, seemed to go back and forth between there and behind desktop in bedroom, left me with a white box under hub, ensured my laptop was working ok and left.
    He was with me for about an hour and I have no cable trailing anywhere.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My white box is right beside the master socket/phoneline, a bit peeved off with needing a plug for phone, white box and homehub. Shame the white box and homehub are not one box.

Still cant get signed into my bt account with the bt address that was sent to me after my order? The account name comes up as not found?

The engineer didn't use the dvd that came with the home hub, is it worth sticking in?
    Forum Member
    smcbeath wrote: »
    My white box is right beside the master socket/phoneline, a bit peeved off with needing a plug for phone, white box and homehub. Shame the white box and homehub are not one box.

Still cant get signed into my bt account with the bt address that was sent to me after my order? The account name comes up as not found?

The engineer didn't use the dvd that came with the home hub, is it worth sticking in?

Yeah I don't really understand why you need two boxes, couldn't they just combine them?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VisionMan1 wrote: »
    Hi,

They will just run a telephone extension cable from the master socket to the hub. Mine? MS downstairs, hub upstairs. And it's a quite painless process actually. And I get the speeds they said I would.

They don't run a telephone extension, it is a data extension (data only).
    I think you need to connect the Modem to the Master Socket, if the PC and Phone socket are in different places then they will connect the Modem to the Master Socket and the Home Hub to the PC
    using a 30 Metre extension cable between the Modem and the Home Hub, if you ask nicely maybe they can change the extension to a Master Socket

It isn't about asking nicely, it is just about the rules of the job. The extension socket can be changed to a master socket if the cabling between the two is up to current standards. The current master socket would have to be crimped through so would stop working though.
  • Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I don't really understand why you need two boxes, couldn't they just combine them?
    They could, but you'd have to pay a pretty penny for the kit as it's not cheap at the moment! With time though, it will come down. Openreach are testing a self install option where the engineer just does the work at the cab and doesn't come to the house - it's up to you to plug the modem into the router. This may lead to problems such as low sync rates with people who have crap internal wiring though as there will be no engineer to sort this out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They could, but you'd have to pay a pretty penny for the kit as it's not cheap at the moment! With time though, it will come down. Openreach are testing a self install option where the engineer just does the work at the cab and doesn't come to the house - it's up to you to plug the modem into the router. This may lead to problems such as low sync rates with people who have crap internal wiring though as there will be no engineer to sort this out.

But in those cases someone will have to go out on a repair job.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smcbeath wrote: »
    Just had mine installed, the guy was here for 25 mins. He said that my line was able to get 80Mb d/l and 20Mb up. Max for my line is 120Mb. Says that there will be a big push in 6 months time for upto 200Mb. He said something about my card?(may have mis heard) can handle 500Mb.

Just gone straight onto speedtest. Just did 3 attempts, basically the same each time, Aberdeen to london -

ping 10 ms
    down 74 Mb
    up 9 Mb

Happy days:D

About 6 days after install my upload speed went up to 16Mb. Received my £50 Sainsbury card today as well, so that took 20 days, not bad.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My installation was begrudingly done by someone who was patently having a bad day.

When he arrived (I think he was a sub contractor) I told him straight away I'd need a wired connection to the PC upstairs (something I'd mentioned to the sales team on numerous occasions and they always reassured me the engineer would sort it).

He looked mortified at me and said 'I can't do it, they have sent the wrong team and should have sent a 2 man team'. He whined a bitched abit about how normally he would be setting off home by 3pm and that he'd had a terrible day.

I said I wasn't getting at him as I'd repeatedly asked the sales team only in order that if they wanted me to do some wiring myself then I'd do it in preparation of the engineers visit. Numpties.

The engineer did confirm that they are allowed to install up to 30m of wiring under the normal terms of the contract. But once again said a different team normally does those. I don't think he could be arsed tbh. Something to do with how they get paid for the jobs.

Fortunately, I had a long adsl extension lead so all he did in the end was 'test the line speed'. I'd already set up the Home Hub upstairs. Oh and he fitted a new faceplate but that took 1 minute and I was told all it does is remove the need for a separate filter.

I was worried about the extension as the run is about 10 m and isn't cat 5. Its a normal cheap telephone flat style cable but he assured me this wouldn't be a problem.

I've had a torrid time with BT since. The service itself seems fine but if you need any support you may as well bang your head against the wall. They only seem trained to answer the most basic of queries that you'd find glaringly obvious on the net.

Once you set beyond those parameters, you are flucked. I've spoke to various people who have all promised me call backs (I think they just BS you and then make a cup of tea and get on with their day).

Someone on these forums actually helped me with info. that one of their live chat advisors told me wasn't possible. I read the post while in live chat and pointed out it was possible as I'd just been given the answer by one of their other customers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So does anyone know how the Sainsbury gift cards actually work. I tried them instore today and they came up declined, 2x£25. Don't know if I need to activate them or not. I registered for a nectar card online, then tried to activate them but they came up invalid card numbers. I would have thought they would just work straight away.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ignore the above, looks like I just had to check the balance over the phone, to activate the cards. It would be great if it had said so on the card or with the letter.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    So, after years of crappy ADSL - fastest I've ever had was 4mb, I decided to give Infinity a go as it estimated speeds in my area to be 16mb.
    Engineer arrived the other day and said I'm surprised I can get it at all as I'm so far away from the cabinet. Anyways, he put everything in fine and ran a speed test on his tablet, 80mb! I said that can't be right as we're capped at about 30mb on Option 1, so he ran the test twice more and each time it came back at 15.5mb... He said he's never seen anything like that before.
    I'm happy anyway,. I know 15.5mb don't sound like much to most of you, but after years of less than 5mb I'm over the moon! I'm able to now watch Youtube videos in 1080p - the buffering bar flys up!!

I hope one day I do get the silly high speeds other people here have got though.
  • jackthomjackthom Posts: 6,621
    Forum Member
    madwlf wrote: »
    So, after years of crappy ADSL - fastest I've ever had was 4mb, I decided to give Infinity a go as it estimated speeds in my area to be 16mb.
    Engineer arrived the other day and said I'm surprised I can get it at all as I'm so far away from the cabinet. Anyways, he put everything in fine and ran a speed test on his tablet, 80mb! I said that can't be right as we're capped at about 30mb on Option 1, so he ran the test twice more and each time it came back at 15.5mb... He said he's never seen anything like that before.
    I'm happy anyway,. I know 15.5mb don't sound like much to most of you, but after years of less than 5mb I'm over the moon! I'm able to now watch Youtube videos in 1080p - the buffering bar flys up!!

I hope one day I do get the silly high speeds other people here have got though.

15.5Mb is not at all bad and must feel like a huge improvement.

I'm perfectly happy with my new Infinity 70Mb connection but TBH I could do most of the things I wanted with my old O2 account supplying 13Mb. At least until those times when the whole family decided to use it at the same time. :)
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member

the BT Home Hub is a combined ADSL2+ modem and wifi router.

it is not a VDSL2 modem. which is the technology used in BT infinity. happen the next home hub will be. but by then we might have fibre to premises. for now it operates like a cable router, with a separate modem.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    the BT Home Hub is a combined ADSL2+ modem and wifi router.

it is not a VDSL2 modem. which is the technology used in BT infinity. happen the next home hub will be. but by then we might have fibre to premises. for now it operates like a cable router, with a separate modem.

I'm not convinced the next hub will be. The white modem is from Openreach. It means they can use the same white box (which they can do line tests against), for every FTTC connection regardless of who the ISP is.

BT Retail have their Home Hub 3, TalkTalk have their own router, as do Sky and Plusnet but the one thing that stays the same is the white Openreach modem.
  • burnesideburneside Posts: 2,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm about the bite the bullet and upgrade to Infinity (currently have a derisory 1.5mb download), and am wondering if the telephone extension cable into my bedroom, where the router is situated, will have to ripped out and new cable laid? As I live in a small-ish flat I guess I could locate the new router by the master socket in the living room, and not lose too much speed if I use devices in other rooms.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    *MikeB* wrote: »
    I'm not convinced the next hub will be. The white modem is from Openreach. It means they can use the same white box (which they can do line tests against), for every FTTC connection regardless of who the ISP is.

BT Retail have their Home Hub 3, TalkTalk have their own router, as do Sky and Plusnet but the one thing that stays the same is the white Openreach modem.

i take the point. but ADSL2+ modems were novel when that first came out.
  • jackthomjackthom Posts: 6,621
    Forum Member
    burneside wrote: »
    I'm about the bite the bullet and upgrade to Infinity (currently have a derisory 1.5mb download), and am wondering if the telephone extension cable into my bedroom, where the router is situated, will have to ripped out and new cable laid? As I live in a small-ish flat I guess I could locate the new router by the master socket in the living room, and not lose too much speed if I use devices in other rooms.

The openreach guy who installed mine specially made up a long cable for me to connect from the new master socket in the hall to the room containing the router and a PC.

He would have installed it tacked to skirting boards etc if required but I preferred to wait and make a tidier job later, by running it under the floorboards.

The alternative, with the router in the hall, would've been either to run a network cable following the same path or rely on wireless which would still be a huge improvement on my old ADSL2 setup.

In either case the existing telephone extensions would have remained essentially unaltered.