Options

What makes a great song. Melody or Voice?

ItsNickItsNick Posts: 3,711
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Personally for me I've always thought that what makes a great song is the melody. Every band or singer that I've ever liked is because I like the tunes of the songs they sing. Not because they've written songs with great powerful or deep and meaningful lyrics or because the singer has a great voice.
I asked two of the people I worked with for their opinions and one agreed with me and the other said for him it's all about the lyrics.
I said to him haven't you ever heard a song with a great catchy tune without taking much notice of the lyrics and he said no because the song is based around the lyrics.
Someone could be singing a song with great powerful lyrics to a really boring "in one ear and out the other" tune.
Look at The Smiths. Everyone raves about them but in the 80's they had 16 singles in a 4 year period between '83 and '87 and only two were top 10 hits, both only reaching No.10 because melody wise their songs were not what you'd call catchy. They were a bit boring.
Yet you take a band like Abba who's songs were far more melodic. In the first four years of their career they had 12 singles (LESS than the Smiths) yet out of that 12 they had 10 top 10 hits, 7 of which got to number 1. I'm not saying that just because songs do well in the charts means they're great. What I'm saying is that songs with great melodies tend to be more successful than songs with great lyrics.

I was in town today and someone was playing a violin. He was playing Yellow Submarine which has got a melody that everyone knows which means that everyone could stand there and enjoy it or at least appreciate it simply because of the melody. If he was standing there playing a Smiths song I doubt he'd have half the people watching he did.
To me melody is far more attractive in a song than lyrics.
What do you guys think. Are you melody people or lyric/voice people. If you're a lyric person can you at least appreciate why melodic songs are on the whole more popular.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    Not because they've written songs with great powerful or deep and meaningful lyrics or because the singer has a great voice.

I couldn't agree more - melody for me too!

I don't hugely care about lyrics (which is probably why I listen to some foreign language music) although I have come to appreciate some of my favourite artists lyrics. I'm also getting a bit tired of judges on The X Factor going on about "really connecting to the song/lyrics" as if that suddenly makes said singer really credible and cool. I just want them to sing the song well, regardless of their vocal skill.

(Not that I'm bothered by singers being credible or cool btw - I love pop music! I just find the whole "connecting to the song" part on The X Factor a bit cringey. Just get on the stage, sing the song well and have a good time OK?)

I also don't believe that a singer has to have the greatest voice in the world for a song to be good either, in fact my favourite singer wouldn't especially described as having an amazing voice. I enjoy a lot of the melodies, arrangements and instrumentals of her songs (only a handful of which she has composed herself)

I find it odd that a lot of people bang on about lyrics and writing their own etc, when I can't imagine that lyrics are the first or sole reason for listening to a song. Obviously, I'm biased because I prefer melody.

It also bothers me when a lot of rent-a-rappers are featured on pop songs as I'd like to hear the instrumental instead of filling every gap in the song with a rapper.

So melody all the way!
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    A great song is when it all fits together perfectly. Melody, lyrics, vocals, musicianship etc. It might not always be the best melody, vocals etc but rather a perfect storm, when all components of the song are working together to create something in a way that raises the song to another level.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    A great song is when it all fits together perfectly. Melody, lyrics, vocals, musicianship etc. It might not always be the best melody, vocals etc but rather a perfect storm, when all components of the song are working together to create something in a way that raises the song to another level.

Well put. It's rare to get all of those but the best songs do have great melodies and lyrics.

'Bittersweet Symphony', 'The Times they are a-Changing', 'I Still haven't found what I'm looking for', 'Brown-Eyed Girl', 'Stairway to Heaven' etc, etc,....
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ItsNick wrote: »
    Look at The Smiths. Everyone raves about them but in the 80's they had 16 singles in a 4 year period between '83 and '87 and only two were top 10 hits, both only reaching No.10 because melody wise their songs were not what you'd call catchy. They were a bit boring.

Using The Smiths as an example of a band lacking in melodies is really dumb. They may not have been overt, but compared to the vast majority of comparable acts, they had melodies in spades.
  • Options
    afcbfanafcbfan Posts: 7,194
    Forum Member
    A great tune without lyrics is still a great tune.

But great lyrics without a tune is just poetry. And we all know how horrible that is: right, kids?
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    afcbfan wrote: »
    A great tune without lyrics is still a great tune.

But great lyrics without a tune is just poetry. And we all know how horrible that is: right, kids?

You might want to read some Joy Division, Bob Dylan, Lou Reed, Leonard Cohen, Paul Simon, Bruce Springsteen, Tracy Chapman, Townes Van Zandt, Mary Chapin Carpenter lyrics to hear the mistake you are making.
  • Options
    dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyrics that are just drivel put me off songs
  • Options
    squirtlesquirtle Posts: 567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *reads opening post and backs slowly out of thread*

(((The Smiths)))
  • Options
    MicknsivMicknsiv Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    Semierotic wrote: »
    Using The Smiths as an example of a band lacking in melodies is really dumb. They may not have been overt, but compared to the vast majority of comparable acts, they had melodies in spades.

^ this
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Melodies are a subjective thing, the smiths have been mentioned, but I hear melody in their songs. A lot of stuff I like has melody to me but would be tuneless to others. I think lyrics can draw me into a song with a strange melody rather than a tune with awful lyrics
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but this is where we come back to the fact that we all like different things, which is life's rich pageant (to quote a song)
  • Options
    LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find melodies too often ignored. I like to listen to instrumentals of songs I like so I can hear the melody beneath the vocal, because more often than not that is where the gem in the song lies. A recent example off the top of my head would be... Wrecking Ball.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lewnaticc wrote: »
    I find melodies too often ignored. I like to listen to instrumentals of songs I like so I can hear the melody beneath the vocal, because more often than not that is where the gem in the song lies. A recent example off the top of my head would be... Wrecking Ball.

That would be because the lyrics are cack too :D
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Lewnaticc wrote: »

Aww....and you were doing so well up till then too. :D
  • Options
    coun3spicecoun3spice Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it's the combination for me.
  • Options
    Rae_AmuryRae_Amury Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Electra wrote: »

Agreed.

Both are important.

I used to enjoy many songs only for their melodies, mostly because I couldn't understand the lyrics. Things have changed when I started to learn English. Now I'm unable to appreciate many of the songs I have enjoyed back then simply because of the cringe-worthy lyrics. And I started to like many artists who maybe don't write the catchiest melodies, but have a brilliant way with words. Melodies are not less important to me now, it's just that weak or cheesy lyrics can easily destroy the song for me.
  • Options
    ItsNickItsNick Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »
    It's not dumb.
    I used them as an example because a lot of people rave on about the Smiths about how great the lyrics were and about Morrissey's voice etc. Yet out of 16 singles they only had two top 10 hits in four years.
    I then mentioned Abba (who some people say are cheesy and look down their noses at them) who had far more success chart wise in the first four years of their career. They've got the 2nd biggest selling album ever in the UK (Gold). Now if The Smiths are so revered in the music world why didn't they sell more singles or albums with the public and why did Abba sell so many. The reason why is because the melodies. Take a song like "Chiquitita". Nobody gives a toss who or what Chiquitita is, they'll buy the record because it's got a good tune. Melody will always win over lyrics. It will always be what makes it remembered in years to come. When it comes down to it lyrics are not what sells records.
  • Options
    my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ItsNick wrote: »
    It's not dumb.
    I used them as an example because a lot of people rave on about the Smiths about how great the lyrics were and about Morrissey's voice etc. Yet out of 16 singles they only had two top 10 hits in four years.
    I then mentioned Abba (who some people say are cheesy and look down their noses at them) who had far more success chart wise in the first four years of their career. They've got the 2nd biggest selling album ever in the UK (Gold). Now if The Smiths are so revered in the music world why didn't they sell more singles or albums with the public and why did Abba sell so many. The reason why is because the melodies. Take a song like "Chiquitita". Nobody gives a toss who or what Chiquitita is, they'll buy the record because it's got a good tune. Melody will always win over lyrics. It will always be what makes it remembered in years to come. When it comes down to it lyrics are not what sells records.

The Smiths were mainly about an artistic vision...and not one that's likely to appeal across the board. You don't get bands who make that their priority anymore. Abba were an uncomplicated pop with a couple of great songwriters
    Number of top 10's means nowt.