Options

kindle or kindle 2011

ladyloulouladyloulou Posts: 7,932
Forum Member
Hi, i need some advice please, i am thinking of going over to the dark side and purchasing a kindle, i love the feel of a real book but my hubby nagging about how they get everywhere is doing my head in! I have looked at a kindle and then for nearly twice the price the 2011 with 3g, i am not sure wether i need the 3g or not! I will not be taking it abroad, or probably not even out of the house, i have a home wifi network which if i have read it correctly will download the books on the basic kindle. So my question is will 3g benefit me in any way? many thanks

Comments

• Options
    NasalhairNasalhair Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ladyloulou wrote: »
    Hi, i need some advice please, i am thinking of going over to the dark side and purchasing a kindle, i love the feel of a real book but my hubby nagging about how they get everywhere is doing my head in! I have looked at a kindle and then for nearly twice the price the 2011 with 3g, i am not sure wether i need the 3g or not! I will not be taking it abroad, or probably not even out of the house, i have a home wifi network which if i have read it correctly will download the books on the basic kindle. So my question is will 3g benefit me in any way? many thanks

Not really. I have the 3G model (with the keyboard on it) but I travel around a lot with work so I find it handy for buying books if I'm stuck in a hotel and bored, or even just surfing the net (albeit slowly and in black & white). If you're only really going to use it at home and have wifi there you wouldn't really benefit from paying the extra for the model with 3G.
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Nasalhair wrote: »
    Not really. I have the 3G model (with the keyboard on it) but I travel around a lot with work so I find it handy for buying books if I'm stuck in a hotel and bored, or even just surfing the net (albeit slowly and in black & white). If you're only really going to use it at home and have wifi there you wouldn't really benefit from paying the extra for the model with 3G.

Completely agree - if you don't think you will have a need for downloading when out and about and you don't need the keyboard you may as well save yourself a few quid. As you can store 100's or 1,000's of books on the Kindle there is probably not a huge need to download when out and about for most people.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I don't really use 3g as I have the Kindle app on my phone.
  • Options
    JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    The WiFi only one will be fine for you. I've the 3G model and have never used the 3G side of it and I travel quite a lot.

I usually have about 20 unread books on it at any given time so I'm unlikely to run out.

I know someone who has enough books on their Kindle to last about 25 years! :)
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    I know someone who has enough books on their Kindle to last about 25 years! :)

Do you know my wife? LOL :D
  • Options
    ladyloulouladyloulou Posts: 7,932
    Forum Member
    thanks for all your great advice! Will spend the money i save on downloading books :D:D:D
  • Options
    JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Do you know my wife? LOL :D

Might do! ;):D