Honesty. Does Karma exist?!!

AvinAGiraffeAvinAGiraffe Posts: 481
Forum Member
I went to the bank today as I wanted to pay in some cash. I was directed to use the new all-singing, all-dancing paying-in machines. For some reason I couldn't get the machine to register the coins I was trying to pay in (it was only about £1 in 1ps, 2ps and 5ps - just the change that was rattling round my purse).

I pressed the button for assistance and when the guy came over he had a look at the machine and then said "yeah, it won't work as you've put too much cash in". When I looked there was probably a good £60 worth of £1 coins and 50p coins in the coin return section. First thing out of my mouth was "ooh that's not mine!" The guy scooped it all out and took it away and went behind the scenes to try and get the machine working again while I waited with my piddly £1 in change. When he came back he'd obviously fixed it because a load more coins dropped down. Probably about £20 worth, with a few of my pennies and 5ps mixed with it. The guy told me he wasn't able to tell which was my money, so I just took out the 1ps and 5ps. He told me that they wouldn't be able to find out who'd left the money! Apparently, if unclaimed, it will sit in a holding account and would "probably" eventually go to charity.

Was I a fool for being honest?! I could really have done with that money and actually he would've been none the wiser I'd laid claim to it. Could never have done that though. Will my honesty bring about some good karma and land a hefty sum of cash into my lap?!!

What would you have done?

Comments

• Apple22over7Apple22over7 Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In that situation I'd have done exactly the same as you OP. £80 isn't worth lying about.

But to answer your thread title - I really don't like the idea of karma. I know it's nice to think that bad things will happen to bad people - but it also implies that when bad things happen to good people, they must have done something to deserve it.
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd have kept schtum. Free money is free money.
  • AvinAGiraffeAvinAGiraffe Posts: 481
    Forum Member
    but it also implies that when bad things happen to good people, they must have done something to deserve it.

That's a very good point. I hadn't thought of that.

It would be nice to believe that if you're a "good" person then good things will happen to you!
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Was I a fool for being honest?! I could really have done with that money and actually he would've been none the wiser I'd laid claim to it. Could never have done that though. Will my honesty bring about some good karma and land a hefty sum of cash into my lap?!!

What would you have done?

Yeah, probably best not to believe everything you see on fakebook, eh?
    Forum Member
    Yeah, probably best not to believe everything you see on fakebook, eh?

Believe me I'm not one of those people! I just feel like I always try and do the right thing and I'm starting to wonder if shady underhand little devils do better out of life.
  • Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    No, human beings have a tendency to try and impose patterns of cause and effect where they don't exist, probably because the reality of randomness is a bit terrifying really. It makes us feel like we have more control than we really do.

If you're nice to people they are more likely to be nice back but that's as far as karma goes tbh
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    I'd have kept schtum. Free money is free money.

Yep. This.

The way I always think about it is 'what would anybody else do if this was my money?'

Answer: they'd probably just take it.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dunno about karma but I'd probably have been honest.

Fiver in the street is a different matter though
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    I'd have deposited it in the Bank of Me.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Yep. This.

The way I always think about it is 'what would anybody else do if this was my money?'

Answer: they'd probably just take it.

Have to echo this as i'd feel the same and take the money. "Karma" wouldn't be an issue as there's no such thing IMO.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Karma does not exist.

If it did there would be an awful lot of dead functioning psychopaths in this world.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Karma isn't about reward and punishment. It's just living with the spiritual consequences of your actions, thinking and feeling. Living with your conscience, rather.

Karma as a reward-and-punishment system doesn't make sense, anyway. How do you calculate karma if you killed a person who's been strangling another person whom you were trying to save? Taking a life is 'bad karma', but saving a life is 'good karma' so how does that work in this case?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I definately wouldn't take it.

It'll be on cctv, they know the amount so they just need to hold it and wait for someone to come back in and say the money wasn't paid into their account.

If the people in the bank look at the record of deposits using the machine they'll know when the person used it and at what time so now they just need to look at the cctv and identify them.
    Forum Member
    To be honest I don't actually believe in Karma in the spiritual sense. I think that would imply that there's something or someone in control of everything (which I don't believe).

I suppose the thread should have really been more about doing the right thing. Is there any point? And I find myself wondering whether the only thing that stopped me claiming the money as my own was the fear of being found out. And that's not exactly selfless! Perhaps I'd be a happier, richer person if I just looked out for number one a bit more.
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good for you. Anyone who is dishonest must really love being robbed.

As for Karma I really hope it's true for many people I have come across.:D
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »

Some of the bastards I have known would be dead! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think that's the case at all, and 'being robbed' isn't the same as losing/forgetting money.

If I lost £40 in cash and never found it I'd blame nobody but myself for being so stupid.

I would expect whoever found it to most likely keep it, therefore I'd do the same.
    Forum Member
    I would expect whoever found it to most likely keep it.

While that's probably true I find it sad that we'd expect others to be dishonest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think that's the case at all, and 'being robbed' isn't the same as losing/forgetting money.

If I lost £40 in cash and never found it I'd blame nobody but myself for being so stupid.

I would expect whoever found it to most likely keep it, therefore I'd do the same.

That fact shouldn't stop anyone from being honest.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Karma's balls. You should try to be a good person (I say "try" because that's the best anyone can do and we're all assholes sometimes) because it's the right thing to do- otherwise it's just self-interest. Which is also fair enough if that's how you wanna roll, but it's not the same thing.

(BTW, I once found 70 quid on the floor and kept it, so I'm not trying to paint myself all saintly here).
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope, Karma is bollocks.
    The universe does not have a sense of justice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    I definitely would've taken that money. :kitty:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While that's probably true I find it sad that we'd expect others to be dishonest.
    That fact shouldn't stop anyone from being honest.

Try telling that to capitalism.

Our whole economy and way of living is driven by personal greed and wealth acquisition.

When legitimate businesses and politics are clearly run in very dishonest ways it shouldn't be a suprise.

Ask yourself what you think 'the system' would do with your cash if it found it. Would it make every effort to return it to you? Or would it be pocketed by the government/bank/company concerned?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try telling that to capitalism.

Our whole economy and way of living is driven by personal greed and wealth acquisition.

When legitimate businesses and politics are clearly run in very dishonest ways it shouldn't be a suprise.

Ask yourself what you think 'the system' would do with your cash if it found it. Would it make every effort to return it to you? Or would it be pocketed by the government/bank/company concerned?

Why would anyone else's dishonesty justify me being dishonest? There are a whole lot of crimes that others commit. I don't intend to follow suit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None of that will ever make me dishonest.

Then congratulations on your concrete integrity I guess.

I just think it means you will be more likely to be more 'disadvantaged' in life as others will take advantage and you wont.