Which was worse; Hodgson at Liverpool or Moyes at United?

djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,581
Forum Member
✭✭
The responses to my thread about Roy Hodgson being bitter about Liverpool have inspired another debate about who was worse out of Hodgson and Moyes

I think Moyes was worse at United as they suffered more of a fall from grace after winning the title the previous season. Hodgson inherited a team that was already decling in the last year of Benitez

Which was worse; Hodgson at Liverpool or Moyes at United? Post a Poll 86 votes

Hodgson at Liverpool
40% 35 votes
Moyes at United
59% 51 votes

Comments

• DandemDandem Posts: 13,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hodgson at Liverpool. When he left the club, Liverpool were sat in 12th place, a mere 4 points above the relegation zone.

The threat of relegation was very real for Liverpool under Hodgson, and the performances were only getting worse.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hodgson.

The fact that LvG has had a similar start to the season as Moyes shows the massive cracks papered over.
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Odd choices for poll given that in both cases (albeit one thus far) their successors, Dalgleish and Van Gaal performed as as bad or worse.
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Before Hodgson got the job everyone knew Liverpool were in trouble. When Moyes took over at United it appeared he was taking over a sound squad with a future. The shock for United fans must have been great, but the expectations of Liverpool fans were far too high. Hodgson took over at a time of great uncertainty over ownership and finance. There was a real threat of the club going into administration. That can't have helped things on the field.

I think Hodgson is a good manager, but he was lacking in recent experience at the top level. He made things worse by bringing in players he was familiar with but who weren't good enough. But he's a good man manager and a good tactician. Given time he would have turned things around.

In contrast Moyes at Everton appeared to be a good manager doing well on limited resources, so surely he should do even better with no such limits? But as it turned out his methods and ideas had been holding Everton back, and he was out of his depth at a top club. He also got rid of an experienced coaching staff who knew how Utd worked. Things would only have got worse had he stayed longer.

I'd say Moyes was worse at United than Hodgson was at Liverpool.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 167,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think both ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time. Both clubs had serious issues in terms of the squad which neither manager could fix overnight and both panicked when they realised how deep the fault lines ran. Tactically Roy Hodgson had not managed a big side for a while so had fallen into a small club mentality while David Moyes had experienced nothing else so, when things started to go wrong, fell back on what he knew.

I think Roy Hodgson should never have been appointed in the first place and the fans never readily accepted him. I believe David Moyes may have had a chance had he shadowed Sir Alex Ferguson for a season as Assistant Manager before taking over full time. He would have had at least experienced how a knowledgeable and talented manager handled an egotistical and successful squad and the players may have accepted him more readily. Now we'll never know.

I doubt either manager will get a big club post again (England in international terms are at around the same level as Stoke in the Premier League - no offence to Stoke). They'll just have to make the best with the hand they've been dealt with.
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I voted for Moyes. I think he is a decent manager, but not what they needed at the time (or indeed ever). LVG may have had similar results, but you just had to watch how the team played under Moyes to see that it was a different game altogether. Its rare to see a team that looks actually hopeless. I don't mean that in the typical "oh they are hopeless at this", but in the "they appear to have no hope or happiness in their playing, it looks dreadfully morose".

Never liked Hodgson, so I had low expectations going in, and nothing odd happened as it was to be expected. He never seems to know what he is doing, everything feels very messy and as if he really has no plan or idea of how he wants the team to play.

But I think Moyes had a bigger impact (although not entirely his fault mind), so that gets my vote.

I would rate Moyes as a much better manager though.
  • snukrsnukr Posts: 19,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moyes at United, from champions to missing out on European football alltogether was a massive fall. Liverpool supporters expectations weren't as great during Hodgson's time, we were dire but I don't think we would have been relegated as some have suggested.
    I also think Hodgson is a better manager than Moyes, despite his record at Liverpool, he's won trophies all over Europe and is well respected on the Continent, he also took Fulham to a Europa League final. He was poor in the League at Liverpool, but they were undefeated in 10 Europa League games under him, which shows his European knowledge, he is better at smaller clubs though.
    In contrast Moyes has won nothing and failed to get Preston promoted to the PL.
  • jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why are you obsessed with Hogson ?
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know. I suppose it depends on who picked up the biggest poisoned chalice. That would probably be Moyes. One of the biggest jobs in football, following one of the most successful managers in history, it would have been asking a lot of anyone.
    I'm not going to vote though, I don't know enough about what was going on behind the scenes, how much backing did they really have from the people who held the purse strings etc.
    I'll leave it to the supporters of both clubs to provide the answers. If you're looking to outsiders for a judgement, perhaps we should have someone in the know arguing the case for and against each manager ? :)
  • djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jimbo1962 wrote: »
    why are you obsessed with Hogson ?

I'm not. I posted one thread about him which inspired another thread
  • JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got to be Moyes.
    He took United from Champions to nowhere.

Hodgson took Liverpool from nowhere to a bit worse than nowhere.
    Anyone would think he took over some great squad of players. He didn't.
  • Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jokanovic wrote: »
    Got to be Moyes.
    He took United from Champions to nowhere.

Hodgson took Liverpool from nowhere to a bit worse than nowhere.
    Anyone would think he took over some great squad of players. He didn't.

Agreed.

One thing I will say is that Hodgson signed a lot more crap than Moyes did. Moyes' problem was that he didn't sign anyone, other than overpaying for Fellaini then buying Mata, who whilst being an excellent player, was signed in a position where we were already well stocked.
  • Draca_NoirDraca_Noir Posts: 1,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    Agreed.

One thing I will say is that Hodgson signed a lot more crap than Moyes did. Moyes' problem was that he didn't sign anyone, other than overpaying for Fellaini then buying Mata, who whilst being an excellent player, was signed in a position where we were already well stocked.

Moyes' away record was decent, I think he only lost at Liverpool, City, Everton and Chelsea (United fans can correct me if I'm wrong). Played pretty well against Arsenal away as well and could easily have got 3 points.

As for Hodgson, his football was the worst I've ever seen at Anfield, our away performances were shocking and the interviews were just as cringey as Moyes.'
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What happens if man utd don't get into Europe this year? Does that make LVG is worse than Moyes? Didn't LVG spend around 200 mil in transfer window so can't say he has an aging squad which is what Moyes had. What is his excuse gonna be?
  • Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt35 wrote: »
    What happens if man utd don't get into Europe this year? Does that make LVG is worse than Moyes? Didn't LVG spend around 200 mil in transfer window so can't say he has an aging squad which is what Moyes had. What is his excuse gonna be?

Integrating new players, rebuilding the confidence of those who were here last season, a crippling injury list.

How many more do you want?
  • DuckSeasonDuckSeason Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt35 wrote: »

In this international break alone, he's lost Carrick, De Gea and Blind to injury. Every single player who's played in defence for United has been injured or suspended at some point - usually the following week after they've played. That kind of horrible luck is just not normal.
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DuckSeason wrote: »
    In this international break alone, he's lost Carrick, De Gea and Blind to injury. Every single player who's played in defence for United has been injured or suspended at some point - usually the following week after they've played. That kind of horrible luck is just not normal.

It's absolutely shocking.

But Nani who has been suffering with injuries on and off has gone out on loan has hasn't missed a game.

We're cursed!
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DuckSeason wrote: »

It is pretty run of the mill stuff at Arsenal.
  • seelleeseellee Posts: 10,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hodgson is the worst manager out of the 2, that I do know.....
  • roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Both are decent managers, just not the right fit for the club that's all. There are no magic wands in football, success is usually based on a longterm plan with established quality before and during a manager's reign.

LvG and Rogers this season shows that quite well. Rogers in particular is still a very naive manager IMO.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Moyes do a great job at Sociedad - arguably, I'd expect him to do a better job than Rogers would.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    roger_50 wrote: »
    Both are decent managers, just not the right fit for the club that's all. There are no magic wands in football, success is usually based on a longterm plan with established quality before and during a manager's reign.

LvG and Rogers this season shows that quite well. Rogers in particular is still a very naive manager IMO.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Moyes do a great job at Sociedad - arguably, I'd expect him to do a better job than Rogers would.
    I very much doubt that, Moyes was the most overated manager ever, I couldn't believe it when United appointed him.
    It wouldn't surprise me if he flops at Sociadad.
  • roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    He received nowhere near the undeserved adulation Rogers has received. I was trying to say to people last season that Moyes hadn't become a bad manager overnight and Rogers wasn't the messianic genius he was being made out to be.

Things always settle down in the end when it comes to management I find. I'd have a sly bet on Moyes going on a steady upwards curve while Rogers stumbles over the next few years...
  • Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,626
    Forum Member
    Has to be Moyes at Man Utd, Moyes took over a team that where champions, more importantly financially stable so could spend big money, had a disastrous Summer transfer window, summed up by signing Fellaini way overpriced for £27.5 million, & one of the potential transfers ended up being a scam, finished 7th ending with opposition teams records without a win on the way, bizarre tactics like the 81 crosses against Fulham, ironically the 2 goals didn't come from crosses.

Meanwhile when Hodgson was appointed at Liverpool, Liverpool were a basket case financially due to the parasites running the club, however Hodgson didn't help the cause with poor signings of Poulson & Konchesky poor tactics, Hodgsons philosophy is to defend 0-0 & see what happens usually losing
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the main problems with Moyes is that as far as the press were concerned he avoided the onslaught of criticism for far longer than he deserved.

AVB was slaughtered by the very same headline writers despite him pretty much keeping Spurs where they've been for a while.

I was underwhelmed when Moyes was appointed at United but like most fans hoped that he could prove the doubters wrong.

I think he has too many buddies in the press to cover his arse tbh.

Moyes, Hodgson and to some extent Rogers are not big enough for clubs with the stature of Manchester United and Liverpool. That might sound arrogant but there you go.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    roger_50 wrote: »
    He received nowhere near the undeserved adulation Rogers has received. I was trying to say to people last season that Moyes hadn't become a bad manager overnight and Rogers wasn't the messianic genius he was being made out to be.

Things always settle down in the end when it comes to management I find. I'd have a sly bet on Moyes going on a steady upwards curve while Rogers stumbles over the next few years...

You can't become a bad manager if you weren't a good one in the first place. Anybody would think Moyes had achieved what he did with Tranmere not Everton, not exactly a small club and one which has which has big support, some of the praise he got was ludicrous, he was described as a "great manager". If he was great what does that make Howard Kendall? Martinez came into Everton and did a much better job than him while finishing above United at the same time.