How to find my car easily in crowded car park

Mitu_PappiMitu_Pappi Posts: 1,341
Forum Member
✭✭✭
i park everyday in a large car park with no numbered or alphabetical markings. It houses about a 1000 cars. As i park at different times of day and night it is always at a different spot or area if the park.

I am getting old and my memory and eye sight is not what it used to be. Therefore i always find myself searching for my car. Its a big problem as the remote opening of the car only lights up the hazard lights briefly and they are too low or hidden by other cars. No audible clicks. Besides its a grey astra so does not stand out.

What can i do to make car visible day and night. Are the antenna flags any good. Do they stay on the antenna any length of time. Any other solutions.

When i find myself in a car park at 2 am unable to find my car it is so horrendous.

Comments

• Jasper92Jasper92 Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mitu_Pappi wrote: »
    i park everyday in a large car park with no numbered or alphabetical markings. It houses about a 1000 cars. As i park at different times of day and night it is always at a different spot or area if the park.

I am getting old and my memory and eye sight is not what it used to be. Therefore i always find myself searching for my car. Its a big problem as the remote opening of the car only lights up the hazard lights briefly and they are too low or hidden by other cars. No audible clicks. Besides its a grey astra so does not stand out.

What can i do to make car visible day and night. Are the antenna flags any good. Do they stay on the antenna any length of time. Any other solutions.

When i find myself in a car park at 2 am unable to find my car it is so horrendous.

Hmmmm...
  • TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    Jasper92 wrote: »
    Hmmmm...

Yeah, I thought so too.
  • sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
  • MigsterMigster Posts: 4,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have a smart phone?

There are apps available for this exact purpose, My Car Locator is one of them.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nomadrobot.mycarlocatorfree&hl=en
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Tie a balloon to the exhaust when you get there and make sure it floats and bingo you are sorted

But seriously bad eyesight and memory probably means driving isn't for you any more
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Get a tall car

I can find my Discovery anywhere!
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get a tall car

I can find my Discovery anywhere!

Mine's a CMax and I can always spot the roof.
    Add to that I always stick it out about two feet more than the cars either side. :blush:
  • lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    New eyes?
  • Marie4evaMarie4eva Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lea_uk wrote: »
    New eyes?

Thats a bit rude...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    Mitu_Pappi wrote: »

BIB: Surely the car park is mostly empty around these times?
  • ScratchplateScratchplate Posts: 798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It looks like the OP can't even find his way back to this thread.
  • WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,305
    Forum Member
    sadmuppet wrote: »

Until everyone buys one!
  • WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,305
    Forum Member
    Mine's a CMax and I can always spot the roof.
    Add to that I always stick it out about two feet more than the cars either side. :blush:

I have a C Max too and although I am not very tall I can usually spot the roof. Well it's either that or the manner in which I sometimes park which is usually at an angle - so I just look for the skewwhiff car! :blush:

I've been driving for nearly 40 years....driving fine but parking - never quite got the hang of it :o
  • iDirtyPenguiniDirtyPenguin Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    I park in a Multi-storey Carpark myself, I always park on a certain floor at a certain point. If it's not available go a floor up?
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try one of these ? http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=car+aerial+toppers&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=25756143776&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10462009960179638217&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_5fdzrk8i0q_b

By the way, I sometimes have this problem coming out of a supermarket - acres of black cars and you walk to one only to find it's not yours LOL ! Please don't refer to yourself as old at 54 - I thought you must be in your seventies or more when I read your post :)
  • sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    WinterLily wrote: »
    Until everyone buys one!

That would be amusing - if the OP was the only one to have one when he left the car then 1000 of them appear before he comes back!
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks like the OP can't even find his way back to this thread.
    You posted too early, they shoukd have been back at 2am!
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    We once lost my car in the car park at Thorpe Park, spent half an hour looking for it. It didn't have remote locking so I couldn't even do that to see where it was.:blush:
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the Op could tie a bit of string to the door handle, then unwind it as he/she goes to the car park entrance. Tie the other end to the gate and all you ever need to do is go to the gate, follow the string and hey presto!

Or just give up driving until eyesight is improved enough to see your car! (I find it helps to be able to see other cars on the road - saves me killing myself)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    the Op could tie a bit of string to the door handle, then unwind it as he/she goes to the car park entrance. Tie the other end to the gate and all you ever need to do is go to the gate, follow the string and hey presto!

Or just give up driving until eyesight is improved enough to see your car! (I find it helps to be able to see other cars on the road - saves me killing myself)

it is not that they cannot see a car, it is that they cannot find a grey box among a load of other grey boxes.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given your situation I recommend one of these.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was on the courtesy bus going back to the airport car park once and a family couldn't remember where they had parked amongst several 1000s of car. The bus driver arranged for a parking attendant to assist by systematically driving them up and down each parking isle of each sector. Apparently it could take 2 hrs to cover the whole car park!
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could always go to Halfords and see if you get a roof rack, or better still a roof box, which might make your car stand out from the rest.

It might be less likely to get lost / stolen as well.
    Andrew-W wrote: »
    Do you have a smart phone?

There are apps available for this exact purpose, My Car Locator is one of them.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nomadrobot.mycarlocatorfree&hl=en

Fine, as long as you remember to set it. :blush:
  • davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    There is an app Find my car that you install on your phone and it helps you find where you parked your car. This is just one app that is available for this. There are more similar apps that do the same thing for different devices and operating systems. Use your favourite search engine to find the one you would like to use with your mobile device.