Madeleine:The Last Hope ? BBC1 25/4/12

Comments

• AbewestAbewest Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allie4 wrote: »
    So many parents in that resort left their kids at night - it's a tragic mistake but a genuinely mistaken belief that it was a 'safe' area.
    I have a friend who lives in Portugal and she says that the local police are well known as inept and incompetent and many kids go missing every year in that part of Portugal... only of course they don't publicise the fact. If that had been known, no way would the McCanns and their friends - along with other resort guests - have ever left their children alone.

So how many is "many"? 10? 20? 30? More?

And these "many" annual disappearances are occurring in one small part of Portugal where the police are allegedly renowned as being inept and incompetent, and it's all being hushed up?

Is that what you're saying?
  • penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    syl wrote: »
    Well THATS what happened !

When I go to Pizza Express and have a glass of wine with my meal I regard it as normal. Not 'going out on the piss.'
  • aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And now we're bringing in the Leveson enquiry? Is that the McCann's fault too? You guys are absolutely incredible.

:confused::confused:
    Whatever else the Leveson enquiry did, it lifted a lid on less than squeaky clean behaviour on the part of some sections of the force.

To continue to call other forces variations on corrupt and incompetent, it might be worth bearing in mind.
  • IdacyderIdacyder Posts: 852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have no problem with anything you say. The Portugese police did handle things badly but that is not necessarily a criticism, they were simply caught unawares. However, I am deeply critical of the guy in charge and of the writing of the book. The search and subsequent investigation were simply not good enough and if it had been me I would have been tearing my hair out to see such incompetence when my daughter was missing.

Yes I can understand how the parents must have felt if nothing appeared to be happening, it would be horrendous. I believe this could have been the GNR who are the local bobbies (well not actually even local) and who were first on the scene. It sounds as if it was chaos until the PJ arrived an hour later but by that time the flat had been contaminated. I don`t blame Amaral for writing the book - he had witnessed an injustice and also wanted to defend his name. I`m sure I would have done the same if I`d witnessed a cover-up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read the book and what baffles me is that anyone with an ounce of sense would even think that apartment 5a was safe to leave three small children
    It is irrelevant if the area is safe it still leaves kids on their own and at risk of fire , falling , seizing , choking , vomiting , crying , wanting their Mummy , night terrors , etc etc etc

Aside from that the apartment was vulnerable being on the street side , open to the public and seen from three sides . Once again I ask would Gerry Mc Cann have left hs credit cards on the table and deemed it safe ? I very much doubt it .
    It was not safe by any stretch of the imagination and a parent would see this immediately regardless of who thought it was .

As for the highlighted bit in your post , who please left their children alone in that resort .Do you have any proof of that aside from the group we know of .If you walk around P da Luz in the evening the restaurant are full of buggies with babies asleep or kids enjoying a meal out .

Now, I am absolutely with you on that. A tremendously bad judgement call and nothing can change that. But... it doesn't mean the McCann's are guilty of anything else. I have connections to similar complexes in this country and you would be amazed at how many parents have and continute to leave their children unattended. I suspect that is the reason for the hatred being poured out on here towards the McCanns. Others have done it but now take the moral high ground.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Idacyder wrote: »
    Yes I can understand how the parents must have felt if nothing appeared to be happening, it would be horrendous. I believe this could have been the GNR who are the local bobbies (well not actually even local) and who were first on the scene. It sounds as if it was chaos until the PJ arrived an hour later but by that time the flat had been contaminated. I don`t blame Amaral for writing the book - he had witnessed an injustice and also wanted to defend his name. I`m sure I would have done the same if I`d witnessed a cover-up.

I'm not sure I understand what the cover-up is?
  • sylsyl Posts: 1,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I go to Pizza Express and have a glass of wine with my meal I regard it as normal. Not 'going out on the piss.'

Yes, but many bottles were consumed whilst all the children were home alone, not merely a quick bite to eat, that is far from normal. Its neglect.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aggs wrote: »
    :confused::confused:
    Whatever else the Leveson enquiry did, it lifted a lid on less than squeaky clean behaviour on the part of some sections of the force.

To continue to call other forces variations on corrupt and incompetent, it might be worth bearing in mind.

sorry, not getting it at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    syl wrote: »
    Yes, but many bottles were consumed whilst all the children were home alone, not merely a quick bite to eat, that is far from normal. Its neglect.

Oh for goodness sake. Some members of the party may have consumed a lot - they were on holiday for goodness sake. That doesn't mean the McCanns were out on this piss. Oh well, I can add drunkenness now to the list of things the McCanns are accused of. Any evidence of gluttony?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Remember the paper media have always controlled public thinking.

Because of the internet they are losing their control over the more investigative section of the public who want to form their own truths, but I would say the paper media still maintain large control. Its what we all see when we go to the shops, garages etc. and of course TV news mostly parrots the paper media.

Panorama tried to present a balanced approach but it was obviously manipulated and edited to a large extent. It also told an outright lie about the dogs detecting DNA - such an idiotic statement as well.
  • Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now, I am absolutely with you on that. A tremendously bad judgement call and nothing can change that. But... it doesn't mean the McCann's are guilty of anything else. I have connections to similar complexes in this country and you would be amazed at how many parents have and continute to leave their children unattended. I suspect that is the reason for the hatred being poured out on here towards the McCanns. Others have done it but now take the moral high ground.

Believe you me , I have never ever left my children in that kind of situation . Never .Nor did I ever feel the need to actually . Our holidays were family ones and we loved having our kids with us .If we got hungry and they were in bed we had to opition to either starve , have a toast or one of us could go out and get something .

I take exception to the notion that anyone who dares to criticise the Mc Canns must somehow do it out of guilt . Rubbish I say ,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure I understand what the cover-up is?

Well I don`t intend to go into the many details here; they are available with a google search.
  • sofieellissofieellis Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Believe you me , I have never ever left my children in that kind of situation . Never .

Me neither, and I don't know anyone who has one it. I find it offensive that certain people, forum posters, celebrities, journalists etc continue to tar all parents with the McCann brush on this matter.
  • CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Believe you me , I have never ever left my children in that kind of situation . Never .

Which is why anyone who has kids breathes a sigh of relief when your kids reach an age when they are old enough to be left to their own devices but still as a parent you shadow their life, whatever their age.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cressida wrote: »
    Which is why anyone who has kids breathes a sigh of relief when your kids reach an age when they are old enough to be left to their own devices but still as a parent you shadow their life, whatever their age.

My son aged 32 has just text me to say he has arrived safely to where he had to drive this morning . :)
  • fifilapewfifilapew Posts: 4,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am really amazed, whenever anyone's says this, especially when tv personalities and journalists say it.

I really didn't think it was something anyone did, I am prepared to take your word that it's true but the vast majority of parents wouldn't do it a million years. This is the main part of the whole story that had people whispering and expressing doubts about them from the very beginning, the fact that we weren't allowed to publicly question their decision only added fuel to people's doubts.

As yet they still haven't admitted that what they did was wrong, only that they wished they had been there 'the moment she was taken'. Which is such a bizarre thing to say I can't quiite believe they said it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which is bizzare ! If they had been there the moment she was taken she wouldnt have been taken ,
  • johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sofieellis wrote: »
    Me neither, and I don't know anyone who has one it. I find it offensive that certain people, forum posters, celebrities, journalists etc continue to tar all parents with the McCann brush on this matter.

The McCanns annoyed me from the off with that stupid line about them thinking it was OK "...because lots of British parents do it...". Apart from that being unprovable nonsense, it also suggests that the McCanns were incapable of thinking for themselves and instead did it because 'other people did'. That's the sort of daft excuse you'd expect a 10 year old to come up with when his/her mum asks (as the doctor puts a plaster cast on the child's broken arm) "Why did you jump off that roof?" The response is usually "Because my mates were doing it!" To which mum replies sagely "So if your friends decided to stick their arms in a bonfire, would you?"

The McCanns have never once acknowledged that leaving their children unattended was wrong. Nor have they ever explained why a party of nine intelligent adults couldn't sort out babysitting arrangements amongst themselves, or simply use the resort's evening creche service.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which is bizzare ! If they had been there the moment she was taken she wouldnt have been taken ,

Exactly, it was probably gerrys way of spinning it to keep the blame firmly at the abductors door and absolving themselves of any responsibility. Just one of many bizarre gerryisms like when he referred to Madeleine's eye defect as 'a good marketing ploy' and when he started talking about first year anniversary plans a few weeks after she went missing.

Whoever is responsible for their public appearances wants sacking, I could quite easily do that job simply by putting a gag around Gerry Mccanns mouth.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fifilapew wrote: »
    I am really amazed, whenever anyone's says this, especially when tv personalities and journalists say it.

I really didn't think it was something anyone did, I am prepared to take your word that it's true but the vast majority of parents wouldn't do it a million years. This is the main part of the whole story that had people whispering and expressing doubts about them from the very beginning, the fact that we weren't allowed to publicly question their decision only added fuel to people's doubts.

As yet they still haven't admitted that what they did was wrong, only that they wished they had been there 'the moment she was taken'. Which is such a bizarre thing to say I can't quiite believe they said it.

Actually, they've said it numerous times but I think there focus is on Madeleine rather than selfishly continuing to beat themselves up - which is obviously what the public want. I cannot believe that even on this thread the majority of people doubt that they relive their decision every second of every day. I don't get your point about 'we' weren't allowed to publicly question them? Are you seriously suggesting some sort of kangaroo court? How much do you think these people can take.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johartuk wrote: »
    The McCanns annoyed me from the off with that stupid line about them thinking it was OK "...because lots of British parents do it...". Apart from that being unprovable nonsense, it also suggests that the McCanns were incapable of thinking for themselves and instead did it because 'other people did'. That's the sort of daft excuse you'd expect a 10 year old to come up with when his/her mum asks (as the doctor puts a plaster cast on the child's broken arm) "Why did you jump off that roof?" The response is usually "Because my mates were doing it!" To which mum replies sagely "So if your friends decided to stick their arms in a bonfire, would you?"

The McCanns have never once acknowledged that leaving their children unattended was wrong. Nor have they ever explained why a party of nine intelligent adults couldn't sort out babysitting arrangements amongst themselves, or simply use the resort's evening creche service.

They said that the crèche would have disrupted their sleeping schedules. As far as I know they have never discussed why they didn't ask for a babysitter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I don`t intend to go into the many details here; they are available with a google search.

So, the entire police forces of both countries, all the world's media and everybody involved are in engaged in a cover-up?! Gosh, this makes the Princess Diana conspiracy theories look like amateur night. There really is no argument to posts like this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Remember the paper media have always controlled public thinking.

Because of the internet they are losing their control over the more investigative section of the public who want to form their own truths, but I would say the paper media still maintain large control. Its what we all see when we go to the shops, garages etc. and of course TV news mostly parrots the paper media.

Panorama tried to present a balanced approach but it was obviously manipulated and edited to a large extent. It also told an outright lie about the dogs detecting DNA - such an idiotic statement as well.

Well, that's certainly news to me about the media. Those newspapers with declining circulations (which is all of them) will be delighted
  • The slaveThe slave Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Hello Digital Spies! This is my first ever post on here although I read the odd thread on here. Very good forum by the way.
    Ever since this sorry sage began I have been gripped by it. I believed the doctors for a while. I fell for it ! but it wasn't long before my own intelligence began to wonder what was going on. The shutters fiasco gave me my first tiny doubts. I felt ashamed to even have those doubts AT THE TIME.
    However, the doctors themselves slowly began to convince me beyond any doubt that their poor little girl was never coming back. I remember the absolute shock of hearing her father describe her 'Coluboma' ( don't even get me started on THAT can of worms!) as , and I quote, 'A good marketing ploy'.It might very well have been ,Gerald , but it meant you were taking 'the risk of her 'abductors ' doing something to her eye.' Something Gerald actually mentioned!!!! Now if he was my husband and he had come out with a statement like that I would have never forgiven him.
    The planning for 'the long term', the constant round of television studio sofas, the colour co-ordinated clothing of the fragrant Kate Healy, who managed to get her highlights done while her baby was out there, missing.
    The dismissal of Eddie and Keela, the political interference..... I could go on and on and on and on...much like Kate and Gerry.
    This Panorama was hideously embarrassing. We have a senoir Met police officer spending around 2 million to come out with 'she's either alive or dead'. We must be the laughing stock of Europe!!
    I'm ashamed of my country and it's policeforce. Corrupt from the top down. Murdoch bought and paid for this story at the beginning . In my humble opinion.
    If Madeleine was alive when she left that apartment I'll eat my shorts.
  • sofieellissofieellis Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually, they've said it numerous times but I think there focus is on Madeleine rather than selfishly continuing to beat themselves up - which is obviously what the public want. I cannot believe that even on this thread the majority of people doubt that they relive their decision every second of every day. I don't get your point about 'we' weren't allowed to publicly question them? Are you seriously suggesting some sort of kangaroo court? How much do you think these people can take.

Could you provide links for the BIB? I've only ever heard them say that they thought it was safe, and the strange quote about wishing they were there when she was taken.
This discussion has been closed.