Options

Star Wars

Comments

• Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    When I watched the Star Trek reboot I remember wondering what kind of Star Wars movie JJ Abrams might make if he got the chance to. I think he might just have been the right man for the job.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    that lightsaber was awesome!!!!!!!!!

You mean the tri-saber don't you? ;-) :D:D
  • Options
    Zidane82Zidane82 Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    dbob wrote: »
    All the negative comments are pretty stupid. This is the FIRST teaser trailer for a film that is over a YEAR away. What were people expecting? they are hardly going to show their full hand on what will be the first of many trailers. It did it's job perfectly. The remarks regarding the cgi are dumb as this movie has barely hit post production. It will be polished within in inch of its life. Whether you like the new Star Trek or not, there's no denying the fx were superb and this will be the same.

To be fair your first comment could be considered stupid. We are all entitled to share our opinions .
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad that it looks much more like a fun adventure film than the prequels ever did. It's also good to see Abrams bringing his own style to proceedings. The worst thing he could have done was to simply copy the look and feel of the past films. He's been given the job to direct The Force Awakens and you can tell from the get-go.

So, the Force really is about to 'awaken', for both Dark and Light... What this means, we shall have to find out! :D
  • Options
    drillbitdrillbit Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    love the new lightsaber, thats inspired

x wings over water ...........oooooohhh cool

feeling like a 10yr old all over again, can't wait
  • Options
    MidsblueMidsblue Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    The whole 88 seconds was brilliant. I'm 42 and it took me right back to being 9 again and a million miles from those damn prequels.

The way the X-Wings skimmed across the water followed by the Falcon arcing in the atmosphere back to the sand was Abrams all over as an actual a Star Wars fan who knows what us fellow fans want to see. Even a nod to the round dish, knocked off in the 2nd Death Star, replaced by a square one.

December 2015 cannot come quickly enough
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm glad that it looks much more like a fun adventure film than the prequels ever did. It's also good to see Abrams bringing his own style to proceedings. The worst thing he could have done was to simply copy the look and feel of the past films. He's been given the job to direct The Force Awakens and you can tell from the get-go.

So, the Force really is about to 'awaken', for both Dark and Light... What this means, we shall have to find out! :D

The style from an aesthetic point of view seems to be very much based closely on Ralph McQuarrie's concept artwork.
  • Options
    SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    I wonder if all the lightsaber blades are going to be re-imagined like the red one seen, with that kind of fuzzy energy?

I hope not because that Lightsaber looked awful. I hate these stupid gimmicky lightsabers, why can't we just have the normal looking ones ?
  • Options
    007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great trailer. Not a fan but was impressed.
  • Options
    PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked that. It was star wars. I particularly liked the fact it didn't look shiney new but like a war had been raging for a while and people and parts are worn. The CGI will probably get a bit of a makeover but everything there to me shouted Star Wars.

Oh, and I liked the light sabre.
  • Options
    MidsblueMidsblue Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    You can't tell much from a trailer but it in 88 seconds it had the feel of the original but with the CGI of today.

Abrams is a fan and I have no doubt he'd do it justice rather than trying to pander to everyone like Lucas did in the prequels by introducing one dimensional characters, clunky dialogue, dodgy actors and Jar Jar f***ing Binks!

Anthony Daniels tweeted that this would not on be on par with but likely to better Empire. For a scifi film, Kershner added so many layers to the main leads and Star Wars universe in that one film hence why it's head and shoulders above the rest.

Abrams will do similar as he did with Star Trek reboot..imagine what he would have done with the Anakin / Padme / Obi Wan last 30 minutes of Revenge of the Sith even with Hayden Christensen. Chris Pine is clunky but Abrams directed so much out of him as Kirk in Darkness when Kirk sacrificed himself.

Just hope he acknowledges the original generation and sticks to a 12 at least so adults choose to take their kids rather than lacking depth because Lucas wanted to pillage the kids for merchandise
  • Options
    PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So if the force is awakening, I wonder if the Sith is from old times, or atleast his technology is, perhaps that lightsaber is a earlier version and so is more raw and unstable in its look, or alternatively it could be a new more powerful one. Might just be how they are portraying the lightsabers in this movie but considering everything else is sticking close to how it looked its reasonable to assume there's a reason why the lightsaber looks different.

I like the next generation droid.
  • Options
    SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    I like seeing Falcon and Ties battling over land, we haven't had that before.

Love the x wings over water.

Most of all, snowy, night time forest with lightsabre! Lightsabre in real environments are brilliant and this is something like I wanted in the prequels. Lightsabre against animated Green screen just aren't as good.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SegaGamer wrote: »
    I hope not because that Lightsaber looked awful. I hate these stupid gimmicky lightsabers, why can't we just have the normal looking ones ?

Why do you think they would have same lightsabers as 30 years before ? Technology moves on in space too.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the voice over is Benedict. Sounds just like him if you recall his "Darkness is coming" stuff from the Star Trek trailers.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »

:confused: the 'radar dish' still missing ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    :confused: the 'radar dish' still missing ?

It's there, it's rectangular in shape, since the original's unfortunate detachment in Return of the Jedi. I thnk it's a neat homage.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    It's there, it's rectangular in shape, since the original's unfortunate detachment in Return of the Jedi. I thnk it's a neat homage.

well ok , just as long as R2 hasn't been turned into a beachball !
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The one carrying the lightsabre has to be Gwendoline Christie. Same height and body shape.

It would be so fun if she is indeed a sith lord.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the voice over is Benedict. Sounds just like him if you recall his "Darkness is coming" stuff from the Star Trek trailers.

Voiceover is Mr Andy Serkis.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    The one carrying the lightsabre has to be Gwendoline Christie. Same height and body shape.

It would be so fun if she is indeed a sith lord.
    Brienne of Darth?
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The George Lucas Special Edition

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v93Jh6JNBng
  • Options
    TribecTribec Posts: 9,331
    Forum Member
    I'm going to be picky with this, the trailer was fine, I can live with it. It was just nice to see the falcoln fly again.

However, the thing that got me, and the thing that will get me when I go and see the film. Not seeing or hearing the 20th Century fanfare and lights. To me they are as part and parcel of Star Wars as R2 and Threepio.