Options

Star Wars

Comments

• Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,987
    Forum Member
    It's all so exciting. Wish I worked in the movies...as a writer preferably.
  • Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tribec wrote: »
    Not seeing or hearing the 20th Century fanfare and lights. To me they are as part and parcel of Star Wars as R2 and Threepio.

This is very true. That fanfare along with the THX string is the final pre-amble to the opening crawl that makes your hairs stand on end!
  • Options
    thorrthorr Posts: 2,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone else spot the modified wings on the x-wing, the plan area is split when the s foils in attack position.
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,987
    Forum Member
    thorr wrote: »
    Did anyone else spot the modified wings on the x-wing, the plan area is split when the s foils in attack position.
    No I didn't but nice detail anyways.
  • Options
    SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pete137 wrote: »
    Why do you think they would have same lightsabers as 30 years before ? Technology moves on in space too.

Fair enough, but why make it look like that ? that cross guard thing is stupid, it would slice the users hand off.
  • Options
    JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    SegaGamer wrote: »
    Fair enough, but why make it look like that ? that cross guard thing is stupid, it would slice the users hand off.

Yeah, I don't like that design either. I don't mind different sabre designs, bit this one doesn't work for me. Having said that, I do like the Solomon Kane vibe you get from that Sith scene.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,332
    Forum Member
    Watching it again, I see the Tie-fighters are still rotten shots.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    With regard to the quality of the beam on the lightsaber, in that it doesn't have the same look as the other six movies, I think that has more to do with e fact this film is only in the early days of post production. I think that beam will be consistent with the previous films come next December.

In terms of technology, I wouldn't get hung up on it. Star Wars has never been about logic (fiery explosions/sound in space?!) if they were playing Star Wars more realistically in science and technology, the sequel trilogy should feature completely different tech to the OT, and especially the PT. The SW universe is so technologically advanced that further advancements in technology would be exponential.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JimothyD wrote: »
    With regard to the quality of the beam on the lightsaber, in that it doesn't have the same look as the other six movies, I think that has more to do with e fact this film is only in the early days of post production. I think that beam will be consistent with the previous films come next December.

In terms of technology, I wouldn't get hung up on it. Star Wars has never been about logic (fiery explosions/sound in space?!) if they were playing Star Wars more realistically in science and technology, the sequel trilogy should feature completely different tech to the OT, and especially the PT. The SW universe is so technologically advanced that further advancements in technology would be exponential.

There's only a 19 year gap between ROTS and ANH. The Empire's tech did seem more advanced, but most of the tech we see in the OT is from the likes of Tatooine or hidden rebel bases where resources were scarce and they didn't have acces to the latest technological advances. They had to make do with older stuff.
  • Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If I was flying a craft as undynamic as a TIE Fighter, I'd probably be too busy trying not to crash :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    RebelScum wrote: »
    There's only a 19 year gap between ROTS and ANH. The Empire's tech did seem more advanced, but most of the tech we see in the OT is from the likes of Tatooine or hidden rebel bases where resources were scarce and they didn't have acces to the latest technological advances. They had to make do with older stuff.

But as I alluded to, the GFFA is so much more technologically advanced than we are, so advancements in technology there would make major jumps, regularly. If you had a galaxy teaming with intelligent life and the ability to travel at light speed, the potential for technological and scientific research and development every day is absolutely massive.
  • Options
    Diamond statDiamond stat Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Light saber was ridiculous., as was the rolling ball droid.

I didn't think the new film would be any softer than the last 3, but this one seems suitable for audiences embryo up...
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But as I alluded to, the GFFA is so much more technologically advanced than we are, so advancements in technology there would make major jumps, regularly. If you had a galaxy teaming with intelligent life and the ability to travel at light speed, the potential for technological and scientific research and development every day is absolutely massive.

For all we know those advances did exist in other planets. But those planets weren't part of the story, and in all likelihood those planets were controlled by the empire. If rebels and poorer out of the way planets can't get their hands on new technology then they have to make do with what they can find. This isn't Star Trek, where exploration and science are prioritised and often lead to new technologies for all. In Star Wars we're talking about a 20 year dictatorship where those in power don't want anyone other than the empire to have the latest and most advanced technology.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    The George Lucas Special Edition

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v93Jh6JNBng

Just seen this - very funny :)
  • Options
    PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As will the Stormtroopers be no doubt, otherwise they would kill Han and co and we wouldn't have a movie. Still them not hitting anything is in the Star Wars spirit so all good :D
  • Options
    kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If anyone's ever played the game Star Wars Knights of the Republic, the lightsabers are pretty much the same and that was set 4000 years before episode 1
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,449
    Forum Member
    Washed out cinematography = Check

"Inception" sound = Check

Shaky camera = Check

Looks like every other movie released today
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    I wonder which character will get to say "I have a bad feeling about this" ?
  • Options
    Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PaperSkin wrote: »
    As will the Stormtroopers be no doubt, otherwise they would kill Han and co and we wouldn't have a movie. Still them not hitting anything is in the Star Wars spirit so all good :D

"Only Imperial Stromtroopers are so precise."

These days I wonder if this was sarcasm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The "villain" in the teaser certainly matches this leaked image from a few weeks ago. Same lightsabre, hood, ripped shawl etc

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--7WS0z0h1--/iolijb1ypevufxxh3j4h.jpg

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03121/villain_3121826c.jpg
  • Options
    TribecTribec Posts: 9,335
    Forum Member
    With regards to the lightsabers, I have somewhere the blueprints from the OT films, of each sabre and as previously stated they are very similar. I'm sure that you are aware that jedi's and sith build there own sabres, they don't come from a shop. So they'll stick with tradition rather than technology, which is why you'll find them all much the same. Yes, if they can improve upon what they've got they will do so, but in all essence they are the same as they were when they were invented at the start of the SW universe.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    That lightsaber will cause harm to the holder.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tribec wrote: »
    With regards to the lightsabers, I have somewhere the blueprints from the OT films, of each sabre and as previously stated they are very similar. I'm sure that you are aware that jedi's and sith build there own sabres, they don't come from a shop. So they'll stick with tradition rather than technology, which is why you'll find them all much the same. Yes, if they can improve upon what they've got they will do so, but in all essence they are the same as they were when they were invented at the start of the SW universe.

I don't really see what the fuss is all about. Nobody complains at the many variations of blaster pistols and rifles the characters carry in the Star Wars universe. Much like there are many varieties of sword, e.g. claymores, broadswords, katanas, rapiers, scimitars etc etc then why not a variation of energy-blade based weapons in the films?

This character's weapon is reminiscent of a claymore type longsword.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Exactly. Remember, kids, when SW tries to do scientific explanations we get midichlorians. I'll just stick with the "this is awesome because it is" paradigm.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It looks a lot more like the original trilogy than the Prequels did.

Everything looks more real than the CGI of the prequels too.