Options

home theatre question front/rear speakers?

hi there,

I have narrowed down my choices to the purchase the Panasonic SC-PT550EBK. I noticed on the panasonic website that the front speakers are stated as the tallboy speakers and the satellite speakers as the rear ones.

in the specification on the panasonic site they appear identical, would it make a difference if i swapped them around and had the tallboys at the back, would it make a difference?

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm assuming you don't want the rear speakers positioned up on the walls?

Doing this won't affect the running of the amp, the difference it will make is to the rear sound effects.

Rear speakers should ideally be positioned on the side walls around 2-3ft above ear level when seated to give the desired affect.

The front speakers (tallboys) will be designed so that the speakers are at the correct level when seated, so depending on where you intend to position the fronts, you could upset the whole balance.

You will still get the sense of surround sound, but it won't at it's best.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    thanks for your reply TommyW.

Whilst i would prefer not to mount the speakers on the wall (front or rear ideally), the main issue is floor space at the front of the room. There would be space but the tallboys would be more noticeable. At the back of the room i had hoped to put them either side of the seating area but i appreciate now they may not be at the desired height.

I suppose i can be flexible with the system and will look at changing the room layout slightly if i wish to fully utilise the cinema system.

thanks again.
  • Options
    kaskas Posts: 440
    Forum Member
    nw blake,
    I had a similar dilema with my Philips system, where I wanted the floorstanders as rears.
    The main problem I initially found was that the speaker cable lengths were shorter on the floorstanders (as they were meant to be for the front) and long cable lengths on the rears. What I ended up doing was dismantling the speakers and swapping them over (thus keeping the cable lengths correct) as all the speakers were the same just that two were attached to floor stands! You may end up doing something similar. It was not a major problem and only took about half hour. Hope this makes sense. It was well worth doing though.
    kas
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    cheers kas,

Am getting the system today or tomorrow, so will see what i can do. cheers for the advice.