Ear Piercing - How much?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 326
Forum Member
Just wondered how much places charge these days for Ear Piercing. I know a lot of places say its free if you buy the earrings and solution, but is it really? If you went into somewhere and said 'I have my own earrings and solution, I just want the piercings done', they wouldn't do that for nothing, surely.

I only ask as I am thinking of doing a course so I can offer this on a freelance basis with my Hairdressing/Barbering, so I just wanted to know average charges for this around the UK so I can obviously compete.

I only know of Claires and a few Tattoo places that do it in my area and have never come across any other freelancers. Claires does state around £20 when purchased with a starter kit (earrings and solution), I think when I had mine done it was about £5, but that was 20 years ago.

My current Insurance covers me for this already, but I may need a licence from the council, but I wont be doing it on my premises, it will be in peoples homes.

Any help with pricing will be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• x_malibubabex_malibubabe Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Edit: totally read your post wrong thought you were asking how much ear piercing was for you to get them done!!! :o Piercing guns tend to be cheaper than needles, but there's more risk with a gun. :) it's still only about £5-£10 for ear piercing with a gun, depends whether it's one or two earrings you're using. :) I'd say about £15-20 with a needle.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    Most place i've been to charge £25.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HoD charges £3 per ear
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, please reconsider...

I would never go to anyone other than a proffesional piercer who pierces with needles.

I dont agree with gun and if i had kids that wanted their ears piercing, id take them to a proper piercer who will do them properly, someone who knows about anatomy, sterlilisation, h&s - someone who has trained properly - not someone who wants to make a fast quid.

It costs about the same anyway and is much more hygenic and heals better when done with a needle.
    Ear piercing guns cannot be sterilised in an autoclave because they either melt or jam and can't be used again. Most gun operators don't even wipe them with a damp cloth. If you were to watch in the right lighting conditions you would see a microspray of blood and tissue spread as much as 2 feet. This microspray covers the piercers hands, the gun and any furniture in the vicinity. This means that pathogens can be easilly spread from one person to another.

http://www.bodz.info/piercing/guns.html
  • iceandlimeiceandlime Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    I agree with the poster above. Please go to a professional piercer and not a teenager who's been shown how to use a gun in a Claire's.
  • MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    our local hairdresser is about £4 for ear piercing..the local tattoo place is £9..they both use a gun
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had all my ear piercings done 25 years ago, all will guns, including my nose.

I doubt I would have had it done if it was needles!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    In claire's, it is "free" if you use their £5+ choice of studs.
    Personally i got mine done in hsamuel, which was £20. I liked it there, very "proper"./ A few of my friends went to places like Claire's accessories, and the 'guns' got stuck on their ears :eek: There not very good and it's much safer to pierce without the guns. Mine however, was pain and infection free :D
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BlackOpal wrote: »
    I had all my ear piercings done 25 years ago, all will guns, including my nose.

I doubt I would have had it done if it was needles!

Nose!? Ouchas! you are brave! I got my ears pierced with a gun when I was 16. I dont care what anyone said, its the worst pain out of everything i have ever pierced. It killed!!!! Never, ever again, needles all the way. the holes are cleaner and it doesnt hurt!!!
  • x_malibubabex_malibubabe Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had my nose pierced with a gun cos it was cheaper and less painful than a needle...now that's true, and I wish I had it done with a needle cos I've had nothing but trouble with it, the stud on the back restricts it and it should be free, hence why nose studs don't have a back on them :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    I had my nose pierced with a gun cos it was cheaper and less painful than a needle...now that's true, and I wish I had it done with a needle cos I've had nothing but trouble with it, the stud on the back restricts it and it should be free, hence why nose studs don't have a back on them :rolleyes:

That is a hilarious statement. The trauma caused by a gun is far more painful than that caused by a sterile and much sharper needle.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nose!? Ouchas! you are brave! I got my ears pierced with a gun when I was 16. I dont care what anyone said, its the worst pain out of everything i have ever pierced. It killed!!!! Never, ever again, needles all the way. the holes are cleaner and it doesnt hurt!!!

My ears hurt a bit more each time the holes went higher (80s fad with the string of studs up the ear!) but I can honestly say I didn't even realise he had done my nose til afterwards. Obviously he gunned me without a back for the stud!

edit - someone had the gun on the nose and there was a back? that's mad!!!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had mine done about 11 years ago (I was 6) and I can remember it costing about £13 with the solution and studs. But prices do vary depending on where you go.
  • EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iceandlime wrote: »
    That is a hilarious statement. The trauma caused by a gun is far more painful than that caused by a sterile and much sharper needle.

Can you get your ears done by needle? I want another hole put in mine and OUCH did a gun hurt.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Around here they cost around £6.50 per ear...more with a needle (obviously because needles are way better and guns are shit and should be banned :cool:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,683
    Forum Member
    I didn't even realise people had their ears pierced with a needle :eek: None of the places I've ever been to have done them with needles, they've always been guns and charge upto a tenner.

I do know that the local Claire's Accessories charges something like £25 but that's much more than what anywhere else around here does!

:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    *Em* wrote: »
    I didn't even realise people had their ears pierced with a needle :eek: None of the places I've ever been to have done them with needles, they've always been guns and charge upto a tenner.

I do know that the local Claire's Accessories charges something like £25 but that's much more than what anywhere else around here does!

:)

I remember in the supergirl film they did it themselves with a needle and ice, mind she was supergirl. ;)
    Forum Member
    Emmersonne wrote: »
    Can you get your ears done by needle? I want another hole put in mine and OUCH did a gun hurt.

Yeah, any reputable piercing studio would do them for you. Not saying it won't hurt at all, but it won't be half as bad as a gun :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't imagine how anyone could think that a gun would be better than a needle. Imagine the jewellery going at speed into your ear from the end of a gun and all the trauma it costs, especially if it goes through cartilage. A needle is more controlled and hygienic, and is usually wielded by a professional, unlike Claire's and the like.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I had mine done 20 years ago and it cost hardly anything.

Now you see ear piercing for over a fiver.

What a con!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First set local hair dressers with a gun 10 years ago (about a tenner I think mum paid) no pain, no problems.

Second set (now removed 3 years ago I got board of them) 7 years ago in Claire's with a gun loads or trouble!

I think it's more who and where rather that what - both mum and I had our belly buttons done at the same place by the same person (can't remember how he did it wasn't looking lol) her's fine mine took forever to heel so I think 'you' play a part in it as well
  • MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    love all the horror stories of piercings..one of my ear piercings by needle with potato at the back (anyone had that done) and by a local woman who did it at her home..the first one was gun when I was 3..second was needle and potato..the last 2 was by myself with needle (steeped in boiling water first) and ice..nose was done by gun and would have brought tears to a glass eye..eyebrow was the worst..no pain..numbing and needle but infection still there and was done last august