The US Ratings Thread (Part 1)

Comments

• Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    Networks will give shows a chance if they see their potential although Big Bang was renewed because it skewed quite young and the writer's strike meant that many shows got a second chance. The Crazy Ones is the first successful single camera shows on CBS so unless it drops even further, I think its safe.

I see potential in TCO as the episodes have gotten better every time. As long as it stays upwards of 7m, I'm sure it will be safe.
  • Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    Glee gave Fox their best demographic in over a year last night, apparently. A 75% increase on 5x02 as well. They'll be devasatated the series now goes on hiatus for a month - the episode went down really well in the main so they could have potentially built on that strong number but there's no chance now.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think glee only got those ratings because it was a tribute episode. It's likely the fans who watched the early seasons and then stopped watching only watched it to see Finn get a nice send off.

I am sure when it comes back after it's hiatus, it will be back to getting 4/5 million an episode. I don't think this means Glee's popularity has suddenly rebounded. It's become a show that no one really bats an eyelid anymore.
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    Salv* wrote: »
    CBS dominates the night as usual on a Thursday.

mmm The Big Bang Theory dominated it's slot you mean.:p . ABC easily slaughtered them in the demo from 9 to 11 and they were third in the 9pm slot. CBS doesn't do third! They were often number 1 in that slot last year with Person of Interest.
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    I see potential in TCO as the episodes have gotten better every time. As long as it stays upwards of 7m, I'm sure it will be safe.

It's the demo that counts, CBS axed We are men the other day on a 1.8 rating. 2.4 for TCO is incredibly poor given the stars and the huge promotion (bigger than Shield). It's also dragging down Two and a half men.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jake lyle wrote: »
    It's the demo that counts, CBS axed We are men the other day on a 1.8 rating. 2.4 for TCO is incredibly poor given the stars and the huge promotion (bigger than Shield). It's also dragging down Two and a half men.

I think what has dragged down that show is the fact the show doesn't even have Two and a half men in anymore. It's no longer a show that relative to it's title.
  • dizziedizzie Posts: 4,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The baseball break basically screws up almost all of Fox's fall line-up. They get great ratings for the sports broadcasts but, from November, their return to regular scheduling always struggles in comparison to the other networks who are hitting their strides just as they enter sweeps period, having bedded in audiences during October. I think I read that this is the last year Fox has the rights to the World Series games, so it's possible next season will be a different thing entirely.

Glee was always going to get that artificial bounce for the tribute episode - lots of casual viewers tuning in out of curiosity. Unfortunately, because the tone was so markedly different from regular Glee (and especially the Gaga and Katy Perry heavy episode that they'll be coming back with), I doubt any of that extra audience will stick with the show. However, Glee remains strong in the timeshift viewings, and in the social media measurements (I expect that, in particular, to be through the roof for this week).
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,057
    Forum Member
    The X Factor really is stinking out - surely Fox can't give it anymore chances after this season?

Michael J Fox's new show appears to have flopped - although it never had much of a chance surrounded by other flops.
  • tq21tq21 Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    very surprised considering its ratings that Dads has got an order for 6 more episodes
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The X Factor US is not returning until TUESDAY 29th October, which will be it's first live show.

After yesterday's figures, I'm not sure if the break will do it good. Especially considering it will be presumably opposite The Voice when it returns.
  • welshfoxywelshfoxy Posts: 6,985
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    The X Factor US is not returning until TUESDAY 29th October, which will be it's first live show.

After yesterday's figures, I'm not sure if the break will do it good. Especially considering it will be presumably opposite The Voice when it returns.

If it continues as is do you reckon it's goodbye to XFUSA, Fudd?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    welshfoxy wrote: »
    If it continues as is do you reckon it's goodbye to XFUSA, Fudd?

It's an interesting one. It depends on what The X Factor USA is costing FOX and whether they have anything else which costs the same/cheaper and gets the same kinds of figures. If Idol recovers in the spring they may double up the order for the fall I suppose.

If it stays around the 2.0 mark I wouldn't be surprised to see it retained but have it's budget cut to ensure it makes a profit. If it dips below 1.5 I think FOX will cut their losses and try out something else.
    Forum Member
    It's an interesting one. It depends on what The X Factor USA is costing FOX and whether they have anything else which costs the same/cheaper and gets the same kinds of figures. If Idol recovers in the spring they may double up the order for the fall I suppose.

If it stays around the 2.0 mark I wouldn't be surprised to see it retained but have it's budget cut to ensure it makes a profit. If it dips below 1.5 I think FOX will cut their losses and try out something else.

Has Idol done two runs a year in the past?

It's funny; I personally haven't seen anything that makes it look like a bigger budget than the UK version has been over the years. Well unless hiring the likes of Britney Spears.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has Idol done two runs a year in the past?

It's funny; I personally haven't seen anything that makes it look like a bigger budget than the UK version has been over the years. Well unless hiring the likes of Britney Spears.

The X Factor UK had been allowed to grow naturally through the years; it wasn't injected with controversy and twists in an attempt to get people watching from the off. I think The X Factor USA was expected to hit the ground running and became over-produced to it's detriment. They tried big names and big twists without thinking about the down side of alienating a fan base which hadn't had the time to build some loyalty towards the show.

Production has been dire, though. Considering the UK version must be on a fraction of the US' budget it holds up pretty well against it though the UK production is nowhere as good as it used to be.
    Forum Member
    The X Factor UK had been allowed to grow naturally through the years; it wasn't injected with controversy and twists in an attempt to get people watching from the off. I think The X Factor USA was expected to hit the ground running and became over-produced to it's detriment. They tried big names and big twists without thinking about the down side of alienating a fan base which hadn't had the time to build some loyalty towards the show.

Production has been dire, though. Considering the UK version must be on a fraction of the US' budget it holds up pretty well against it though the UK production is nowhere as good as it used to be.

Think your whole post hit the nail on the head.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Think your whole post hit the nail on the head.

Just to answer your question which I missed - series one of Idol ran in the summer of 2002 with series 2 being moved to the winter of 2003 due to it's success. It's been airing in the new year ever since; there's been no doubling up of series in a year.
    Forum Member
    Just to answer your question which I missed - series one of Idol ran in the summer of 2002 with series 2 being moved to the winter of 2003 due to it's success. It's been airing in the new year ever since; there's been no doubling up of series in a year.

Hmm not sure that even if at the height of its success they would have risked two seasons a year. I'm not with it in terms of the US scene at all really, but it does bewilder me how low XFUS rates compared to entertainment shows in the UK and yet still is considered just about passable :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm not sure that even if at the height of its success they would have risked two seasons a year. I'm not with it in terms of the US scene at all really, but it does bewilder me how low XFUS rates compared to entertainment shows in the UK and yet still is considered just about passable :p

The rise of cable has been far stronger in the US than of digital in the UK. The audience is much more fragmented so lower viewing figures are accepted as the norm.

EDIT: The 2.0 is the percentage of 18-34 year olds watching the show, not the overall viewing figure. The X Factor USA got 7.14m overall viewers on Wednesday and 6+ viewers on Thursday.
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    The rise of cable has been far stronger in the US than of digital in the UK. The audience is much more fragmented so lower viewing figures are accepted as the norm.

EDIT: The 2.0 is the percentage of 18-49 year olds watching the show, not the overall viewing figure. The X Factor USA got 7.14m overall viewers on Wednesday and 6+ viewers on Thursday.

As a comparison, X Factor in the UK scored a 17.1 in the 18-49 demo on Sunday 22 September. (It's 18-49 not 18-34. :))

America has four big broadcast networks, compared to our two big ones and three small ones, and as you say they've been into cable a lot longer than us.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adjusted up:

CBS:
    The Big Bang Theory- 17.64m (5.1)

FOX:
    The X Factor- 6.49m (2.0)
    Glee- 7.49m (2.9)

Adjusted down:

CW:
    The Vampire Diaries- 2.14m (1.0)
    The Originals- 1.22m (r) (0.5)

CBS:
    The Millers- 11.73m (3.0)

Bloody hell, BBT is a beast!!
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

EDIT: The 2.0 is the percentage of 18-34 year olds watching the show, not the overall viewing figure. The X Factor USA got 7.14m overall viewers on Wednesday and 6+ viewers on Thursday.

Overall viewing figures do not matter there though. 18-49 is king; advertisers and by extension the channels do not care what pensioners watch.
  • PandakooPandakoo Posts: 5,428
    Forum Member
    Adjusted up:

CBS:
    The Big Bang Theory- 17.64m (5.1)

FOX:
    The X Factor- 6.49m (2.0)
    Glee- 7.49m (2.9)

Adjusted down:

CW:
    The Vampire Diaries- 2.14m (1.0)
    The Originals- 1.22m (r) (0.5)

CBS:
    The Millers- 11.73m (3.0)

Bloody hell, BBT is a beast!!

I just really really don't see the big appeal to the BBT? Like at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tyyleer wrote: »

I have loved the show from the beginning and very happy with the quality this season!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    Tyyleer wrote: »

I've seen 5 seasons of BBT and tbh it is a good show, I think over the years it's just become more and more popular, especially here in the UK. However the comedic style is such that it's understandable that it doesn't appeal to everyone
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    The X Factor really is stinking out - surely Fox can't give it anymore chances after this season?

Michael J Fox's new show appears to have flopped - although it never had much of a chance surrounded by other flops.

Some are shocked by it, as Michael used to be the king of sitcoms back in the day.