Virtually forgotten American sitcoms of the 70s & 80s

Comments

• Options
    Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Semillion wrote: »
    The Odd Couple- pure class, brilliant show
    Agreed, but had a good start by coming from Neil Simon's fantastic play/film script... I saw Jack Klugman & Tony Randall perform the play in the West End sometime in the 90's, just great to see them doing it in person... Will be interesting to see how Matthew Perry's new version stacks up...
    mal2pool wrote: »
    Love American Style.
    LAS used to be on all the time when I was a kid, usually late at night from what I remember - I used to sit up and watch it with my Mum when I couldn't sleep, so I have happy memories of it, but saw an episode in the states on Nick At Nite a few years ago, and it really hadn't aged well... never mind!
  • Options
    MissySmithMissySmith Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    The Cosby Show!
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    MissySmith wrote: »
    The Cosby Show!

It is odd, given just how massive that show was, that it never gets repeated these days.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    who remembers Blossom :D

also saved by the bell...there was another one with Doug McClure in it, he was a robot i think and the lad from Dallas who was JR's son..out of this world :D
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Jeffersons seems forgotten over here. It ran for 11 seasons. It's a great show I got into a few months ago.
  • Options
    starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    I miss the 90's teen sitcoms like

USA High
    California Dreams
    Sweet Valley High
    Malibu CA

Malibu CA is on Youtube and so cheesy and funny, and cheaply made with the beach side scenes.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think Good Times was ever shown in the UK, but I bought the complete box, love it
  • Options
    jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    It is odd, given just how massive that show was, that it never gets repeated these days.

It wasn't massive over here! It was shown on Channel 4 to a relatively small audience.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    jo2015 wrote: »
    It wasn't massive over here! It was shown on Channel 4 to a relatively small audience.

Ah, but back when there were only 4 channels! I bet it got respectable audiences compared to today's multi channel world.
  • Options
    scott789sscott789s Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tales of the Golden Monkey
    Simon & Simon
    Manimal
  • Options
    Jim KowalskiJim Kowalski Posts: 4,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet few will remember this one (used to see it when home from school for lunch):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4-Io8xMHL4
  • Options
    grazza2agrazza2a Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Does anyone remember an American sitcom, shown on the BBC in the early 80s (could be late 70s but doubt it). The theme tune ended with the line "We'll be alright, Joey" - I think it was about a mum who was either divorced or widowed and left to bring up her young son alone. I remember it being on BBC One weekdays, just before the 6 O'Clock news. For the life of me, I can't remember the title...

Scrap that - I've just used the BBC Genome project and discovered that it was "Gloria" (I think already mentioned here).
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »

Didn't they make a huge mistake in calling the grand-kids Nelson and Winnie.......then Winnie Mandela got done for murder and all sorts........
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    "Down To Earth", a sitcom featuring the ghost of a 20s flapper (Carol Mansell) working as a maid to an 80s family. Routine sitcom fare.
    The teenage daughter in it ended up on one of those "Real Housewives" shows.
  • Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    I have fond memories of a US comedy series from the early 70's - Here We Go Again. It was about two divorced couples - the ex-husband of one marries the ex-wife of the other - when they try to get on with their new life - it turns out the other ex-husband lives just a block away. It was quite adult and fairly sophisticated (well it was to a 14 year old watching it). Larry Hagman was one of the husbands.

Other than that - my favourite was always Rhoda!
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    gerry d wrote: »
    A programme called Small Wonder about a girl who looks human but is really a robot.I seem to remember it being shown on STV (Scottish Television) in the late 80's maybe on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon.

But "Small Wonder" is remembered...as one of the worst sitcoms ever. :o
    Small Wonder is widely considered one of the worst low-budget sitcoms of all time, inexplicably stretched to 92 episodes and, equally curiously, imported to British television by ITV

http://web.archive.org/web/20050115191656/http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/articles/s/smallwonder_1299002876.shtml
    You fondly remember Small Wonder, but you are so very, very wrong. It’s unwatchable.

http://splitsider.com/2011/10/looking-back-at-the-terrible-syndicated-sitcoms-of-the-late-1980s/
  • Options
    SgtRockSgtRock Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Foley Square" - Legal-based sitcom 1985-86 .
    I believe it was shown on BBC2 on Sunday evenings - similar timeslot to Garry Shandling?

So much forgotten that it's taken me 10 minutes to find what went before "Square" in the title!
  • Options
    SgtRockSgtRock Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also, while The Mary Tyler Moore Show may not count as "forgotten", how about her ill-fated 80s sitcom "Mary"? Shown in a few (but not all) ITV regions, I think?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    SgtRock wrote: »
    Also, while The Mary Tyler Moore Show may not count as "forgotten", how about her ill-fated 80s sitcom "Mary"? Shown in a few (but not all) ITV regions, I think?

Yep, also starred Jon Astin, who was Gomez Addams and The Riddler (when Frank Gorshin wasn't playing him).

It was pretty good. I was sad when I learned how few episodes were made.
  • Options
    JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rather earlier than the vintage being discussed, but you can if you watch out for it on Forces TV see episodes of Sergeant Bilko - incidentally with some episodes written by Neil Simon who got a mention higher up the thread.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slightly later (92) but worth a mention because it never gets mentioned anywhere... Hangin' with Mr Cooper.
  • Options
    Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Threes Company starring the late John Ritter
    The Brady Bunch
    Full House
    Growing Pains
    The Facts Of Life
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved 'Laverne and Shirley' with Lenny and Squiggy (Michael McKeen and David Lander, IIRC)
    Cindy Williams was gorgeous !
  • Options
    Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved 'Laverne and Shirley' with Lenny and Squiggy (Michael McKeen and David Lander, IIRC)
    Cindy Williams was gorgeous !

Not watched Laverne and Shirley only time I saw them was when they were on Happy Days
  • Options
    Omniconsumer93Omniconsumer93 Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Newhart is pretty forgotten I think, but it's a great series.