warning: Be careful when getting rid of your old mobile phone.

imrightokimrightok Posts: 8,492
Forum Member
I'm a bit of a hoarder so I haven't gotten rid of any of my old phones.

http://www.wthr.com/story/21419450/cell-phone-warning-deleted-personal-information-often-left-behind

Comments

• dale0693dale0693 Posts: 1,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's dated 28th Feb 2013 (A year ago)

Does that include iPhones?! Because iPhones can be restored to factory settings when selling to somebody my iPhone 4 was used by another family member before they handed it down to me but it doesn't contain their info on there because it was restored to factory settings before I could use it
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A friend of mine gave me her partners at the time old phone for one of my kids to have as my kid had lost hers.

On it were photos of of personal photos.
    My friend works on the telly, so if that phone had got in to the wrong hands she would have been mortified.

I gave it back and told her what was on it.
    We just laughed :D
  • imrightokimrightok Posts: 8,492
    Forum Member
    dale0693 wrote: »

Does that include iPhones?! Because iPhones can be restored to factory settings when selling to somebody my iPhone 4 was used by another family member before they handed it down to me but it doesn't contain their info on there because it was restored to factory settings before I could use it

To tell the truth ,I didn't check the date on the link. Channel 4 tend to show what's coming on the news during the ad break of the proceeding programme and as I taped the programme I didn't get to see the news. So I looked on-line to get the story. But as this was last week , I assume the problem still exist, unless it just affects some phones.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I kind of suspected this, it's similar on a PC as well.
  • MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,974
    Forum Member
    dale0693 wrote: »

Although the article is a year old the issue is still valid. IPhones are included. The issue is that a factory reset itself is often insufficient to actually delete all personal data.