Options

Xena: Warrior Princess - Reboot

Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
Forum Member
✭✭✭
LINK

I was sure that one day we would see a Xena film franchise. But it's been many years since the show ended and nothing came of it. Well now the NBC network wants to revive/reboot it for TV. The producers of the original show, Rob Tapert and Sam Raimi, are involved in the possible reboot. They're calling it a "modern" reboot. I have no idea what they mean by "modern". Does it mean a darker, grittier version?

Comments

• Options
    LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably means it's set in high school.
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely loved xena. Can't see how it would work without Lucy lawless though.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it was around Season 4 with the stuff with Hope that was some of the best episodic television i think i've seen outside of stuff like The Wire and Breaking Bad.

I know that's high praise indeed but it was utterly gripping for me.

And then there's some stand-out classics like "one against an army" and "been there, done that".

I'd certainly like to see what they can come up with. Apparently Lawless has said that she's had an idea that could resurrect Xena so she could basically pass the torch on to someone else who would then continue the series.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The later seasons always got a hard time from fans. I think all six seasons were wonderful.

Anyway off topic

I am open to this. XENA is my third fav show of all time (behind buffy and x files) but i am bit unsure of a reboot. I would like a continuation of the previous series or I always felt another spin-off within the world of Xena was a missed opportunity. One about the amazon women would have been great. I don't like the idea of a brand new Xena with a different actress. Unless it is a new warrior with a new name but set within the world of Xena.

If it was to come back, it would all be serialized nonsense. The main charm of Xena and the majority of the fan fav episodes were it's standalones.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The later seasons always got a hard time from fans. I think all six seasons were wonderful.

Anyway off topic

I am open to this. XENA is my third fav show of all time (behind buffy and x files) but i am bit unsure of a reboot. I would like a continuation of the previous series or I always felt another spin-off within the world of Xena was a missed opportunity. One about the amazon women would have been great. I don't like the idea of a brand new Xena with a different actress. Unless it is a new warrior with a new name but set within the world of Xena.

If it was to come back, it would all be serialized nonsense. The main charm of Xena and the majority of the fan fav episodes were it's standalones.

I suppose if Lawless' idea for resurrecting Xena made sense, she could certainly recur as a guest star. I guess the danger of her returning to star in a rebooted show would mean that it could just be seen as a re-hash of the original.

But then even saying that, an older Xena in a world fifteen to twenty years later would actually be an interesting twist.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose if Lawless' idea for resurrecting Xena made sense, she could certainly recur as a guest star. I guess the danger of her returning to star in a rebooted show would mean that it could just be seen as a re-hash of the original.

But then even saying that, an older Xena in a world fifteen to twenty years later would actually be an interesting twist.

It would. Plus i want to see what Gabrielle is up to. Xena ended on a very bleak note and still divides an opinion till this day. We saw Gabrielle on a boat home rather depressed. I like to think she became the next warrior and found a young innocent girl whom she mentored. Or she may have returned to the amazons as she was an honorary member and still never completed her reign as the amazon queen, which she had given up a few times to be with Xena. Although i personally liked the finale. But it wasn't the finale they hoped as they had budget problems and tons of past characters couldn't return as they could not afford them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lucy Lawless confirms it's all wishful thinking.
  • Options
    KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    Lucy Lawless confirms it's all wishful thinking.

Yep. It's all just wishes and very few horses :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair, the talk of Xena coming back has been ongoing since the show ended. Lucy did an interview in 2013/2014 saying that the main problem in bringing the show back was trying to gain permission from the person who holds the rights.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2016/02/xena-reboot-producer-on-recasting-and-updating-the-costumes.html
    Found a recent interview about the reboot. The producer talks about his vision for the show.

Is it snobby of me that I am instantly put off? A serialized story so every episode follows on to the next. No thanks.
  • Options
    MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    I've never seen the original show but my answer would still be no to this idea!
  • Options
    Aslan52Aslan52 Posts: 2,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see vast potential for this going horribly wrong but very little potential for it to be a success.

The original series "worked" because it WAS cheesy and so it required the audience to grant it a lot of leeway and that, in turn, meant that the makers were free to take all sorts of liberties without getting criticised for it.

If you deliberately set out to make something "cheesy" then I think you're on very thin ice to begin with and if you try and go some other way by, perhaps, making it overtly comical, serious or attempting to endorse some particular ideology (one that begins with an "f") then you're only going to create more and more potential things that might annoy viewers.

Some shows, like Buffy and Xena, just hit that perfect "sweet spot" where they managed to be enjoyable, interesting AND thought-provoking without really beating the viewer over the head with anything and I think it'd probably be better to just re-run those series' rather than trying to reboot them.

Also, while I'm at it, I sometimes wish I could go to ComicCon, or some similar event, where there's a Xena panel and ask them whether they always knew the show was actually going to be the story of Gabrielle's "journey" right from the start or whether it just turned out that way later on.
    Cos that really WAS a pretty smart way to frame it all in the end.