free Espn

bright sparkbright spark Posts: 191
Forum Member
hi just heard from ray stubbs on the telly its free this week end .

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    this appears to be false advertising..

doesn't appear to be free to Freesat from Sky customers at all.. as this is the case.. I'll be sending a complaint to the ASA about it for misleading me and everyone else..

the fact that you've seen Ray Stubbs tell you, probably means you are already a subscriber.. :D

However, Sky call centre agent at the start of the season was very off-handed and wouldn't let me have it activated on my card - despite the fact I used to have Setanta..

it's a disgrace really..
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,412
    Forum Member
    dttuser wrote: »

doesn't appear to be free to Freesat from Sky customers at all.. as this is the case.. I'll be sending a complaint to the ASA about it for misleading me and everyone else..

the fact that you've seen Ray Stubbs tell you, probably means you are already a subscriber.. :D

However, Sky call centre agent at the start of the season was very off-handed and wouldn't let me have it activated on my card - despite the fact I used to have Setanta..

it's a disgrace really..

And the relevant link and guidance is here: http://www.asa.org.uk/Complaints-and-ASA-action/How-to-complain.aspx
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    Well, it says free on Sky, Virgin, BT Vision, Top Up TV, and Freeview... it doesn't state Freesat... why it's excluded I don't know, and I do think it's disgraceful that they've excluded it...

Source: http://tv.espn.co.uk/freeweekend/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 314
    Forum Member

it's a disgrace really..

I totally agree for people who have FSFS.
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know what it's like on Sky, but it's unwatchable on freeview anyway, due to a large black scrolling banner permanently at the top of the screen. :mad:
    Forum Member
    Complaint has been sent to the ASA and to ESPN..

..let's see what happens - I will keep you posted..

I'm glad others feel the same way as I do, thanks for the support.. ;)
  • warrior51warrior51 Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moan all you like, think you will find this "free weekend" is only available to the platforms that would normally provide this channel as a subscription based channel. Just had a quick look at the awful black bar on Freeview and if thats the picture quality that BT Vision and Top UpTV expect one to subscribe too, then never again will I moan when my Sky HD throws a wobbly or the subs I pay to watch the sport in HD.
    I suppose its a case ya pays ya money and ya take ya choice, or lack of choice if ya dont pay....
  • jam2000jam2000 Posts: 3,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Where have they said it was on Freesat?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    warrior51 wrote: »
    Moan all you like, think you will find this "free weekend" is only available to the platforms that would normally provide this channel as a subscription based channel. Just had a quick look at the awful black bar on Freeview and if thats the picture quality that BT Vision and Top UpTV expect one to subscribe too, then never again will I moan when my Sky HD throws a wobbly or the subs I pay to watch the sport in HD.
    I suppose its a case ya pays ya money and ya take ya choice, or lack of choice if ya dont pay....

BT vision takes their pic from TopUp tv - most channels are IMO poor on dtt.
  • daniel99daniel99 Posts: 12,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think the black bar on Freeview is disgusting why they need a banner that big covering half the screen who knows what they should have done is do ESPN like it is on Sky Bannerless.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,412
    Forum Member

it's a disgrace really..

What you should find, dttuser, is that the ASA will take a couple of weeks to see whether the complaint is a valid one and if there has been some serious misleading going on.

If they find it is a valid complaint, it might take another three months or so for a full adjudication in this case and even then they could still find in favour of ESPN. Having said that, they are one of the better watchdogs. It is, I'm afraid a case of wait (a long time) and see.
    Mickey_T wrote: »
    Don't know what it's like on Sky, but it's unwatchable on freeview anyway, due to a large black scrolling banner permanently at the top of the screen. :mad:
    daniel99 wrote: »
    i think the black bar on Freeview is disgusting why they need a banner that big covering half the screen who knows what they should have done is do ESPN like it is on Sky Bannerless.

I agree with both of you. When Sky did their free promotion on Freeview in autumn last year they kept the plugging until the advert breaks which is fine by me.

ESPN's banner promotion was intrusive, annoying, crude and tacky - it was as if they were begging us to subscribe. The only domestic match they had on this weekend was the SPL's St Mirren vs Motherwell while ITV1 have had some cracking FA Cup matches on including Stoke City vs Arsenal (3-1 to Stoke, btw).

I also thought the picture quality was worse on ESPN too so therefore the always-free ITV1 wins hands down this weekend.
  • wgmorgwgmorg Posts: 5,020
    Forum Member
    A more justifiable complaint against ESPN could have been made with regard...

https://espn.sky.com/default.aspx?type=freesat

... If ESPN have no intention of deploying on FSFS they should stop mining for peoples details.

The ESPN free weekend was for Sky customers ... there was no comments with respect to it's availability for FSFS customers.

• Tony RichardsTony Richards Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    It's a pure marketing event: watch the free broadcasts and then choose to pay for a subscription.
    What's the point of free ESPN for Freesat from Sky or Freesat when these viewers are clearly not in the market for pay TV?
    It's like trying to give away free pork sausages in a Kosher butchers!
    Forum Member
    It's a pure marketing event: watch the free broadcasts and then choose to pay for a subscription.
    What's the point of free ESPN for Freesat from Sky or Freesat when these viewers are clearly not in the market for pay TV?
    It's like trying to give away free pork sausages in a Kosher butchers!

How can 'Freesat from Sky' be not in the market for Pay TV?

I have a viewing card - which can be activated with Pay to watch channels!!!! I had Setanta from the outset until it went off-air.. with no complaints whatsoever from them.

The issue is that even though I've got a Sky Dish, a Sky Box, a Sky Remote and a Sky viewing card and I'm on Sky's database as they send me package / upgrade offers - Sky themselves don't consider me a Sky customer? so what the hell am I then?

What has happened here.. is that ESPN have been lazy and allowed Sky to handle all of the activation - but Sky have included the caveat of, we will only let them subscribe if they subscribe to Sky Sports aswell.. which is a blantant rip-off.. and also should be investigated by OFCOM. ESPN need to pull their finger out and set up their own call centre just like Setanta did and there wouldn't be an issue here..

It wouldn't surprise me to find if Sky haggled down the carriage cost on the satelite if ESPN did what they are currently doing..

It's completely unfair to Freesat from Sky customers to be discluded.. if the advert says free on Channel 417, then I expect it to be FREE ON CHANNEL 417.. :mad:
    Forum Member
    Well everyone, I thought I would post this response I've had today from the ASA:-

Dear <dttuser>

ESPN CLASSIC SPORT LTD

As you know, we’ve been looking into your complaint against the above advertisers.

We’ve now been in contact with the advertisers about this matter and they gave us their comments. They explained that whilst they considered that they were clear about how to receive the channel, they can understand that Freesat from Sky viewers might have interpreted the promotion differently and believed they were referring to Freesat from Sky as well as Sky Digital.

Given this, they have advised that if they repeat the promotion, they will either clarify this or, if Sky agrees and is able, will ensure that Sky enables Freesat from Sky viewers to access the channel. They further explain that the latter is the more likely as Sky have been developing the necessary mechanisms to enable them to make the channel available to Freesat from Sky customers as a standalone subscription (i.e. without the need to subscribe to any other Sky services) and it is expected that that will be activated shortly.

Given the above, we will now close our file on this matter, I do hope that this information is helpful to you.

I’d like to thank you for taking the trouble to raise your concerns with us.

Best regards,

.. so if you don't politey put a case forward - you don't get, so I may just have got Freesat from Sky viewers ESPN in the future without Sky Sports subscription.. I expect a few pints of guinness for my efforts folks! ;)

dttuser