ESPN coming to Freesat From Sky with No Sky Subscription!!!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 333
Forum Member
I thought I would post this response I've had from the ASA recently when I complained about the lack of ESPN to Freesat from Sky customers when they did their free weekend recently after advertising it as being on Sky 417 - which is a channel on all Freesat from Sky's EPGs (see another thread on this forum):-

Dear <dttuser>

ESPN CLASSIC SPORT LTD

As you know, we’ve been looking into your complaint against the above advertisers.

We’ve now been in contact with the advertisers about this matter and they gave us their comments. They explained that whilst they considered that they were clear about how to receive the channel, they can understand that Freesat from Sky viewers might have interpreted the promotion differently and believed they were referring to Freesat from Sky as well as Sky Digital.

Given this, they have advised that if they repeat the promotion, they will either clarify this or, if Sky agrees and is able, will ensure that Sky enables Freesat from Sky viewers to access the channel. They further explain that the latter is the more likely as Sky have been developing the necessary mechanisms to enable them to make the channel available to Freesat from Sky customers as a standalone subscription (i.e. without the need to subscribe to any other Sky services) and it is expected that that will be activated shortly.

Given the above, we will now close our file on this matter, I do hope that this information is helpful to you.

I’d like to thank you for taking the trouble to raise your concerns with us.

Best regards,

.. so if you don't politey put a case forward - you don't get, so I may just have got Freesat from Sky viewers ESPN in the future without Sky Sports subscription..

Send the guinness my way folks! ;)

dttuser..

Comments

• linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you not get ESPN with Freesat from Sky anyway?

Good to know it will be free next time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 290
    Forum Member
    Maybe you should rephrase the title of the topic as is implies your message has a lot more substance to it, but that email doesn't confirm that you will be able to get ESPN on FSFS any time soon.
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the Op just been optimistic and thinking Sky are saying 1+1 = 2,which they may or may not be ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    Master-K wrote: »
    Maybe you should rephrase the title of the topic as is implies your message has a lot more substance to it, but that email doesn't confirm that you will be able to get ESPN on FSFS any time soon.

Actually - I don't think there's any need to rephrase it as the second paragraph emphasises it's on its way..
    ..They further explain that the latter is the more likely as Sky have been developing the necessary mechanisms to enable them to make the channel available to Freesat from Sky customers as a standalone subscription (i.e. without the need to subscribe to any other Sky services) and it is expected that that will be activated shortly.

If that's from the horses mouth.. so it looks like it's a coming soon.. which is good news.

dttuser..
  • Red RobinRed Robin Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    What mechanisms need to be developed, surely its the same as Setanta had ?
  • wgmorgwgmorg Posts: 5,020
    Forum Member
    ESPN have always had the intention of being on FSFS...

https://espn.sky.com/default.aspx?type=freesat

... but WHEN... :confused:
    dttuser wrote: »
    so I may just have got Freesat from Sky viewers ESPN in the future without Sky Sports subscription.
  • wgmorgwgmorg Posts: 5,020
    Forum Member
    Setanta had a completely separate poor customer management system...

Sky need to develop billing and management procedures... BUT why is it taking so long ... :confused:

Probably Sky/ESPN can't agree on the price... which would need to be higher than Sky's charge for ESPN without Sky Sports ... or ESPN get a lower proportion of a FSFS ESPN subscribers subscription.
    Red Robin wrote: »
    What mechanisms need to be developed, surely its the same as Setanta had ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    I'm really looking forward to this. I have freesat-from-sky, and used to subscribe to Setanta. My life is too busy to watch much sport, so Sky Sports would be a waste of money, but Setanta was just right. With them getting the Guinness Premiership rights next season it's going to be fantastic.

Now if they could just bring back the Monday night Blue Square footie and the GAA Hurling, I'd be a happy man! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    What I don't understand is why the form doesn't need your viewing card details. Without that they have no chance of activating it.

The mechanism is liable to be different from Setanta, as Setant billed directly. ESPN don't seem to want to do that. You either pay Top-Up TV, Sky or Virgin.

Still, hope they fix it in time for the new season of the Guinness Premiership!
  • jam2000jam2000 Posts: 3,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So I wonder how this will be with regards to the ESPNHD channel?
    Surely this would be on Freesat as well?
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jimbobt wrote: »

i
    mbobt on digital spy has linked this FB page up to the sky forum on DS!
    why i dont kno, but he might be lonley !!! hahahahahaha
    March 27 at 10:34pm · Report

are you lonely ? :D