Options

Premier league fixtures are they random?

Lawro2Lawro2 Posts: 1,219
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I always thought each of the 20 teams played each other once in the first half of the season and then again in the second half.

But have just noticed that last season Man Utd played Chelsea on 1st Mar 11 and on 8th May 11. Twice in the second half of the season.

Comments

• Options
    BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lawro2 wrote: »
    I always thought each of the 20 teams played each other once in the first half of the season and then again in the second half.

But have just noticed that last season Man Utd played Chelsea on 1st Mar 11 and on 8th May 11. Twice in the second half of the season.

That was because the first fixture planned for December (I think) was pushed back due to the bad weather and that was (apparently) the only time they could fit it.

I don't think they are 'random' though. The last time two top clubs played each other on the last day of the season was 1990 wasn't it?

Seems strange that it's never happened since, 12 years on.
  • Options
    tatlocktatlock Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're far, FAR from random.

You wouldn't believe the work that has to go into deciding when teams can and cannot play.

For example, certain local rivals can't play at home (or away) on the same day due to potential for trouble, they also have to ensure big games don't clash with other sporting events, some smaller clubs ask not to be at home when bigger rivals are as it impacts on thier takings, they all have to be worked around other UEFA and FIFA competitions, cleared by police, in sequence as much as possible for fairness (H, A, H, A, etc), then obviously Sky tell teams who they'll be broadcasting, etc, etc.

One thing i have always thought is that sequences of games should be looked at. For instance, you often get promoted sides playing four of the top clubs on the run early on, not sure that's entirely fair, but given it's an open competition that 'technically' (but not realistically) everyone can win, i suppose that shouldn't matter as ultimately all teams will play eachother home and away.

Two good articles here...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/paulfletcher/2009/06/secrets_of_the_fixture_compute.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/paulfletcher/2009/06/fixtures_questions_answered.html
  • Options
    skimminstonesskimminstones Posts: 8,403
    Forum Member
    one thing ive often wondered though is how much input sky have? seems a bit of a coincidence that every year there is a super sunday when the top 4 are playing each other.
  • Options
    this_is_methis_is_me Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A long time ago now, but you used to get Easter double headers so both matches between the teams were close to the end of the season. One example from 1963

Good Friday - Liverpool 5 Spurs 2
    Easter Monday - Spurs 7 Liverpool 2
  • Options
    big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To add to what has already been said, there is also regulations on the Boxing Day and New Years Day fixtures, where by teams who are are in a similar geographical region will play each other in order to prevent away fans having to travel to far on days where traditionally transport links are few and far between.
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chelsea bottled it and made up some excuse not to play us.

That and Atkinson wasn't available on that day.
  • Options
    BrunoStreeteBrunoStreete Posts: 7,180
    Forum Member
    one thing ive often wondered though is how much input sky have? seems a bit of a coincidence that every year there is a super sunday when the top 4 are playing each other.

Doesn't happen every year. It has happened once or twice, but if you look at the link provided you will see there is far too much work goes into them to provide Sky with some nice fixtures.
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    big mac wrote: »
    To add to what has already been said, there is also regulations on the Boxing Day and New Years Day fixtures, where by teams who are are in a similar geographical region will play each other in order to prevent away fans having to travel to far on days where traditionally transport links are few and far between.

We (Sunderland) always seem to play one of the North West teams on boxing Day,last season it was Man Utd away,this season Everton at home. If the point you make is valid why don't they just play one of the Tyne-Wear derbys on boxing Day?
  • Options
    big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    We (Sunderland) always seem to play one of the North West teams on boxing Day,last season it was Man Utd away,this season Everton at home. If the point you make is valid why don't they just play one of the Tyne-Wear derbys on boxing Day?

Yes, the fixtures are always North v North, but never derbies. I think it's due to policing issues that it doesn't happen, in that they aren't best equipped to put out extra resources needed for derbies to deal with the potential trouble (I'm pretty sure I've heard that before, but there may be another reason). However, Chelsea played Fulham this Boxing Day which is about as much of a derby as you can possibly get as they're right next to each other. Maybe some derbies are considered more volatile than others.

I distinctly remember my team (Newcastle) playing Leeds just about every year on Boxing Day when they were in the Premier League. Now, Bolton seems a fairly regular one for us.