Cilla, ITV, tngt, looking forward to this... But

Comments

• barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    humbug333 wrote: »
    Hopefully they will leave things open for Cilla 2 , the pre-Blind-date days..... I love nostalgia although it is not the same as it used to be.
    Hopefully not. This is a perfect little time capsule as it is and to turn it into a glorified soap opera would be a terrible move for all concerned.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bi opic but of a living person who is still on the telly making money. I hope BBC never hire again, which havent for years. A Diva and she has lost her roots. I will be happy to stand in front of her and shout that at her. with that. She is very Upper Oxfordshire... ,these days. what a pillock. PPS dont buy her books which i am sure will be due soon ...

It is a bit strange to have a biopic about a living, ex-pop singer who was hardly an iconic star of the British music industry. Even talking about the 60's and the Liverpool scene, Cilla Black would only be a footnote. Having said that, I think it captures the period well and it's a terrific performance by Sheridan Smith. To be honest, I'm not too bothered if they've airbrushed her character.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    fozzie74 wrote: »
    There's a cilla hate thread in the showbiz forum for those interested in carrying on all this off topic talk ffs, this is meant to be about the TV PROG (inc debates about accents ;)), not about what people claim to know about them both in "real life".

If it's 'off topic' to talk about her personality and whether people like her, then the whole thread is off topic, because the first post was about how better looking Sheridan is than Cilla and hardly anyone has carried that on.
  • Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's 'off topic' to talk about her personality and whether people like her, then the whole thread is off topic, because the first post was about how better looking Sheridan is than Cilla and hardly anyone has carried that on.

It's a story well told IMHO & Sheridan is very good plus the detail is very good the look etc the Dvd is out next month £12. I think I'll keep the recording I have though.
  • Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's about showbiz people most are up their own a+ses why? simple because people like O'grady, Winton tell her she's fab, That goes for a lot showbiz people they don't mix with joe public because joe public would tell where to get off.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am a fan too of Miss Sheridan but have realised how now versatile she is. Actually, although I never hated Cilla, I thought she was over-rated. I have changed my mind a bit although i think she turned into a bit of diva and forgot her roots although she pretends she hasn't. I am surprised they didnt try to re-enact her appearances on Thank Your Lucky Stars. Maybe the writer were too young to have lived through her early career and are depending on wikipedia's for information...... It was actually the first time, I , and the public first saw and heard her. The portrayal of Brian Epstein's sexuality was irrelevant. It didn't affect Cilla's life or career at all so why make it a big thing. Looking forward to the final episode but somehow feel it's going to a bit of a anticlimax.Hopefully they will leave things open for Cilla 2 , the pre-Blind-date days..... I love nostalgia although it is not the same as it used to be.

I had the pleasure of seeing Sheridan in the legally blonde music. She amazed me that much, i saw it another 5 times. I had also saw her previously in Little shop of horrors which she was also fabulous in and then Flare Path a little while after Legally blonde.

She also had me on the verge of crying in her much deserved bafta winning role of Mrs Biggs.

She has come a long way since the awful 2 pints of larger and a packet of crisps.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cillas Anyone Who Had A Heart is climbing up the charts. It's at number 46 in the midweek charts. :D
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder if they will release the Sheridan Smith version
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't stand Cilla and can't stand Sheridan Smith. She always seems to portray common as muck slags. She seems to be trying so hard to take on more upmarket roles these days but the only characters she seems capable of playing with any conviction are cheap mouthy northern chavs and slags. Sheridan Smith playing somebody posh is like trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

As for Cilla, she winds me up with her nails down a blackboard voice and her pretending to be a down to earth Liverpool lass pretending she's all working class when the truth of it is she can't be more pleased to be as far away from her roots as possible and wouldn't be seen dead back there as she's far to rich and full of self importance now she's moved on.
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    phill363 wrote: »

I suppose they could do - but I don't see the point. Cilla's version is the best (and I detest Cilla!)
  • boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    Can't stand Cilla and can't stand Sheridan Smith. She always seems to portray common as muck slags. She seems to be trying so hard to take on more upmarket roles these days but the only characters she seems capable of playing with any conviction are cheap mouthy northern chavs and slags. Sheridan Smith playing somebody posh is like trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

As for Cilla, she winds me up with her nails down a blackboard voice and her pretending to be a down to earth Liverpool lass pretending she's all working class when the truth of it is she can't be more pleased to be as far away from her roots as possible and wouldn't be seen dead back there as she's far to rich and full of self importance now she's moved on.

You clearly have no idea of the range of characters Sheridan has played on stage and screen.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She has come a long way since the awful 2 pints of larger and a packet of crisps.
    I loved Two Pints in its early days, but it went downhill fast when babies arrived to spoil the fun.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    boksbox wrote: »
    You clearly have no idea of the range of characters Sheridan has played on stage and screen.

It's funny, isn't it? Some people seem to have absolutely no idea whatsoever of Sheridan Smith's actual career. Are they confusing her with some soap actress or something? :confused:
  • catinabasketcatinabasket Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I so agree with you and am appalled by comments such as you refer to. She is actually better than Cilla in every respect, Cilla's screeching of "anyone who has a heart" put me off that beautiful song, until I heard Sheridan sing it, and made it so meaningful.

Sheridan has been deeply hurt by such comments and especially a Daily Snail article last week along those lines, which so upset her that she came off Twitter, although she got a lot of support there, we just couldn't get through to her. OK I know, so what, but she was one of the nicest people you could find and her Twitfam loved her. I have dumped Twitter too.
  • Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    phill363 wrote: »

I suppose they could do - but I don't see the point. Cilla's version is the best (and I detest Cilla!)

They should, I preferred it to the original. Cilla's sounds borderline caterwauling to my ears. Great song though.
  • beth0o0beth0o0 Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just purchased the Cilla version on itunes...hope I can get the Sheridan one also--- love this song..
  • topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People are downloading Cilla's version based on hearing Sheridan's and liking it
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

She's good at what she's good at basically and that's playing common northerners or some rough working class tart. I've seen her in plenty of other stuff where she's tried to portray more sophisticated characters and I'm sorry but for me it just doesn't work as her working class roots burst through every performance and her attempt to do a posh accent sounds false and put on like someone trying to put on a telephone voice. She seems like a one trick pony trying to learn more tricks and not being able to pull them off convincingly.

I can see why she'd be suited to playing Cilla though as she too is a rough mouthy working class common northern lass and those are the only kind of roles she seems to play with any real conviction as well as the characters where she plays some rough tart or somebody's cheeky bit on the side. She may be a lovely person but because of the things I've seen her in and the characters she tends to play she always seems to come across as all fur coat and no knickers.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Me too. :)

Sheridan Smith is just wonderful.
    I have to agree. Perfect for the role
    Not sure they had a 'Top Forty' as such in those days...
    The charts started in the early 50's
    Great ending to this episode! :cool:

I can't look at John Henshaw (Cilla's dad in this) without smiling, remembering him in the vastly underrated Early Doors. :D
    Ken was great in Coaps.
    cilla isn't a very pleasant to the public. She's hardly going to be rude to the actress playing her I'd imagine.
    I have to say that she has never ever been rude to me.
    MaxBeta wrote: »
    Generally very good at the 60s look especially the grotty little kitchens that people today wouldn't believe.

But there was one mistake, Brian Epstein's Jag had a D-suffix registration plate which was obviously wrong.
    Yes that was a goof. The scene was in 1963 and the car was registered in 1966.
    Glad someone else remembers that fantastic police series (to my mind the best ever British police show). Katy Cavanagh (Julie from Coronation Street) was brilliant in it too.

An excellent realistic cop show.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I love Cilla's version too, but Dusty Springfield's version pips it for me. :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yJqufpdR0E
  • MentoristMentorist Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's good at what she's good at basically and that's playing common northerners or some rough working class tart. I've seen her in plenty of other stuff where she's tried to portray more sophisticated characters and I'm sorry but for me it just doesn't work as her working class roots burst through every performance and her attempt to do a posh accent sounds false and put on like someone trying to put on a telephone voice. She seems like a one trick pony trying to learn more tricks and not being able to pull them off convincingly.

I can see why she'd be suited to playing Cilla though as she too is a rough mouthy working class common northern lass and those are the only kind of roles she seems to play with any real conviction as well as the characters where she plays some rough tart or somebody's cheeky bit on the side. She may be a lovely person but because of the things I've seen her in and the characters she tends to play she always seems to come across as all fur coat and no knickers.

How does her award winning role in Legally Blond (much discussed here) fit in to the "common Northerners" or "rough working class tart" categories?

I'm not a huge fan of Sheridan Smith however her performance in this production is absolutely fantastic. Watch her closely, she has taken on some of Cilla's facial expressions and movements perfectly, she's had a very good stab at the accent and she is portraying the emotions of ambition, nervousness and falling in love superbly. Such a shame she is recieving so much criticism, she is one of our brightest actresses and we should applaud her.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I am curious to know how much of her roles you have seen her in. Because she plays much more than what you list her to ever play.

Perhaps seeing her do theatre may alter your opinion.

She is one of the very few decent british television actresses we have.

I can't help but wonder if people mistake Sheridan Smith as a person to the characters she plays. I have seen comments saying Sheridan is a chav and a commoner. A bit of council estate trash with poor education. So what, if she is. However she is far from a chav. Not everyone in the world can be well spoken like Joanna Lumley for example. Who she is as a person outside these characters is irelevant. She comes across as a nice down to earth always up for a laugh young women. Who she is an everyday person shouldn't conflict into what she does for a living. It's judgemental and very unfair to be honest.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love Cilla's version too, but Dusty Springfield's version pips it for me. :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yJqufpdR0E

I agree. Dustys version is beautiful. Her voice is sublime.
  • catinabasketcatinabasket Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And I have never forgotten her remarkable and poignant performance as Cinderella Doe in an episode of Lark Rise to Candleford in 2008.
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,630
    Forum Member
    I agree. Dustys version is beautiful. Her voice is sublime.

Dusty version is much better than Cilla Black's. That beautiful tone in her voice that Cilla doesn't have