Options

TalkTalk broadband, slow Wi-Fi connection

StewartFStewartF Posts: 10,966
Forum Member
✭✭
Basically, devices connected to the internet via Wi-Fi have an extremely temperamental connection. Sometimes the speed is fine, other times it can take minutes for webpages to load. It's not relegated to just one device either, it's happening across all that are connected. My iPhone will regularly switch between Wi-Fi and 3G at times, even when it's well within range of the router.

I've tried changing the wireless channel but it's made no difference. When I connect my laptop to the router via an ethernet cable the connection is fine, no issues. Same goes for the blu-ray player. It's hooked up to the router and there have never been any issues with the likes of Netflix. It streams TV shows and movies in HD no problem.

Could it be an issue with the router itself? It's at least 5 years old and it has been a bit of an ongoing issue, although I don't remember it being this bad before. Considering buying a new one to see if it fixes things.

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you can find a copy on inSSIDer 3 then download and install it. Or you could spend 20 quid on the now paid for version 4.

This will show the WiFi environment and may show if the problem is interference or simply a poor signal from the router. If it's interference from other nearby networks then inSSIDer my show a free(ish) channel you can use instead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Managed to get a hold of a copy of inSSIDer 3. It recommended changing to a couple of different channels but neither had any effect. I'm unsure of how to interpret the rest of the data from inSSIDer, but it doesn't look great.

Link score is 38 and hasn't gone higher than that. Signal is -57 dBm.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    StewartF wrote: »
    Managed to get a hold of a copy of inSSIDer 3. It recommended changing to a couple of different channels but neither had any effect. I'm unsure of how to interpret the rest of the data from inSSIDer, but it doesn't look great.

Link score is 38 and hasn't gone higher than that. Signal is -57 dBm.

Basically all you need to look at is the graphical representation of the WiFi networks around you and make sure that your network is stronger than any others on the same or adjacent channels.

Unless you live in the middle of nowhere it is unlikely that you will find any completely clear channels to use so it's just a case of picking the least worst.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Basically all you need to look at is the graphical representation of the WiFi networks around you and make sure that your network is stronger than any others on the same or adjacent channels.

Unless you live in the middle of nowhere it is unlikely that you will find any completely clear channels to use so it's just a case of picking the least worst.

It's also worth considering using 5GHz if you can since it's more likely that you'll find a clearer or less congested channel
  • Options
    KennedyCKennedyC Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It might be the router. I had similar problems along with the broadband dropping and then reconnecting. I tried resetting the router (HG533) and talking to TalkTalk with no real solution. In the end I dug out the previous TalkTalk supplied router a DSL-3680 which seems to work ok but the wi fi is not as strong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay so the issue is still ongoing a couple of months on. Changing the channel has absolutely no effect on the connection. I reset the router to its factory settings and set it up again as if it were brand new but it's exactly the same.

The WiFi connection on my phone is fine if I'm in the same room but as soon as I go more than about 3 to 5 metres or so away it plays up. It will constantly switch between WiFi and 4G, and even when it's connected via WiFi it's incredibly slow.

Yet I can connect to one of my neighbours broadband who's router is further away and I have no issues and a faster connection.

Same goes for my laptop. In the same room it's fine. In another room it gets more unstable. Weirdly, it doesn't fall in and out of connection with the router as much as my phone does but it does every now and then, and the connection drags so much at times. Again, no issues connecting to a neighbours router via the laptop.

I found out the current one was issued by TalkTalk in April 2009. Over 6 years ago... definitely time to replace?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you checked "Power Saving" modes? I've had a problem with an HG533 and Windows 10. My wifi connectivity would drop to 1 or 2 MB when I was on "Balanced", rather than "Max Perfomance". It looks like the Router doesn't have certain power saving features and combined with a device that uses them means continual dropping of wifi.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought a new router after work today and got it set up and running - noticed a huuuge difference immediately, and no connection issues so far.