Options

Returning a Virgin Media used Openreach socket back to Openreach

Virgin Media have used the Openreach socket to provide telephone services.

There is an access panel in the ceiling for pipes and cables. It appears the Openreach cable was cut, the blue and orange are reconnected but green and brown are connected to blue/white and blue of the Virgin Media cable.

Could I restore the Openreach connection by reconnecting the green and brown wires?
assuming that what I looking at is actually the proper wires

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Virgin Media have used the Openreach socket to provide telephone services.

There is an access panel in the ceiling for pipes and cables. It appears the Openreach cable was cut, the blue and orange are reconnected but green and brown are connected to blue/white and blue of the Virgin Media cable.

Could I restore the Openreach connection by reconnecting the green and brown wires?
    assuming that what I looking at is actually the proper wires
    Is this the actual incoming line cable? Because neither you nor the Virgin bod are allowed to touch that. It might however be a cable laid in by the house builders that goes back to a termination point which is the demarcation point between "your" wiring and Openreach's. In that case you can do what you want with it.

If however it is Openreach's cable then technically they have to repair it. You would need to get your phone service provider to call them out and it is likely to be a chargeable repair unfortunately.

There is a possibility that the blue and orange are the line pair and the Virgin bod has bodged the Virgin connection onto the spare pair. The way you could test that is with a multimeter and see which pair has 50V DC on it. That will be the line pair. Of course that assumes the line is still connected at the exchange and the pair from the exchange to your local cabinet hasn't been nicked to provide someone else's phone line.

If the blue and orange are the line pair then connect them up to the A and B terminals on the inside of the master socket and if anybody asks about the cut cable deny all knowledge ;-) :D
  • Options
    Bob_ForwardBob_Forward Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Is this the actual incoming line cable? Because neither you nor the Virgin bod are allowed to touch that. It might however be a cable laid in by the house builders that goes back to a termination point which is the demarcation point between "your" wiring and Openreach's. In that case you can do what you want with it.

Thank you for responding.
    I believe, read I don't really have much of a clue, you are correct about termination point, in the building there is a room in the basement where all the phone lines are installed, then distrusted from there.

This is a photo of what was done
    http://1drv.ms/1I2fbP1

The black cable is the old phone cable, white Virgin Media
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,593
    Forum Member
    From the picture it seems all you need to do is connect the conductors from the two black cables back together (and it's only two wires - just connect the correct colours together), doing so will restore that part of the circuit back to how it was.
  • Options
    lonewallerlonewaller Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm no cabling expert either but that looks like a cheap "bodge" install.

Do you live in a flat? If so, is there (was there) a BT Master socket? If there is does the phone line still work?

You can read up on British phone cabling at
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_telephone_sockets

Brian
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for responding.
    I believe, read I don't really have much of a clue, you are correct about termination point, in the building there is a room in the basement where all the phone lines are installed, then distrusted from there.

This is a photo of what was done
    http://1drv.ms/1I2fbP1

The black cable is the old phone cable, white Virgin Media

If there is a termination point in the basement then chances are the black cable was laid in by the builders. So it's probably not Openreach responsibility. Which means that you can likely re-connect all the wires yourself.

If you want to do a "proper" job use something like this

www.amazon.co.uk/Terminal-Inline-Coupler-Junction-Extension/dp/B00CMC0MNE/

to join the cables. You'll also need a punch down tool to terminate the wires correctly.

But as I said earlier test the wires to see if there is 50V DC between the pairs (with the Virgin cable disconnected) to identify which is the line if it's still connected.
  • Options
    ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a little strange that it's the green/brown pair that has been connected to the Virgin wire, as it's normally the orange/blue pair that is used when there's just a single socket.

Virgin installers nicking the wiring and socket does happen a lot though. It saves them having to run their own wiring all the way through the house. Some of them try to hide it a bit by changing the socket for a Virgin Media branded one, but the really lazy ones don't even bother doing that.

Its easily self repaired here. Just a couple of those jelly crimps, and then wrap it in tape to cover the join.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ba_baracus wrote: »
    It's a little strange that it's the green/brown pair that has been connected to the Virgin wire, as it's normally the orange/blue pair that is used when there's just a single socket.

Virgin installers nicking the wiring and socket does happen a lot though. It saves them having to run their own wiring all the way through the house. Some of them try to hide it a bit by changing the socket for a Virgin Media branded one, but the really lazy ones don't even bother doing that.

Its easily self repaired here. Just a couple of those jelly crimps, and then wrap it in tape to cover the join.
    As I posted earlier it is always possible the Virgin bod connected to the spare pair in the cable and swapped over the wires on the back of the master socket.

Though I do wonder why he felt it necessary to chop through the cable when all he really needed to do was remove a couple of inches of outer insulation and just cut the exposed green and brown leaving blue and orange intact.

Does smack of that well known firm Bodgit and Legit :D
  • Options
    IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,083
    Forum Member
    We found that a lot of the time in my area the Virgin installers would take over the Openrech socket and replace it with a Virgin one. Sometimes they'd cut the overhead BT dropwire and divert the part of it coming from the house so that it goes into the Virgin box on the front of the house!

This means they don't need to drill any holes or run any cables to give phone service! But it makes it a pain when the customer returns to the Openreach network.
  • Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If people are charged by Open Reach because of this practice, do they have any come back on Virgin Media?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If people are charged by Open Reach because of this practice, do they have any come back on Virgin Media?
    Strictly speaking the end user will not be charged by Openreach. Openreach work for the service providers so they will bill the service provider and it is the service provider who bills the end user.

In this sort of scenario it is not inconceivable that a service provider could go directly to Virgin Media to recover their costs. Virgin Media should know better than anyone that you don't muck about with Openreach kit. They would not take kindly to someone chopping their cables to nick them for some other purpose after all.

Though in this instance it looks like the OP's cable could be a builder installed one rather than Openreach so chances are Openreach won't care it's been cut.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ba_baracus wrote: »
    When I moved in here, my phone line didn't work, Sky and Openreach did some computer checks on the line, came back OK, which I assume was checking up to the distribution point.
    An Openreach engineer came out and said something about the wiring in the building being wrong. That may explain the difference in colours. Oh and there are 3 extension sockets, none of which work, although in two years I've never checked/used them.
    chrisjr wrote: »
    As I posted earlier it is always possible the Virgin bod connected to the spare pair in the cable and swapped over the wires on the back of the master socket.

The guy did mention something about Openreach being able to use "a spare pair",. He did have a device in the master test socket but didn't remove the whole socket, which I think he would have to do change the wires.

there is a blue/white white/blue cable behind the faceplate socket, but I think that is for the extension sockets.

Thank you for the terminal block link and the multimeter advice, I think I would only have to reconnect the cut wires wires. I think he did what was quickest and easiest for him.
    Why are some wires still connected to the old wire, do they do anything?

I would like to thank everyone in this thread for their help and advice.
  • Options
    lonewallerlonewaller Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    there is a blue/white white/blue cable behind the faceplate socket, but I think that is for the extension sockets.

Thank you for the terminal block link and the multimeter advice, I think I would only have to reconnect the cut wires wires. I think he did what was quickest and easiest for him.

Still not clear on your exact set up. Do you have a Master socket (NT5) and 3 extensions.

From memory BT cable can have 4 or 6 wires (6 being old style) which is used in "pairs" - the key is to always keep the same colour coded wires together. Only one pair is required for a phone line.

The Wiki article I linked to in an earlier post will explain how the wires work up to and from a master socket.

If all that's required is the re-connect the cables shown in the picture then perhaps the connectors shown can be re-used. If a "Krone" tool is required you can pick up cheap ones from the likes of Maplins or on-line (where the postage will probably cost more).

Brian
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lonewaller wrote: »
    Still not clear on your exact set up. Do you have a Master socket (NT5) and 3 extensions.
    yes, one master socket NT5 and 3 extensions.
    I know my posts are confusing, as I just don't know anything about phone wiring, I'm trying to figure out what was done. Sorry.
    lonewaller wrote: »
    From memory BT cable can have 4 or 6 wires (6 being old style) which is used in "pairs" - the key is to always keep the same colour coded wires together. Only one pair is required for a phone line.

The Wiki article I linked to in an earlier post will explain how the wires work up to and from a master socket.

If all that's required is the re-connect the cables shown in the picture then perhaps the connectors shown can be re-used. If a "Krone" tool is required you can pick up cheap ones from the likes of Maplins or on-line (where the postage will probably cost more).

Brian

I have what the wiki article calls 4 wire old style.
    I've removed the master socket and had a look at the wires, only the brown and green are connected, the same wires connected to the virgin media cable.
    So I do only have to reconnect the wires back to the old telephone cable in the access panel in the hall to restore Openreach connectivity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I moved in here, my phone line didn't work, Sky and Openreach did some computer checks on the line, came back OK, which I assume was checking up to the distribution point.
    An Openreach engineer came out and said something about the wiring in the building being wrong. That may explain the difference in colours. Oh and there are 3 extension sockets, none of which work, although in two years I've never checked/used them.

The guy did mention something about Openreach being able to use "a spare pair",. He did have a device in the master test socket but didn't remove the whole socket, which I think he would have to do change the wires.

I would like to thank everyone in this thread for their help and advice.
    It sounds like the socket may never have been wired up to a working exchange line. Or it was wired up to the wrong pair on the termination point.

What the Virgin guy probably did was plug a line finder device into the socket. This puts a distinctive tone on the line that is picked up by a probe. Used, as the name suggests, to identify the line pair. If he didn't take the socket completely apart then that would be how he worked out which wires were wired to the back of the socket.

Only two wires are needed for a phone line so the two that are still connected together on the two halves of the black cable probably do nothing and are probably lying loose in the back of the socket.

If you have an NTE5 type master socket with the two part faceplate then the removable section only reveals the extension termination. The phone line is terminated behind the section still attached to the wall.

So any wires on the back of the removable section will be extension cables. If they don't work then either they have been attached to the wrong terminals or not punched down into the terminal correctly.
  • Options
    ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So I do only have to reconnect the wires back to the old telephone cable in the access panel in the hall to restore Openreach connectivity.

Yes. Join green to green and brown to brown, and it should work (or at least get you a connection through to the distribution point).
  • Options
    PudpullerTMPudpullerTM Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes, one master socket NT5 and 3 extensions.
    I know my posts are confusing, as I just don't know anything about phone wiring, I'm trying to figure out what was done. Sorry.

I have what the wiki article calls 4 wire old style.
    I've removed the master socket and had a look at the wires, only the brown and green are connected, the same wires connected to the virgin media cable.

do you have a BT socket AND a vm socket

do you know where the black wire goes to in your house
  • Options
    Randomguy1Randomguy1 Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate when engineers do this. They should install a separate socket so that if the line was ever changed you can just unplug from one and plug into another.
  • Options
    kevin88kevin88 Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Randomguy1 wrote: »
    I hate when engineers do this. They should install a separate socket so that if the line was ever changed you can just unplug from one and plug into another.

I know that its just laziness of the engineer to be honest to save them installing a socket.
  • Options
    HurlleyHurlley Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While the engineer may be lazy, there may be good reason he has done this e.g. the entrance into the property may be limited? to be fair he has only pinched the spare pair by the looks of it and the Openreach socket should be fine, just depends on the other end of the cable how has that been connected? that's more important that the internal picture where he has cut in. He has used crimps which are used by openreach to make a good connection.