Options

Live At The Apollo - Series 6, Thursdays 9:30pm BBC1

degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
Forum Member
30 minute episodes this series.

Sean Lock and John Bishop tonight
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00wbw8r

Episodes 2 & 3 look promising
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_at_the_Apollo_(TV_series)#Series_6_.282010-2011.29

Comments

• Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really enjoyed Sean Lock.

Last time I saw JB I was a bit disappointed, hope it's better tonight
  • Options
    iiHEARTy0uiiHEARTy0u Posts: 13,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John Bishop is waffling on a bit..
  • Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    What was that? John Bishop's Jackanory?

And Jimmy Carr reckons we are in a golden age of British comedy.

Just because a load of average comedians have released their Christmas cash-in DVDs.

I'm with Chris Evans, Christmas comedy DVDs are crap, and well done for sticking it to that egotistical unfunny oaf Gervais as well.
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Feels odd to have it on a Thursday. I'm used to seeing it on a Friday or Saturday.
  • Options
    Free as a birdFree as a bird Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if this is repeated at all?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These shows are always repeated endlessly. Even the new ones are just the same handful of comedians going through their stale routines.
  • Options
    newda898newda898 Posts: 5,466
    Forum Member
    I preferred the show when it had the text messaging bit at the end, and not ruthlessly hacked down to a 30min slot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    What was that? John Bishop's Jackanory?

:D

It wasn't the best routine but atleast it was new (to me).
    I'm hoping that this series will see the comedians doing their new stuff because in the last year of apollo and comedy roadshow it's been like watching repeats because the comedians seemed to drag up their old routines.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Sean Lock was very good, but John Bishop ?..I just don't understand his current popularity. He spent so long telling us that one mildly amusing anecdote (about his 14 mates coming down to London)..and it finished with little in the way of a punchline.
    People like him, so he obviously must be better than that ?.. I can only presume that he needs more time for his brand of humour ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah John Bishop was pretty unfunny, boring routine
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do they record longer sketches than get shown on TV? I just can't see why John Bishop would go on the show and just do that 'sketch'.

I wonder if he did a longer routine and the producer or editor of the show cut it down to that because it was about the show. Seems like a case of TV people thinking we're as interested in them as they are.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soundstory wrote: »
    Yeah John Bishop was pretty unfunny, boring routine

He was so unfunny we turned him off. His story about his 14 mates was tedious, it sounded like he needed a confessional with the producers to set the record straight about nabbing 12 extra tickets.

If it really was a true story, of course. And if it wasn't, well, WTF? Why bore us to death with a totally pointless story?:confused:

Love Sean Lock though.
  • Options
    GlengavelGlengavel Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only me that watched it last night? Rich Hall - comic genius. I was crying with laughter at the end of his piece. I've heard better from Danny Bhoy and Lee Mack, though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I didn't think much of Rich Hall at all. I do like him but that routine just didn't do anything for me.

I agree about the other two. I'm a fan of some of the Just For Laughs routines that Danny Bhoy has done and I like his style of comedy but that routine wasn't the best.
  • Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    That "Cork Man Drowns" joke is ancient.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think i've heard Jimmy Carr mention it before also. It was more in homage rather than to get a laught from it.
    He was on about the shortest jokes in the world.

"stationary shop moves"

:D

And there was another one with only two words.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Hall was excellent and Danny Bhoy very funny. I didn't think Lee Mack was so great though.
  • Options
    LadyCakeLadyCake Posts: 3,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John Bishop was awful on last week's show and I used to find him funny at times. A anecdote about his rise to fame shouldn't be classed as stand up routine seeing as it was unfunny , overlong and dull.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Hall was excellent and Danny Bhoy very funny. I didn't think Lee Mack was so great though.

I agree, Lee Mack was strangely off-form and he's normally one of my favourites. I liked Rich Hall (as usual) and was impressed with Danny Bhoy..hadn't seen him before, he has a great delivery.

Far too short for any of them to really "get going" though..30 mins for three established acts, at a big venue, is absurd.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,134
    Forum Member
    Hello:)

I see no comedy routines- more three minute adverts for their merchandise

Advertising on the BBC
  • Options
    peodudepeodude Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    Lee Mack's whole routine was lifted clean off his new DVD. Even his interaction with the audience, the Twitter and Kirsty Alsop jokes. I am a Lee Mack fan though, so it' a shame.

At least John Bishop tried to come up with some new material that was relevant to the show, even if it didn't work 100%
  • Options
    TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Lee Mack was pretty good, didn't enjoy Rich Hall at all, and was impressed with Danny Bhoy.
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone watching?

Thought Dara was brilliant
  • Options
    newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    Anyone watching?

Thought Dara was brilliant

Love dara but that did nothing for me :( maybe if I was a gamer? Canadian guy is funny though!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    newkid30 wrote: »
    Love dara but that did nothing for me :( maybe if I was a gamer? Canadian guy is funny though!

Dara seemed to pretty much acknowledge that that routine had probably limited appeal for non-gamers. Stuart Francis, the Canadian, was one of these ones who fire endless one-liners, and I find that I can tire of that quite quickly.