Navigation

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,232
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi everyone. I'm a terrible navigator, and I could really do with developing this skill in the new job that I've just started.

I can walk into a building, find the toilet, and then be unable to remember how to get back out of the building; I struggle to follow maps - have trouble with relating what's on the paper to what I'm seeing, if that makes sense, and when we leave one page, I don't relate the new page to the one I was on before; I don't remember routes at all and need to do them about 15+ times before they stick in my mind, where as most people seem to remember after a couple of practices...

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can develop my skills? I've been searching on YouTube for videos of people teaching navigation skills. Not found one yet. I'm wondering if there's a tip that will get me started. Maybe there's one basic skill that will then enable me to develop the main skills? There must be something that I'm not doing that most people do without thinking about it.

Comments

• Feed The ReaperFeed The Reaper Posts: 7,135
    Forum Member
    I think your brain has to be set to be able to navigate, the more methodical you are the more you treat navigation as a pattern rather than as a memory thing.

I am great at navigating but that is just because I just seem to know what left/right/right/right/left I took to get somewhere. I make a mental note of features around me and directions i took at turnings by looking at what is at that change of direction, plus if you are outside its easy cos you can get a rough idea of what direction you are in by the sun position, so if you drove along a road with the sun to the right of you..... it is obvious that you would leave via that road a few minutes later with the sun to the left of you!

Or get a smartphone and download one of them apps that lets you see to within 5 metres where you are.... a few jogging apps are good for that as they track your progress down to a small metre area.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The sun position thing is a good idea. That ought to be easy really. I'll have a bash at learning sunrise and sunset. Thank you! And noting landmarks - that's been suggested to me lots of times but I haven't got to grips with it yet. I think I need to activate different bits of my brain.