Options

Which is the biggest club in the world?

Lawro2Lawro2 Posts: 1,219
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Which is the biggest club in the world?

This is a Poll version of the other thread.

Feel free to mention any I may have missed out.

Which is the biggest club in the world? 85 votes

AC Milan
1% 1 vote
Ajax
1% 1 vote
Barcelona
24% 21 votes
Bayern Munich
0% 0 votes
Benfica
0% 0 votes
Inter Milan
0% 0 votes
Juventus
1% 1 vote
Liverpool
17% 15 votes
Man Utd
34% 29 votes
Real Madrid
20% 17 votes

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No Real Madrid?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No Real Madrid?

Real Madrid added to the Poll.

I completely forgot about them. :o
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They aren't in your list.
  • Options
    the chimpthe chimp Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Waste of time poll, no man u hater will vote for them even if they think they are, funny Barca are winning when they aren't even as big as Madrid.

Size and success are quite easily confused on this forum it seems.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the chimp wrote: »
    Waste of time poll, no man u hater will vote for them even if they think they are, funny Barca are winning when they aren't even as big as Madrid.

Size and success are quite easily confused on this forum it seems.

Waste of time you posting here.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where is Wigan?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As much as i cant stand the Red B******s its probably Man Utd .
    Wheres Darlo on your list ? :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where is Wigan?

About 15 miles from Manchester:p
  • Options
    CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    on that list I would probably say its between Man Utd and Real Madrid with Madrid probably just edging it.

though there is an argument that could be put forward that someone like Boca Juniors or River Plate be included in these sort of lists
  • Options
    CoenCoen Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    Caltonfan wrote: »
    on that list I would probably say its between Man Utd and Real Madrid with Madrid probably just edging it.

though there is an argument that could be put forward that someone like Boca Juniors or River Plate be included in these sort of lists

I went to a Boca Juniors game a few years back, never seen anything like it.

Amazing support, huge in South America (I think they reckon that something like 70% of Argentinians support either Boca or River Plate), a history to rival the top European clubs and very popular in Asia as well apparently, but not that high profile in Europe, probably best known here for some of the players they've produced that have gone on to play for European clubs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,864
    Forum Member
    Coen wrote: »
    I went to a Boca Juniors game a few years back, never seen anything like it.

Amazing support, huge in South America (I think they reckon that something like 70% of Argentinians support either Boca or River Plate), a history to rival the top European clubs and very popular in Asia as well apparently, but not that high profile in Europe, probably best known here for some of the players they've produced that have gone on to play for European clubs.

I bet it must be a huge shock for River Plate and their fans to be playing in the second division of Argentinian football for the first time in their history.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    I've always considered Real Madrid as #1, Barca #2, Man Utd #3 and AC Milan #4. But if we are talking in the present then its Barca #1, they are outstanding. Then Millwall #2 :D:D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I was put on the spot and blurted an answer out without thought I would blurt out Real Madrid or Barca. I'm not really sure how I could justify putting one ahead of the other.
  • Options
    Barry WilsonBarry Wilson Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the present I'd rate Barcelona as the biggest club.

Overall Real Madrid with their 9 european cups.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So peiople don't look at history, fanbases and trophy cabinets (Biggest) and just vote for Barca? Pathetic. :mad:

Forza Juve. :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alfie2008 wrote: »
    I bet it must be a huge shock for River Plate and their fans to be playing in the second division of Argentinian football for the first time in their history.

It was a big enough shock when I told my mates...
  • Options
    GeneralissimoGeneralissimo Posts: 6,289
    Forum Member
    Real Madrid just edge it ahead of Barca for me.
  • Options
    Barry WilsonBarry Wilson Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So peiople don't look at history, fanbases and trophy cabinets (Biggest) and just vote for Barca? Pathetic. :mad:

Forza Juve. :cool:

People clearly do look at all those aspects hence the top 4 being Barca, Real Madrid, Man Utd and Liverpool.

Barca are making their own history at the moment, they have totally dominated the champions league in the past few years.

And Barca have a rich history when it comes to the world class players that have played for them. Cruyff, Maradona, Stoichkov, Romario, Ronaldo, Figo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho.
  • Options
    Launch FanLaunch Fan Posts: 5,002
    Forum Member
    Why isn't York City on this? We just pummeled Wrexham 3-0 at their place. Barcelona would struggle to achieve similar ;)
  • Options
    Too CloseToo Close Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Man Utd
  • Options
    alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member
    Pointless exercise and discussion imo so I refuse to vote - its like a vote on what is the best film ever or best song ever or the best looking girl ever - its all a matter of opinon and depends what criteria you use and can never be proved one way or the other.

I am a liverpool fan as many will know and so could never vote for MU in such a poll - how can they be the 'biggest' when they consistently fail in Europe? .... etc but then I can understand I suppose why some may regard them as such looking at stuff like fan base and recent domestic league record.

Then some may vote for Real Madrid cos of their European Cup record and the fact they've won most Spanish leagues but given how Barca are clearly better than them currently how is that a viable view?

I see some have voted for us which even from my pov is a bit of a laugh - maybe in our halcyon days in the late 70s and 80s we could make such a claim but not now obviously - altho I like the mentality of Liverpool FC and want us to be seen as the biggest but maybe I am just a bit biased - :) - as we all will be.

So as I said - bit of a pointless discussion!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    Pointless exercise and discussion imo so I refuse to vote - its like a vote on what is the best film ever or best song ever or the best looking girl ever - its all a matter of opinon and depends what criteria you use and can never be proved one way or the other.

I am a liverpool fan as many will know and so could never vote for MU in such a poll - how can they be the 'biggest' when they consistently fail in Europe? .... etc but then I can understand I suppose why some may regard them as such looking at stuff like fan base and recent domestic league record.

Then some may vote for Real Madrid cos of their European Cup record and the fact they've won most Spanish leagues but given how Barca are clearly better than them currently how is that a viable view?

I see some have voted for us which even from my pov is a bit of a laugh - maybe in our halcyon days in the late 70s and 80s we could make such a claim but not now obviously - altho I like the mentality of Liverpool FC and want us to be seen as the biggest but maybe I am just a bit biased - :) - as we all will be.

So as I said - bit of a pointless discussion!!

Yes, as I said on the other thread on this subject, the main problem is both OPs not setting any criteria whatsoever. So different peiople look at it in totally differnt ways or based on different combinations, which also leads to some misunderstandings and doesn't make the threads as fruitful as they might be.

Pointless is further than I would go, and I did end up plumping for Manchester United for the overall reasons I gave there : tradition, history ( some clearly tragic), trophies, and fanbase, both in regular attendance and worldwide..
  • Options
    alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member
    Btw OP where is Man City on your list? Or Chelsea? Or Paris St Germain? - cos if we look at money then they all have a claim to be the biggest club haven't they? Or is that too vulgar?

As I said a bit pointless - I remember Carra being asked such a question in an interview

Interviewer : Jamie, have you ever wanted to play for a bigger club?'

Carra : Which club is bigger than Liverpool?
    (pause)
    Oh I see you mean has more money - er No!!

Loved that - in fact on my facebook page it (Which club is bigger than LFC?) is one of my favourite quotes!!
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Btw OP where is Man City on your list? Or Chelsea? Or Paris St Germain? - cos if we look at money then they all have a claim to be the biggest club haven't they? Or is that too vulgar?

As I said a bit pointless - I remember Carra being asked such a question in an interview

Interviewer : Jamie, have you ever wanted to play for a bigger club?'

Carra : Which club is bigger than Liverpool?
    (pause)
    Oh I see you mean has more money - er No!!

Loved that - in fact on my facebook page it (Which club is bigger than LFC?) is one of my favourite quotes!!

City and Chelsea aren't even bigger than Arsenal never mind any others on the list. In England it's a straight fight between Liverpool and United based on trophies, history and fan base with Arsenal next but some distance behind based on the same factors. Outside of England it has to be Real Madrid, although they are lurking in the Barca shadow at the moment they tick all the boxes for what makes a big club.
  • Options
    ads84ads84 Posts: 7,332
    Forum Member
    Hilarious how all the Liverpool fans are blindly voting their team the biggest club. What's that phrase about not being able to see past the end of your nose??