Options

Was Chris Foy's red card decision correct?

Comments

• Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    Yes. It was a two footed tackle.
  • Options
    OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,511
    Forum Member
    Are you honestly trying to tell us you have never discussed a post match game, I find that incredibly hard to believe.

This entire football forum would cease to exist if we all moved on after the final whistle blew.

Of course not, but this whole red card thing has been discussed ad nauseum from the moment it happened.
    Why we need a poll when we cannot actually re-run the match is beyond me?
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This whole thread is pointless, there is already another thread on the subject. Adding a poll means nothing to me.
  • Options
    Barry WilsonBarry Wilson Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope Chris Foy is enjoying his 5 minutes of fame, even if it is for the wrong reasons.
  • Options
    GeneralissimoGeneralissimo Posts: 6,289
    Forum Member
    Of course it was - 2 footed tackle = red card. Players have had this drummed into them for ten years now yet some still do it and are still defended. If you want to disagree with the rule then fine but Foy would have been hauled in front of his superiors had he not produced a red, it was Kompany's own stupid fault that he got sent off and nobody else's.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wjhat ever angle you see it from it was not a red
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,048
    Forum Member
    By law it seems so but harsh to the untrained eye.

One hopes if Mr Rooney gets sent off for such a foul he won't be complaining having helped the Man City guy get sent off.
  • Options
    MojoMasterMojoMaster Posts: 6,494
    Forum Member
    Mark F wrote: »

One hopes if Mr Rooney gets sent off for such a foul he won't be complaining having helped the Man City guy get sent off.

Foy had already made his decision. It was a two-footed tackle.

So the "trained eye" deemed it dangerous, which it was.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the fa seem to have made there feeling clear with what they deem a red card when they didnt overturn the millias red. that wasnt even a foul in my view and kompany's tackle was much worse and more dangerous than that.

Mark F wrote: »

really? mancini went down this ridiculous route too, sometimes you will see players really get in a refs face to get a player carded or to claim a foul, rooneys seemed a mild appeal at best, with no waving of a card its hard to know if its for just a fk or a card.
  • Options
    clarky323clarky323 Posts: 10,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dandem wrote: »
    No, it wasn't a red card.

But as a Liverpool fan, I won't be sad to see him banned for both the Carling Cup ties.

this. couldn't have said it better myself :D
  • Options
    Lawro2Lawro2 Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This whole thread is pointless, there is already another thread on the subject. Adding a poll means nothing to me.

You say it as if you've never made a pointless thread.

The poll wasn't created to serve a meaning for you.
  • Options
    mikeydddmikeyddd Posts: 11,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    Having watched the video back it's not actually a two footed tackle.

The other point I would make - it could be argued it wasnt even a tackle - more of an interception ie the ball was cleared from man u defence and he was always going to get there before nani - albeit fractionally but that's why it can't be considered dangerous.
  • Options
    ScousingScowlerScousingScowler Posts: 934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A two footed tackle is defined by Fifa as:

'Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force and endangering the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.'

Kompany did not display any signs of excessive force or endangering the safety of an opponent. I'm sure if it was dangerous Nani would have reacted in a totally different way.
  • Options
    poshnoshposhnosh Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

'Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force and endangering the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.'

Kompany did not display any signs of excessive force or endangering the safety of an opponent. I'm sure if it was dangerous Nani would have reacted in a totally different way.

So FIFA's own definition of a two footed tackle is one "using one or both legs".

Surely, if only one leg is used it cannot, by definition , be two footed?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By the letter of the law the tackle was a sending off, depending on how the referee saw it. The referee saw it as possibly dangerous, so he was off. It was possibly dangerous. It didn't end up being dangerous, but it easily could have been, which is why he was off.
  • Options
    Tel69Tel69 Posts: 27,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kompany is an idiot as is any player jumping in with 2 feet. Foy is a crap ref but all he sees is Belgiums entry for. The 2012 long jump and for once I dont think he had a choice.
  • Options
    jamiepondjamiepond Posts: 377
    Forum Member
    Why do you think it wasn't a red card? That type of tackle has been a red card for years.

well your opinion and mine along with many others on this forum and others are very different.
    although it doesnt affect the outcome whatsoever chris foy will always be a complete moron in my opinon and maybe a trip to specsavers is overdue for him. :p
  • Options
    Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, but I can see why it was given and if it were Liverpool who City were playing, I wouldn't have been arsed seeing Kompany sent off.
  • Options
    Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Completely agree. This "two footed tackle = red card" thing is a common misconception. That's not the rule. Kompany's tackle did involve two legs, yes, but he barely left the ground and seemed to be in complete control and won the ball. It was a brilliant tackle. I think it deserved a yellow for being two-footed, but not a red under the rules of the game as it didn't seem reckless/malicious/excessively forceful.
  • Options
    frostfrost Posts: 4,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wasn't dangerous, Kompany looked like he was in control,

The guy is off both his feet in the air, he is huge, moving towards the player with no part of him touching the ground, and his studs facing upwards. how in any way shape or form can you call that "looked like he was in control"?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Correct call for me.

We all moan about referees being inconsistent. Two footed lunges like that are one of the few things they consistently give a red for.
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    55 people don't know the rules of the game.
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vincent Kompany did nothing wrong. I saw it on the telly myself. Disgrace.
  • Options
    BrunoStreeteBrunoStreete Posts: 7,180
    Forum Member
    It wasn't dangerous, Kompany looked like he was in control, it wasn't the usual textbook two footed lunge into opponents ankle. The weight of the tackle appeared fairly light and evenly distributed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1wgiDZRviE

If it's two footed it's red. Those are the rules.
  • Options
    Barry WilsonBarry Wilson Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    frost wrote: »
    The guy is off both his feet in the air, he is huge, moving towards the player with no part of him touching the ground, and his studs facing upwards. how in any way shape or form can you call that "looked like he was in control"?

His feet were no more in the air than a sliding tackle. You can be in the air and in control if you are slow.