Can Germany spank Argentina in the final?

Lawro2Lawro2 Posts: 1,219
Forum Member
✭✭✭
At the last World Cup Germany beat Argentina 4-0.

On the pitch Germany just come across as far more stronger and organised than Argentina and I think they will win the final comfortably.

Now that I have said all that I fully expect the opposite of what I said to occur...

Comments

• nevadanevada Posts: 1,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They may spank them. Or alternatively, give them a hiding. Or a whipping.
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Argentina are very well organised this time around and cannot be compared to the shambolic team they were four years ago under Maradona. I expect them to be very well prepared for the Germans and attack them very diligently in midfield so not to allow them any room to manoeuvre. They have a much better coach now and Mascherano is playing brilliantly. It's not going to be a walk in the park for Germany.
  • Peter VenkmanPeter Venkman Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unlike Braseeel, Argentina's defence is rock solid. It won't be a spanking so please don't sit there watching the final with a box of tissues. If Germany win it will be 1-0 or 2-1 or something.
  • DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2-1 Germany
  • ChilisauceChilisauce Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    Argentina have a tight defence so I don't think there'll be a spanking. 2-0 to Germany maybe.

How about the Dutch tonight. Do you reckon they'll hand out another whipping for Brazil?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chilisauce wrote: »
    Argentina have a tight defence so I don't think there'll be a spanking. 2-0 to Germany maybe.

How about the Dutch tonight. Do you reckon they'll hand out another whipping for Brazil?

No. The Dutch don't care about this match and Brazil have a point to prove. I wouldn't be surprised if Brazil won.
  • The SnowmanThe Snowman Posts: 895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone seems to think that Germany winning is a certainty but I'm not so sure. Argentina has a brilliant defence and they like to stifle midfields which is Germany's strong point. This will definitely be a tight match and it may go all the way to penalties. It's 50-50.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    No. The Dutch don't care about this match and Brazil have a point to prove. I wouldn't be surprised if Brazil won.

I've a strong hunch the Brazilians will win. They've lost only one home match since 1975 (on Tuesday of course) and I don't see them losing two in a row.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone seems to think that Germany winning is a certainty but I'm not so sure. Argentina has a brilliant defence and they like to stifle midfields which is Germany's strong point. This will definitely be a tight match and it may go all the way to penalties. It's 50-50.

In theory, yes but I think Germany are a much better side than the Belgian and Dutch ones that Argentina faced. Germany have scored in every match so far and the Argentinians will have a job keeping them at bay.
  • DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    I've a strong hunch the Brazilians will win. They've lost only one home match since 1975 (on Tuesday of course) and I don't see them losing two in a row.

Holland depend so much on Robben, and I can't see him being too bothered running around (and diving around) too much for this one.

Draw or Brazil win, leaning towards the Brazil win.

talking of which, no thread for the 3rd place game tonight ?
  • Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    I don't think Argentina has been less organised than Germany. I think these have been the two most organised sides in the tournament. Although obviously Germany has been more offence oriented and Argentina has been more conservative. Spain played that style four years ago and gave Germany problems in the semi. After goal scoring sprees against England and Argentina the Germans were on the wrong end of an eins-null.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,963
    Forum Member
    Holland depend so much on Robben, and I can't see him being too bothered running around (and diving around) too much for this one.

Draw or Brazil win, leaning towards the Brazil win.

talking of which, no thread for the 3rd place game tonight ?
    The game will be played like a friendly. Scolari might well say Brazil's got to fight for third place but the players know that they are disgraced and the manager is dead meat. I doubt they'll be overly bothered about this one. As for the Dutch, they probably can't wait for their flight home.
    Forum Member
    For me, the only time the Germans have looked any good is when the opposition is a mess or has given up. When put to the sword, they've struggled. Argentina haven't been much cop either really and Messi's goals have spared them humiliation. Could well go to penalties. There are no outstanding teams in this tournament.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    The game will be played like a friendly. Scolari might well say Brazil's got to fight for third place but the players know that they are disgraced and the manager is dead meat. I doubt they'll be overly bothered about this one. As for the Dutch, they probably can't wait for their flight home.

I think Brazil will be bothered enough not to lose. They've lost only one competitive game at home in 40 years.....they won't want to lose a second one.

Scolari looks set to stay on by the way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    For me, the only time the Germans have looked any good is when the opposition is a mess or has given up. When put to the sword, they've struggled. Argentina haven't been much cop either really and Messi's goals have spared them humiliation. Could well go to penalties. There are no outstanding teams in this tournament.

They did fight back against Ghana though when 2-1 down and are the only one of the four semi finalists not to have gone through a penalty shoot out this year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scolari looks set to stay on by the way.

That's got to be a joke. Not only is this the last match for him as Brazil's manager, he will have to emigrate somewhere far in order to get another job.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Argentina has been less organised than Germany. I think these have been the two most organised sides in the tournament. Although obviously Germany has been more offence oriented and Argentina has been more conservative. Spain played that style four years ago and gave Germany problems in the semi. After goal scoring sprees against England and Argentina the Germans were on the wrong end of an eins-null.

Spain 2010 were a far better team than the current Argentinian one though. They kept winning their matches by only 1-0 but they were a fantastic side.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's got to be a joke. Not only is this the last match for him as Brazil's manager, he will have to emigrate somewhere far in order to get another job.

You haven't been following today's news then. The incoming president of the Brazilian FA says he wants him to stay and Scolari says he wants to keep his job too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You haven't been following today's news then. The incoming president of the Brazilian FA says he wants him to stay and Scolari says he wants to keep his job too.

That's got to be a joke... Surely? :eek:

I always thought Scolari was a terrible coach even when he won the WC in 2002. He had a team of superstars who won it for him and even then Brazil weren't playing as a team.

He has been useless with all his teams ever since 2002.
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    I would make Germany the slight favourites and I certainly hope that they win, but I think this will be a very close game and I don't see many goals either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I always thought Scolari was a terrible coach even when he won the WC in 2002. He had a team of superstars who won it for him and even then Brazil weren't playing as a team.

Not at all. I see Neymar's agent has launched a blistering attack on Scolari describing him as a useless coach but it actually appears as if he is staying on.
    Forum Member

I think media and public pressure will force him out. They'll want someone with new ideas and who doesn't pick hopeless players like Fred who'd struggle to keep a regular place in a relegation threatened Premier League side.
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see Germany beating them resoundingly 4-0. I don't have much faith in Argentina, as they don't have a goal threat. Nor have their performances shown me they're capable of greater things. But appearing in a final, could have a magical effect on their players, giving them the drive to pull off an exceptional result. Doubt it though.
  • necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm predicting a shock Argentina win. It won't be pretty though...
  • mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Argentina don't have a goal threat??!!!

Messi, maybe?

Higuain has shown really flashes of skill in this tournament too.