Job interview attire...going against the rules.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
Forum Member
I have been looking for a job for 6 months attending many interviews without success. As the 'job interview rules' say to dress conservatively I have always wore white/grey shirt, grey/blue suit and a neutral coloured tie. As I feel more confident in brighter colours I am thinking about sticking to a grey suit but trying a bright solid colour shirt. It may be frowned upon but at least it may make me stand out from other candidates. Has anybody else tried something like this?

Comments

• Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    You don't mention the industry / sector in which the employing company operates. If it's something inherently conservative like banking, i wouldn't risk it; something like media/creative, go for it.

Are you sure that it makes a difference as how you come across as a candidate? :confused:
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    As long as you look smart, there's nothing wrong with a coloured shirt. If it makes you more confident then go for it. Confidence is key, much more so than how you look!.
  • ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing wrong with a grey suit and a solid colour shirt; very smart.
  • Apple22over7Apple22over7 Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think a grey suit & coloured shirt might look quite good – I don’t think there’s anything wrong with wearing brightish colours to an interview, provided you’re not going dressed in all the colours of the rainbow. My favourite interview outfit is black trousers, a bright solid colour vest top/tshirt and a pale grey fitted blazer. It’s not the standard dull dark grey/black combo but certainly looks professional, and most importantly it’s what I’m comfortable wearing.
    (note: I am female, which may make a difference)

If you’re brightening up your outfit just to “stand out” then it’s not going to work. The only real way to stand out as a job candidate is to be well qualified and have a track record of achievement. If I were hiring, someone wearing a coloured shirt may stand out but it certainly wouldn’t make me want to hire them more.

Having said that, there is an argument to be made that if by wearing brighter colours you feel more comfortable, this could put you at ease a bit more in the interview and help you to give a better interview. But again, that’s not about standing out, it’s about having a good interview, establishing rapport with the interviewer and showing you could be a good fit with their organisation. A coloured shirt on its own won’t do that, that comes down to you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    You don't mention the industry / sector in which the employing company operates. If it's something inherently conservative like banking, i wouldn't risk it; something like media/creative, go for it.

Are you sure that it makes a difference as how you come across as a candidate? :confused:

I am applying for admin jobs.

I was wondering why the advice is to be conservative when you want to stand out from the rest. I thought I could add some bright colour but still look smart.
  • SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    steelbock wrote: »

I was wondering why the advice is to be conservative when you want to stand out from the rest. I thought I could add some bright colour but still look smart.

'Conservative' in this context simple means "don't dress like a tit" rather than dictating shirt colour.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member

Well, any fool can 'stand out' by adopting an unusual appearance. It is much better to stand out by being confident, knowledgeable, professional and generally employable.

At least some colour is acceptable pretty much everywhere now. In fact, ties and cufflinks have long been used to add a bit of colour and flair even to conservative business wear.
  • DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If that's what you'd normally wear it'll give some indication of your personality, which is useful for the interviewer. You wouldn't be the first person to opt for a bright shirt so go for it. I'd tone it down if it's an old-fashioned employer, though.
  • KennedyCKennedyC Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If there are a number of similarly skilled/qualified candidates then the one that sticks in the mind will have something that stands out. It could be a bright pocket handkerchief or tie or a coloured streak in the hair, strange piercings or a tattoo. Some of these will cause negative thoughts in the interviewer, others, positive.

If you have had "many" interviews then what does it cost to experiment?
  • Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member

I think the advice is fairly sensible since you don't know what preconceptions the interviewer might have about more unusual dress choices and by playing it safe you can avoid being pigeonholed on how you look rather than your actual suitability for the role.

That said I think that the outfit you are considering would be absolutely okay for an interview, as long as you look smart and like you have made an effort you should always try and dress in a way that makes you feel comfortable and self confident for interviews.

Best of luck.
  • Apple22over7Apple22over7 Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KennedyC wrote: »
    If there are a number of similarly skilled/qualified candidates then the one that sticks in the mind will have something that stands out. It could be a bright pocket handkerchief or tie or a coloured streak in the hair, strange piercings or a tattoo. Some of these will cause negative thoughts in the interviewer, others, positive.

If you have had "many" interviews then what does it cost to experiment?

They may stand out, but it wouldn't really factor in to a decision to hire. As someone hiring, you should only be interviewing 4-5 people for any one role, so it's not as if you'd have a sea of faces to try and remember. The way to stand out & improve your chances of being hired are to be well qualified, have a decent rapport with the interviewer, be confident in your abilities and display professionalism throughout the hiring process. They are the things hiring managers will take into account & count favourably towards each candidate, not the colour of your scarf.

Visible tattoos and piercings, or wildly coloured hair are all more likely to be a negative trait than a positive on balance (although there are many employers which wouldn't bother or would welcome such attributes), so I'd suggest covering those or toning them down if you're really needing the job.
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Don't wear anything too "stand out" though. I remember interviewing one lad who had a very shiny earing and i couldn't help but be distracted by it. Didn't remember much about him apart from the earing afterwards..
    Forum Member
    They may stand out, but it wouldn't really factor in to a decision to hire. As someone hiring, you should only be interviewing 4-5 people for any one role, so it's not as if you'd have a sea of faces to try and remember. The way to stand out & improve your chances of being hired are to be well qualified, have a decent rapport with the interviewer, be confident in your abilities and display professionalism throughout the hiring process. They are the things hiring managers will take into account & count favourably towards each candidate, not the colour of your scarf.

Visible tattoos and piercings, or wildly coloured hair are all more likely to be a negative trait than a positive on balance (although there are many employers which wouldn't bother or would welcome such attributes), so I'd suggest covering those or toning them down if you're really needing the job.

I have been told a few times that '10-15 candidates are being interviewed.'
  • Mrs MillsMrs Mills Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I did interviews I never ruled anybody in or out by the clothes they were wearing. An item of clothing that makes you feel more confident could help you to impress during the interview.
  • the albionthe albion Posts: 506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saigo wrote: »
    'Conservative' in this context simple means "don't dress like a tit" rather than dictating shirt colour.

No I think the normal advice suggests conservative colours. It doesn't mean the experts are always right though does it.
    Forum Member
    Mrs Mills wrote: »
    When I did interviews I never ruled anybody in or out by the clothes they were wearing. An item of clothing that makes you feel more confident could help you to impress during the interview.

Yeah I once had to interview a young chap who had been rejected by a colleague because he was too scruffy. The manager was adamant that he thought he was worth a second look so I interviewed him and he was really good. Turned out he'd only had one job before where the dress code was very relaxed. We offered him the job and he was great. He even smartened up a bit after his colleagues gave him some 'friendly' shit about it :-D
  • mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not take a drive one morning and see if you can get a look at the employees going into work?..... that may give you some sort of indication as to what most of them dress like!........ Good luck with your next interview!..... I know what it is like to keep getting nowhere when job hunting!....... its very soul destroying..... :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    Yeah I once had to interview a young chap who had been rejected by a colleague because he was too scruffy. The manager was adamant that he thought he was worth a second look so I interviewed him and he was really good. Turned out he'd only had one job before where the dress code was very relaxed. We offered him the job and he was great. He even smartened up a bit after his colleagues gave him some 'friendly' shit about it :-D

I can see why some interviewers may rule somebody out if they are scruffy as it looks like they have made no effort. Will they make an effort if they are given the job? Dressing smartly but adding some colour is a different matter though as the effort has still been made.
    Forum Member
    Mrs Mills wrote: »
    I can see why some interviewers may rule somebody out if they are scruffy as it looks like they have made no effort. Will they make an effort if they are given the job? Dressing smartly but adding some colour is a different matter though as the effort has still been made.

I can see why as well in some circumstances. However in this case if the first interviewer had bothered to address the point in the interview he would have found the reason for it and wouldn't have suffered the embarrassment of the line manager (who was also in the interview) appealing to HR to interview a second time and overrule his judgement. It probably worth noting that this was a construction back office role so no customer interaction to worry about.
    Forum Member
    mklass wrote: »
    Why not take a drive one morning and see if you can get a look at the employees going into work?..... that may give you some sort of indication as to what most of them dress like!........ Good luck with your next interview!..... I know what it is like to keep getting nowhere when job hunting!....... its very soul destroying..... :)

I wish this was possible but I can't really waste petrol money doing that unless it is a company very close to where I live. Thanks for the encouragement though.
  • Lil_MLil_M Posts: 2,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been looking for a job for 6 months attending many interviews without success. As the 'job interview rules' say to dress conservatively I have always wore white/grey shirt, grey/blue suit and a neutral coloured tie. As I feel more confident in brighter colours I am thinking about sticking to a grey suit but trying a bright solid colour shirt. It may be frowned upon but at least it may make me stand out from other candidates. Has anybody else tried something like this?

Dress conservative.

Key thing: be honest and build rapport from the outset.
  • the albionthe albion Posts: 506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mklass wrote: »

I think this is going too far. Surely a company can't expect a person to know what the company dress code is at the interview stage.
  • Val WoodgateVal Woodgate Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    You have attended interviews and not had success. Do you think this is due to a lack of confidence...or should you be looking for another reason? Maybe you are not well prepared. Maybe you are applying for jobs that you are not qualified for. Maybe you just need to wait for your luck to change. If you really think it is a confidence issue that could be improved by a brighter shirt then I would try it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lil_M wrote: »
    Dress conservative.

Key thing: be honest and build rapport from the outset.

That is a good point because interviewers can make a decision very early about somebody. Probably the wrong thing to do as they may be nervous early on and get going later in the interview.
  • janehobbs1janehobbs1 Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    DianaFire wrote: »
    If that's what you'd normally wear it'll give some indication of your personality, which is useful for the interviewer. You wouldn't be the first person to opt for a bright shirt so go for it. I'd tone it down if it's an old-fashioned employer, though.

Agree - it's good to get your personality over in the interview. The interviewer can then decide whether you will fit in to the company.

Good luck with your search!