Options

Want to leave Sky but not sure who to go to??

LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
Forum Member
Ive been with Sky for a few years. When we first got it think it was about £46 a month for so many months. I know its gone up over the years but my husbands just phoned to say his banks sent him a text and its now £90 odd a month :o
Lets just say hes not a happy little builder at the moment lol.

We have the basic channels...sky sports...no movies...internet...phone line which is rarely used as we all have mobile phones.

If we were to cancel the sky what would be the best other one to go to oh and the cheapest :D.

Ive read there is boxs you can get on Ebay that has all the stations on but are they to good to be true???
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LaineyT wrote: »
    Ive read there is boxs you can get on Ebay that has all the stations on but are they to good to be true???
    Thanks.
    If they boast about having things like Sky Sports/Movies for free then they are almost certainly illegal streams. With no guarantees as to quality or longevity.

A legitimate alternative is either a Now TV box or a TV/PVR with Now TV built in. You can buy "passes" for these boxes that give you access to certain Sky subscription channels for a month or so at a time.

Or subscribe to BT TV and get access to a couple of the Sky sport channels and Sky Movies, if they are important to you of course.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/tv-packages/?s_cid=con_FURL_tv-packages

You will need a BT broadband sub to get BT TV and for some TV packages you also need BT Infinity if it is available.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband-packages

That is assuming you want access to some of the Sky channels you currently subscribe to.

The other thing you can do, if the aim is to reduce the monthly outgoings, is to call Sky and threaten to cancel then see what deal they offer to keep you subscribing. You might save a few quid and avoid the hassle of changing suppliers at the same time.
  • Options
    neil79neil79 Posts: 535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to have Sky and switched to a Humax freesat PVR and it's brilliant and free 😄
    You do obviously have to buy the box but your not tied into ever increasing contracts.
  • Options
    zaaxzaax Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    Your sky box will still work and you will be able to get quite a few channels, though record and live pause won't work. There are quite a few around the 400 area.

Sky Fibre (internet) from sky is £7 and is one of the cheapest
  • Options
    LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member
    Will show Bill this tonight ....he wasnt happy lol....spending nearly £100 a month on that crap lol....
  • Options
    Jon79Jon79 Posts: 1,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zaax wrote: »
    Your sky box will still work and you will be able to get quite a few channels, though record and live pause won't work. There are quite a few around the 400 area.

Sky Fibre (internet) from sky is £7 and is one of the cheapest

God damn. My Sky ends in two weeks and i just assumed i could still record and pause on the free channels and BT Sport. FML.
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,170
    Forum Member
    You should get NOW TV. I've got the movies for £5 for the next three months and entertainment for £3.50 because I said I wanted to cancel my online sub because 'it was too expensive.' I personally would never buy the full SKY package again, I just don't watch enough of it to be worth it. Whereas I make good use of the entertainment and movie package through NOW TV, cheap as chips too.
  • Options
    TextmainiacTextmainiac Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    For Broadband: SSE (energy supplier) are currently offering two years free 'unlimited' broadband if you take out a two year phone contract for £12.00 per month.

Takes the best part of a month to switch, though and I don't yet have any data on speeds or reliability.

For TV there are a lot of options, Now TV has been mentioned, and a NetFlix sub would give you plenty of movies.

SSE say:
    Your monthly cost Incl. VAT at 20%. 12 month contract (Talk), 18 month contract (Broadband) £0.00 Talk, £0.00 Broadband, £12.00 Monthly line rental. Line features may attract additional charges.

Free broadband for 24 months, then £8 per month
    Unlimited downloads
    Inclusive local and national calls at weekends, see Important Information for full package details
    Includes 18-month subscription to Internet Security Suite
    Transferring your phone takes up to 21 days and up to a further 14 days for broadband