Options

FilmFour set for Freeview launch (merged)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,895
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Channel 4 is to use its new Freeview slot to launch FilmFour on the platform.

www.broadcastnow.co.uk

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow! This is great news if true!

Has anyone got a subscription to read the full story? Wow Wow Wow!

Sadly though, I can see it being at the 'new Freeview-standard resolution' which is sub-standard definition quality, like E4 and More 4 etc.
  • Options
    coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi

Surely as a Pay Tv Channel the correct thing to say is that its launching on DTT and not Freeview :)

I hopefully stand corrected
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A slightly different story on the Guardian website tho.

Channel 4 could scrap the subscription on its premium FilmFour service and put the movie channel onto Freeview next year.
    Such a move, which would see the FilmFour go from 400,000 subscription homes to 15m homes with digital TV, is being considered by the Channel 4 chief executive, Andy Duncan, but no decision has been presented to the board.

http://media.guardian.co.uk/broadcast/story/0,7493,1660144,00.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisdafur wrote:
    A slightly different story on the Guardian website tho.

Channel 4 could scrap the subscription on its premium FilmFour service and put the movie channel onto Freeview next year.
    Such a move, which would see the FilmFour go from 400,000 subscription homes to 15m homes with digital TV, is being considered by the Channel 4 chief executive, Andy Duncan, but no decision has been presented to the board.

Ok if its is gonna be FREE To View...... :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    It's on the Guardian Media site

Emphasis on 'could' and 'no decision'?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok if its is gonna be FREE To View...... :)

I'm starting to like the fact that Channel 4 won the slot now. Hopefully it will come true and appear on Freeview.
  • Options
    Top Up TV loverTop Up TV lover Posts: 1,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope they do bring Film Four to freeview it used to be one of my fav channels on itv digital, its got to be better than putting more4+1 on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Snubtray wrote:

Yeah I've read that and posted it, the broadcast now title seemed slightly more positive, or maybe thats how I was reading it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Snubtray wrote:
    It's on the Guardian Media site

Hi

It's a little like when More4 was going to be FTA on Sky from launch

LMao :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    According to Broadcastnow, they want to make FilmFour free on Sky and Freeview. If Sky resist the move, then a new temporary service called FilmFourFree will be launched on Freeview until the the contract with Sky expires, which is believed to be in 12 months.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
  • Options
    steveboswellsteveboswell Posts: 1,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow! What a nice Christmas present from 4!!

Bozz
  • Options
    russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fantastic news, shows how commited C4 are to Freeview, also perhaps the reason More4+1 hasn't shown up - I reckon it never will.

The question is, how different will the channel be on Freeview to its current form? E4 has changed a little, but for the better, but it was a 'family pack' type channel, not premium. I just hope they don't go mad with adverts.

E4+1 -> Film4 Weekly would be the next question.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And to think I was recently dismissed when I said such a move was possible!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if they will also extend its hours as it currently only broadcasts from 6pm
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 488
    Forum Member
    Are we sure this is going to happen? It just seems to good to be true.
  • Options
    bob_loblawbob_loblaw Posts: 5,342
    Forum Member
    E4+1 would be replaced by C4US, unless they plan on putting quizcall on during the downtime of FilmFour, might as well while they have lost the cricket.

Very good news, Andy Duncan seems to have a lot of faith in Freeview. They are clearly happy with E4 and More4's performances on the platform.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If this is true it's excellent. If all the terrestrials support freeview as strongly as this then the UK will be one of the few channels with a positive free-to-air future.

If only flextech bought a few channels then Sky could disappear for good...
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bob_loblaw wrote:
    Very good news, Andy Duncan seems to have a lot of faith in Freeview.

Didn't he head it when he was at the BBC?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    our_tone wrote:
    If only flextech bought a few channels then Sky could disappear for good...
    Yes I know, where would we be without Flextech?

No UK Bright Ideas
    No FTN
    No Price Drop TV
    No Bid Up TV

It just doesn't bare thinking about :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Didn't he head it when he was at the BBC?
    I think so, not really sure.

So all the rumours about upcoming channels are starting to add up:

More4+1 (probably to be replaced by:)
    FilmFour
    C4US
    Five 2
    Five 3
    ITV Kids
    4KidsTV
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is happening now with Freeview is as I always predicted: The FTA broadcasters are moving out of pay entirely as they understand they are only cutting their own throats. Better to have a handful of free channels on a major platform you control than having pay ones on cable and satellite where there are dozens of competitors and you just drive take up away from your core platform.

No wonder Sky keep upping their marketing budget. Between the terrestrials getting smart and really supporting DTT and the prospect of losing some premiership football, you can see they have much to be worried about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bob_loblaw wrote:
    Yes I know, where would we be without Flextech?

No UK Bright Ideas
    No FTN
    No Price Drop TV
    No Bid Up TV

It just doesn't bear thinking about :eek:

I was obviously thinking of it's more successful channels, such as UKTV Gold or G2, or LivingTV or Trouble...

I would happily drop all of ur above for a couple of these.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What is happening now with Freeview is as I always predicted: The FTA broadcasters are moving out of pay entirely as they understand they are only cutting their own throats. Better to have a handful of free channels on a major platform you control than having pay ones on cable and satellite where there are dozens of competitors and you just drive take up away from your core platform.

You're right. It was never in BBC, ITV and Four's interest to try and compete with hundreds of channels on Sky, Telewest or NTL.

Would't it be great if the UK was able to maintain a quality range of FTA channels after digital switchover? Not many countries will be able to I'm sure.
  • Options
    russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    our_tone wrote:
    I was obviously thinking of it's more successful channels, such as UKTV Gold or G2, or LivingTV or Trouble...

I would happily drop all of ur above for a couple of these.

The problem is Flextech aren't particularly interested in Freeview. If they wanted to, and the numbers added up, they could have some decent channels on DTT. Remember that Flextech are owned by a Pay TV operator (Telewest). Things may well change followng NTL's takeover of Telewest and Virgin Mobile though. Certainl;y them having more space wouyld not be a good thing IMO.