SSD prices are falling

13»

Comments

• Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Corsair haven't brought out an SSD for almost 2 years, so I'm assuming they've decided that they can't compete with other well-known companies and are giving up. I think some SSD companies will be better with firmware than others. For example, Samsung, Crucial, Toshiba, Intel and SanDisk. I don't know why Intel chose the SandForce controller for some of their drives for, it's not a suitable controller for downloading from the internet with. A lot of the internet will have files that have been compressed a lot. It's good to see that Intel have chosen their own controller again for the 730. Trouble is, Intel SSDs aren't cheap. Another downside to SandForce SSDs is that some of the SSD will be more wore out than other bits, because of the fact that the SSD is build for compression.

Seems that they're not giving up at all.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8689/corsair-neutron-xt-ssd-review
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They are not that impressed by the new Corsair drives. If they are a good price then fine, but if corsair price the drives high, then it is not good and it seems there are better drives on the market.

We will see when it is launched.
    I do like Corsair stuff
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact that Anandtech haven't recommended the Corsair SSD, that doesn't look good for Corsair. I don't think they're saying it's a bad SSD, just that it hasn't impressed them enough to recommend it. I prefer companies who make their SSDs themselves instead of getting someone else to put it together. Crucial (except the controller) and Samsung make their own SSDs. We could be seeing PCIe SSDs for the desktop next year.

Edit: I missed Sandisk. I think they make their own SSDs except for the controller as well. They get good reviews.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact that Anandtech haven't recommended the Corsair SSD, that doesn't look good for Corsair. I don't think they're saying it's a bad SSD, just that it hasn't impressed them enough to recommend it. I prefer companies who make their SSDs themselves instead of getting someone else to put it together. Crucial (except the controller) and Samsung make their own SSDs. We could be seeing PCIe SSDs for the desktop next year.

Edit: I missed Sandisk. I think they make their own SSDs except for the controller as well. They get good reviews.

I thought all SSD was made by their companies, apart from third party components like controllers.
    I presume some may have a third party company manufacturing them to their specs, is this what you mean?

Sandisk products used to be awful, I have over the years had a few of their memory cards and had awful problems with them.
    But over the last 2 years or so they have improved, I have now got 3 sandisk USB sticks and they are fine, apart from the crap software they stick on them

But a SSd is a different thing, not sure if I would want to trust them with that amount of data, another two I will stay clear of is Seagate and Intel
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    I thought all SSD was made by their companies, apart from third party components like controllers.
    I presume some may have a third party company manufacturing them to their specs, is this what you mean?

Sandisk products used to be awful, I have over the years had a few of their memory cards and had awful problems with them.
    But over the last 2 years or so they have improved, I have now got 3 sandisk USB sticks and they are fine, apart from the crap software they stick on them

But a SSd is a different thing, not sure if I would want to trust them with that amount of data, another two I will stay clear of is Seagate and Intel

A lot of the SSD companies out there, as far as I know, design their SSDs and then get someone else to assemble them. SanDisk, Crucial and Samsung make their own flash chips for SSDs (They're bound to make the PCB as well. Samsung will). Kingston's Hyper X 3K has Intel branded flash chips inside it which means that they'll have got them from Intel. If they do assemble them, I suppose what I should have said was SSD companies who make their own parts, or even almost all of the parts.