Connecting media server to modem

Stewie_CStewie_C Posts: 1,739
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just investigating Netflix etc. I see you can connect via a Wii, but I guess that might be pretty slow and limit quality.

Situation I have is that the cable connection is in the lounge with the modem sitting right under the TV, A cable runs from the modem to the router upstairs. I was wondering is there any way to split the connection from the back of the modem - one cable going to the router, and one going to a media server such as Roku? As they would be right next to each other, it seems a shame to use wireless when a direct cable could hopefully be used.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    In a word, no. You either need to install another router downstairs, from which you could run the server and the upstairs router, or place your server next to the upstairs router. A third option would be to connect to the upstairs router using an ethernet over mains connection.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    You could move the router downstairs beside the modem and plug the cable upstairs into that , then you can put a hub or switch upstairs to split the connection again....:)