Options

dr who regenerations

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
Forum Member
The doctor may be the 11th, but David Tennant used 2 and this John Hurt will make it so 12 regenerations were used. This means the DR used all his lives. In the impossible astronaut how did he start to regenerate?...

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    Please ignore, I remembered that it was the doctor in the teselecta, so that explains it.
  • Options
    bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We still don't know if john hurt is going to be a 12th doctor or just an alternative doctor yet.the David Tennant regeneration in journeys end though was a proper regeneration.surely he used up one of his regenerations then. Possibly though if john hurt is a proper doctor then the doctor has already used up all his regenerations and when matt smith packs it in they that's it!
  • Options
    human naturehuman nature Posts: 13,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dr_who wrote: »
    The doctor may be the 11th, but David Tennant used 2 and this John Hurt will make it so 12 regenerations were used. This means the DR used all his lives. In the impossible astronaut how did he start to regenerate?...
    In Journey's End the Doctor said he used some of the regeneration energy to heal himself, but as soon as he was done he stopped the energy "going all the way" by siphoning off the rest into his spare hand. I'm not claiming this makes any sense, but the implication is that he hasn't lost any of his incarnations because the regeneration process was completed 'off site'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In Journey's End the Doctor said he used some of the regeneration energy to heal himself, but as soon as he was done he stopped the energy "going all the way" by siphoning off the rest into his spare hand. I'm not claiming this makes any sense, but the implication is that he hasn't lost any of his incarnations because the regeneration process was completed 'off site'.

No. He used a full regeneration as his hand was cut off, he had enough left energy to get a new hand.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It all depends on what the Regeneration Limit consists/consisted of.

If the Limit is the actual amount of Energy a Timelord has then the Doctor still used up a Regenerations worth of Energy in creating the Handy Doctor.
  • Options
    Brian2005Brian2005 Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    doesn't matter everyone, the beeb will find a way around this, they not going to leave it stuck at 12 regens
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    No. He used a full regeneration as his hand was cut off, he had enough left energy to get a new hand.

Nobody but the Time Lords themselves know how regeneration works enough to be able to say what counts as a 'real' regeneration. Is a regeneration defined by the quantity of energy released? Or by the proportional of bodily cells re-created? Or by the complete creation of a new DNA template?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    I throw this open for possible discussion. Stephen Moffatt loves to put things into episodes that he later comes back to. Something River Song says in A Good Man GTW : Direct quote follows -
    'Doctor' - the word for Healer & wise man throughout the universe. We kept that word from you, you know. But if you carry on the way you are, what may that word come to mean. To the people of the Gamma Forest, it means 'Mighty Warrior'...........etc

Note - We Kept That Word From You? - Who's 'We'? What word? 'Doctor'?
    Maybe River knows something she's not fully explained - spoilers! And she's still linked to Clara.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    AllKath wrote: »
    I throw this open for possible discussion. Stephen Moffatt loves to put things into episodes that he later comes back to. Something River Song says in A Good Man GTW : Direct quote follows -
    'Doctor' - the word for Healer & wise man throughout the universe. We kept that word from you, you know. But if you carry on the way you are, what may that word come to mean. To the people of the Gamma Forest, it means 'Mighty Warrior'...........etc

Note - We Kept That Word From You? - Who's 'We'? What word? 'Doctor'?
    Maybe River knows something she's not fully explained - spoilers! And she's still linked to Clara.
    I thought she said "we got that word from you" as in meaning that is why we call people doctors. named after Doctor Who! all healers and wise men became known as doctors..
  • Options
    The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We also don't know if The Doctor inherited River's regenerations when she revived him in Let's Kill Hitler
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    that is possible why they wrote that into the script to overcome the limitation set on regens, The master has had his quota extended before so it is possible to get more regens .
  • Options
    nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    Please ignore, I remembered that it was the doctor in the teselecta, so that explains it.

I like your forum name. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    I bet the line about regenerations is a line that the script writer from the episode all those years ago wished he hadn't put in now. No way did they expect the show to last 50 years and have to deal with the limit question. The BBC won't just end it after doctor 13. It is Dr Who folklore though so I think they need to deal with it in a better way than the matt smith Sarah Jane episode when he stated he had over 500 lives. Maybe John Hurt doctor did something during the time war that fixed it but my theory is the time lords themselves reset the limit during the time war as a way of not losing time lords in battle and would just regenerate and carry on fighting ...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No need to concern yourself.... the 2005+ series remains non-canon to the original 1963-89 series, let alone the 1996 movie, and with Christopher Ecclestone as #1 (or#2), David Tennant as #2/#3 and Matt Smith as #3/#4, John Hurt will either be #1 or #12 ..... but more than likely #1. In the scheme of things, when Matt Smith decides to leave the show, his successor will be (more than likely not) a Tweenager - this did not work for the role of Q in James Bond 'Skyfall", and will not work for Doctor Who.
  • Options
    podlover98podlover98 Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    Was the limit imposed by the timelords or was it biological? If it was imposed by the timelords, "sometimes i think a timelord lives too long", then clearly with the timelord genocide it is no longer a issue.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    podlover98 wrote: »
    Was the limit imposed by the timelords or was it biological? If it was imposed by the timelords, "sometimes i think a timelord lives too long", then clearly with the timelord genocide it is no longer a issue.

Well given the fact The Time Lords can grant more if they wish to I'd say it was imposed by them and even if it was biological they can learned how to give more out so probably did that during The Time War.
  • Options
    TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DariaM wrote: »
    No need to concern yourself.... the 2005+ series remains non-canon to the original 1963-89 series, let alone the 1996 movie, and with Christopher Ecclestone as #1 (or#2), David Tennant as #2/#3 and Matt Smith as #3/#4, John Hurt will either be #1 or #12 ..... but more than likely #1. In the scheme of things, when Matt Smith decides to leave the show, his successor will be (more than likely not) a Tweenager - this did not work for the role of Q in James Bond 'Skyfall", and will not work for Doctor Who.

The part that I put in bold is simply incorrect. As they have shown many times, it is the same series (the two hiatuses notwithstanding).
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member

Where did you get that idea from , The Beano ? of course it canon they are all the same Doctor as has been referrenced on numerous occasions.
  • Options
    Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member

Actually, these don't count, both RTD and Moffat used this to get around, something about the first 12 or 16 Hours into a Regeneration, the body has excess energy to dispense, that's how The Doctor grew his hand back and how River survived taking a few machine gun rounds in LKH.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Theophile wrote: »
    The part that I put in bold is simply incorrect. As they have shown many times, it is the same series (the two hiatuses notwithstanding).
    andy1231 wrote: »
    Where did you get that idea from , The Beano ? of course it canon they are all the same Doctor as has been referrenced on numerous occasions.

Inducing the last episode where Clara met all 11 Doctors using footage from the classic series
  • Options
    TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inducing the last episode where Clara met all 11 Doctors using footage from the classic series

Also, in the episode "The Next Doctor", we are treated to the (all at that time) ten faces of The Doctor (thus establishing long term continuity).
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andy1231 wrote: »
    Don't bother, andy1231. DariaM has posted the same ludicrous drivel on at least 16 other threads. She always does so as a "hit and run" troll and never responds to anyone who points out why she's obviously wrong.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member

Not only is it the same series - and that gets more amusing the more you repeat it, by the way - but the actor who played Q in Skyfall is in his thirties, and two years older than Matt Smith.