What the most annoying bit in TVshows

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 111
Forum Member
I think the most annoying thing is at the beginning or just before a commercial break when they do the COMING UP! or at the end when they do NEXT TIME

We don't want to know - it spoils the program

Comments

• GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The intros in programmes are too long. Every episode of Come Dine With Me always reminds us what happened on the previous days. When you've watched 4 of the 5 episodes that's 6 minutes of the programme already wasted! :mad:
    I fast forward ALL of the intros and the 'coming up' parts.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The speeded up bit. It seems that almost every show must have a speeded up bit.

The filmic bit in sports coverage (used for highlights of a previous day etc) where the distorted colours make it very difficult to see what was happening.
  • MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    when they play the dramatic music so you know something is coming up..I'd like to be surprised
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shows that pad themselves out to the full 22 minutes by repeatedly telling what's coming up in case I only have an attention spa.......
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    charter wrote: »
    I think the most annoying thing is at the beginning or just before a commercial break when they do the COMING UP! or at the end when they do NEXT TIME

YES. THIS. :mad:

The programmes made for the cheapo digi channels are by far the worst for this. I once timed an allegedly hour long episode of Channel 5's 5th Gear (Top Gear was between seasons and I was desperate) and when you took out all the COMING UP, AFTER THE BREAK (which happened after EVERY break, not just at the start) plus the £1.50 a minute phone in "competition" and the bit plugging their own website, it turned out there was 27 minutes of actual content.
    I haven't watched an episode of 5th Gear since, not even sure if they still make it.

That said, I rarely watch any "live" TV apart from sport and the odd good show on BBC that happens to be on at the time I want to watch it, for everything else I use my hard drive recorder. I can't begin to imagine how much time it's saved me over the years, fast forwarding through all the ads and other sh1t.
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When channels squeeze the end credits so you can't look up who did what. Some people are actually interested in who did the sound track or something like that.
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I notice this most in "The Hotel Inspector" but I've seen it in other shows too:

After every advert break, the narrator will repeat the same information again and again. "Mr and Mrs X have invited renowned hotelier Alex Polizzi to help save the struggling Hotel Y. But with standards falling and guests leaving, will she be able to do it?" After the second ad break, we bloody well know that Alex Polizzi is a renowned hotelier who has been asked by a couple we're now familiar with to save a hotel we are fully aware is struggling. We've been watching for half an hour, why are you giving us the basics again and again? Do the programme makers think we forget what we've been watching after we've been bamboozled for four minutes by twee female vocalists advertising pizza, cars, butter and discounted vodka?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    I notice this most in "The Hotel Inspector" but I've seen it in other shows too:

After every advert break, the narrator will repeat the same information again and again. "Mr and Mrs X have invited renowned hotelier Alex Polizzi to help save the struggling Hotel Y. But with standards falling and guests leaving, will she be able to do it?" After the second ad break, we bloody well know that Alex Polizzi is a renowned hotelier who has been asked by a couple we're now familiar with to save a hotel we are fully aware is struggling. We've been watching for half an hour, why are you giving us the basics again and again? Do the programme makers think we forget what we've been watching after we've been bamboozled for four minutes by twee female vocalists advertising pizza, cars, butter and discounted vodka?

Deal or No Deal is guilty of this too. Noel CONSTANTLY tells us who is playing, where they are from and the job they do. He mentions it about FIVE times throughout. SHUT UP NOEL! :mad:
  • dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    America crime docs, especially on CI channel, they have to constantly recap the story as though we have the memory capacity of a goldfish
  • Sam WalkerSam Walker Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    Returning from an advert break and suffering the endless recapping. Also on Pointless, when Alexander Armstrong repeats the question as soon as he's finished reading it. It's on the screen, we don't need to be reminded.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On Jeremy Kyle...EVERY time it goes to the break, it comes back to a montage (the same bloody one) that lasts about 2/3 minutes I think and, its just annoying...it's not needed as its after EVERY ad break!!!
  • TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me, it's fake spontaneity, set-ups and forced buffoonery in quiz, panel and magazine shows.

This usually happens when a genuinely witty person, chemistry or event happens and, over time, gets a positive reaction from the critics/viewers. Then the producers cram it in and it looks SO false.

It happened so blatantly in A Question Of Sport, Have I Got News For You is a little guilty of it too these days. Top Gear is laughably staged at times and The Gadget Show on Channel 5 has excruciatingly bad "ad-fibbing" as I like to call it. There are many other examples.

If we wanted such obviously orchestrated clowning, we'd all be watching Last Of The Summer Wine. One more wheeled machine with an old man on board going down a hill into a ditch or stream and I'll surely burst :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whenever some announcer t**t at the BBC talks over the end credits of a programme and tells everyone to 'stay with us'! :mad:
  • yeahbuddyyeahbuddy Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The adverts!
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrscee wrote: »
    when they play the dramatic music so you know something is coming up..I'd like to be surprised

In that case, why not turn off the volume and turn on the subtitles?;)
    Sam Walker wrote: »
    . Also on Pointless, when Alexander Armstrong repeats the question as soon as he's finished reading it. It's on the screen, we don't need to be reminded.

I think that's to give the contestant on the first podium some thinking time.
  • Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Totally agree. Whoever divised this trend should be shot. I can't stand spoilers but they've become unavoidable due to this. Are people so pathetic they can't just wait until the next episodes to see what happens for themselves?

I know the coming up/last time bits before ad breaks are aimed at reeling in the channel hoppers but it's still ridiculous and is getting worse by the year. There's not much point to watching most programmes any more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My own personal bugbear is that background music has become constant, intrusive, and increasingly loud. It's so overused it's really offputting. Do people really need music to tell them how to feel EVERY moment? Documentaries have become especially bad for this, but programmes like Doctor Who - while having a lovely score - are also guilty.

I also depsise credit squeezing/talking over the credits/not showing credits at all. Whoever started that off is a total c**k.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having an advert break five minutes before a show is due to end, I also hate the coming up previews prior to an episode.
  • BillyCasperBillyCasper Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread reminds me of Alistair McGowan when he did Live At The Apollo,

Hi, I'm Gok Wan, coming up in part one we'll take a look at what's coming up in parts two three and four.
    Welcome to part two. Let's look at what happened in part one and take a look at what's coming up in parts three and four.
    Welcome back. In part three we'll take a look at what happened in parts one and two whilst looking ahead to what's coming up in part four.
    Welcome to part four, we'll recap parts one two and three, then we'll have a sneaky look at what's happening in next weeks show.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And so say all of us, and so say all of us.

Coming up: Other people disagree. But to remind you of what was said originally.............
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having an advert break five minutes before a show is due to end, I also hate the coming up previews prior to an episode.

Both things that were imported from the US. We copy them now in terms of where we place are ad breaks, and it's really annoying.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mitchell and Webb did a fantastic sketch on the annoyance of the "coming ups" and "previouslies": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MFtl2XXnUc

and also a good spoof of the setup of cookery shows: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mbqHsObQ5s
  • Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The intros in programmes are too long. Every episode of Come Dine With Me always reminds us what happened on the previous days. When you've watched 4 of the 5 episodes that's 6 minutes of the programme already wasted! :mad:
    I fast forward ALL of the intros and the 'coming up' parts.

They do that on X Factor - on Saturday's it's 'Last week'...and on Sunday's it's 'Last night'...:D
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talking to the contestants to fill time
  • Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The two minute preview of what the show is about before the titles, the BBC is guilty of this. " In tonite's show I'll demonstrate how much waffle we can get away with by making 30 minutes worth of actual content stretch into a 58 minute programme. ".

Having said that, it's not as new an annoyance as you'd think, every episode of World At War has this 60 second intro before the main titles.