Election results - BBC and Sky

KarlyKarly Posts: 10,468
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm probably sounding like an idiot for asking this - and I'm not even sure I'm asking in the right place - but could anyone explain to me why when you look at the election results on BBC and then turn over to Sky the numbers are totally different? :confused:

Comments

• groovesectiongroovesection Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because Democracy is a lie,
    you do technically have a choice which Political party will have the appearance of power, but as we all know it is big business that runs the show and dictates policy, not Dave, Nick or Ed
    :D
  • ComputerComputer Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Karly wrote: »
    I'm probably sounding like an idiot for asking this - and I'm not even sure I'm asking in the right place - but could anyone explain to me why when you look at the election results on BBC and then turn over to Sky the numbers are totally different? :confused:

How different? I've not seen sky coverage but the BBC are switching between four different figures, 'total number of seats' 'seat gain/loss' 'total number of councils' and 'council gain/loss'. So is it possible that you might not be comparing like for like figures? Alternatively, the channels might be updating their figures at a different pace as the results come in but that should only see a couple of numbers difference really.
  • onecitizenonecitizen Posts: 5,042
    Forum Member
    The hype surrounding UKIP is getting a bit much they have won precisely NO councils.
  • Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    onecitizen wrote: »
    The hype surrounding UKIP is getting a bit much they have won precisely NO councils.

You cant expect parties to win councils from a standing start. Also in many cases only a third of the council was up for election anyway.
  • KarlyKarly Posts: 10,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Computer wrote: »
    How different? I've not seen sky coverage but the BBC are switching between four different figures, 'total number of seats' 'seat gain/loss' 'total number of councils' and 'council gain/loss'. So is it possible that you might not be comparing like for like figures? Alternatively, the channels might be updating their figures at a different pace as the results come in but that should only see a couple of numbers difference really.
    As of 1.20pm:
    BBC: Lab 925 Con: 729 LD 237 UKIP 94
    SKY: Lab 1763 Con 1304 LD 430 UKIP 107
    Councils control numbers are also vastly different yet number of declared results is pretty much the same on each channel. There is some obvious difference here that I'm not getting?
  • ComputerComputer Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As of 1.20pm:
    BBC: Lab 925 Con: 729 LD 237 UKIP 94
    SKY: Lab 1763 Con 1304 LD 430 UKIP 107
    Councils control numbers are also vastly different yet number of declared results is pretty much the same on each channel. There is some obvious difference here that I'm not getting?

Might be that Sky are using total figures? That is, some councils are only electing 1/3 of their members, so whilst BBC are only running totals for the seats up for election Sky are counting the seats not up for election too?
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or BBC only using the results that are announced...
    And sky using the counts before announcement
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Might be that Sky are using total figures? That is, some councils are only electing 1/3 of their members, so whilst BBC are only running totals for the seats up for election Sky are counting the seats not up for election too?
    There is a difference for UKIP - sure they started from 0?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or BBC only using the results that are announced...
    And sky using the counts before announcement
    Number declared is (almost) the same on each channel.
  • AZ fanAZ fan Posts: 1,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just wait until the real fun starts tonight Karly :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC are generally waiting until an entire council is declared before adding them all, while Sky are just going by individual declarations is my understanding. They did this last year too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Teh User wrote: »
    The BBC are generally waiting until an entire council is declared before adding them all, while Sky are just going by individual declarations is my understanding. They did this last year too.
    Thank you - if that's it that would make sense. Maybe they said that at the beginning of the coverage and I missed it - they could do with repeating it now and again (or maybe they do and I'm just not paying attention - very possible!).
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No special coverage on ITV then apart frm news bulletins ? In days of yore many of the regions would have done their own results programmes.
  • leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    No special coverage on ITV then apart frm news bulletins ? In days of yore many of the regions would have done their own results programmes.
    But that was in the day when ITV had time for news and current affairs in its schedule. They dont give a damn these days. ITV could have better election coverage from the regions but those days are long gone which is a shame because the regional structure served ITV well. At least the BBC are there if you want to watch their election coverage which is as usual very well presented
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »

You know the answer because Steve Williams specifically answered your post on the exact same point on another thread
    The only time ITV have ever done a proper networked show for the local elections was in 1996 so they could use it as a rehearsal for their 1997 General Election coverage. All other times, the various regions mounted whatever coverage they wanted, some did quite lengthy programmes and others only quick updates. That doesn't happen now because the regions don't have the resources

So why ask again?
  • madmusicianmadmusician Posts: 2,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dimblebey has just made reference to Sky putting up figures for the whole council on the BBC's coverage with a slight dig!
  • Gazza1982Gazza1982 Posts: 559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

From watching the BBC coverage there was just this minute a conversation between David Dimbleby and Emily Maitlis, which pretty much confirmed this was the case. Although they didn't specifically mention Sky, they did use the term "another broadcaster" when explaining how the numbers etc.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky have spies who tell the reporters the results before they are announced, the BBC will wait until the official announcement also results will come into the two channels at different times depending of if they have a presence there.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I know that in the past when ITV covered elections and by-elections, they tended to use predictions whilst the BBC waited until a result was officially announced before adding to the totals.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And to listen to the hype from some of the other parties you might believe that UKIP had not even won any seats whilst those other parties achieved all their targets.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Sky have spies who tell the reporters the results before they are announced, the BBC will wait until the official announcement also results will come into the two channels at different times depending of if they have a presence there.

I just posted that ITV did tricks like that. I have wondered about the legality of misusing privileged access to the count, I am sure there must be conditions on the use of that access. Sounds as if Sky News might be doing the same.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the replies everyone. :) I'm in Northern Ireland (that's a whole other story when it comes to elections :() so don't really know the ins and outs of local government in England - just thought the numbers were odd and there must be something I was missing.
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    I know that in the past when ITV covered elections and by-elections, they tended to use predictions

...some of which were wrong and had to be sheepishly corrected on air.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You are missing the point it isn't that they have won any councils they have taken a large share of the vote for example in a lot of places they were just a few votes behind Labour/Tory.

To go from nothing to this is an amazing feat whatever you think of them, the fact that the way British politics works effectively means only two parties can ever win an election is not UKIP's fault BUT one thing to note with a four party system it is unlikely any party will get a majority and the minor parties may come into play.

In a lot of the councils they were only voting in certain area's so in Rotherham UKIP gained 10 councils whereas Labour lost 8, but because a large porportion of the town wasn't taking part it mean Labour couldn't be toppled but to take 10 councils was a major event.
  • JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I just say how good the BBC Europe coverage was last night. Absolutely shamed Sky's coverage IMO.

Although there were some blunders by Dimbledy & Co it made it more entertaining.