Options

BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• Options
    Phil AnderPhil Ander Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no idea about Derbyshire's listening figures. Now that LBC has gone digital it may well be 5 live has lost some listeners though I suspect a most of us still listen to radio on AM and FM. I note in passing though that Queen Vic's competition from LBC is James O'Brien who is another hate figure on here.

Didn't hear the item on alcoholic doctor. Sounds like over the top to me. However let me run this past you all.

The Alcoholic Doctor has been on twice on Derbyshire's show. Doctor's family contact the programme to tell the Producer she has died. Producer and Victoria decide to ignore this news and concentrate on other stories. Family goes to the papers claiming their dead relative has been exploited.

Would any of you comment on that situation?
  • Options
    streaky-baconstreaky-bacon Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    Phil Ander wrote: »
    I have no idea about Derbyshire's listening figures. Now that LBC has gone digital it may well be 5 live has lost some listeners though I suspect a most of us still listen to radio on AM and FM. I note in passing though that Queen Vic's competition from LBC is James O'Brien who is another hate figure on here.

Didn't hear the item on alcoholic doctor. Sounds like over the top to me. However let me run this past you all.

The Alcoholic Doctor has been on twice on Derbyshire's show. Doctor's family contact the programme to tell the Producer she has died. Producer and Victoria decide to ignore this news and concentrate on other stories. Family goes to the papers claiming their dead relative has been exploited.

Would any of you comment on that situation?

I agree O'Brien is not really an improvement so I am increasingly ending up with Ken Bruce despite preferring speech radio or sometimes Monocle 24 online. The lack of choice / competition in speech radio probably means not much will ever change on 5 live until VD is finally successful in finding another job.

I'm sure VD has milked the Alcoholic GP story far more than two times. Personally I felt a bit uncomfortable with the Steve Evans cancer story and Bacon maybe went a bit too far with it but no where near to the same extent as VD and even when he died a whole show wasn't devoted to him and the listeners clearly felt a lot of warmth to him. Yes VD should report the death and maybe play the original interview but there was no need to devote two hours to 'paying tribute'.
  • Options
    ukebraukebra Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Thought I heard the deceased lady's counsellor refer to her as 'Claire'.[/QUOTE]

Yes, so did I.

The reaction to this personal (to the family) tragedy is disproportionate and I am finding Victoria's tone almost as prurient as Stephen Nolan's; it's a relief to hear Shelagh at noon (despite her being single and not a size zero).

While I am here, anyone noticed the total lack of rapport (negative rapport?) between Martin Lewis and Dotun Adebayo on Thursdays? I thought it was a one-off on the first week but subsequent hearings have reinforced this impression. I was very sorry to hear that DA was doing daytimes now, although the plus side is that my nights are undisturbed by his "preeeshiashun" of his callers. He does seem incredibly out of his depth when exposed to daylight.
  • Options
    Black CrowBlack Crow Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lordloz wrote: »
    I
    headline on DS tonight is 65 roles in BBC radio to change.....

the proposed move is part of an ongoing plan to reduce the BBC Radio division headcount by around 15% between 2012 and 2017 - around 200 roles - from 1,300 to 1,100.

the reorganisation will affect staffing and structures across Radios 1, 2, 3, 4, 1Xtra, 6Music, Radio 4 Extra and the Asian Network.

what??? :confused: nothing changes in 5live? :confused:

looks like we're stuck with what we've got then..... :blush:

I believe 5 Live is part of BBC News therefore it's a different budget from the rest of BBC Radio. It's like Local Radio is in the News budget rather than the Radio budget!
  • Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Station ID wrote: »
    There's a mass switch over at 10am is there? Of course you can quote some figures to back that up..........oh wait it'll just be your opinion based on the fact you don't like her.

Trawl through this site and you will see a relection of the switch away from Five at around 10am. Derbyshire is a poor broadcaster, the production is appalling (joined up handovers would be a (novelty), and the content stinks.
    Go on carry on defending this tripe. In time you'll be the programmes only listener :-)
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Classic Dame Nikki Campbell moment this morning.

3 minutes to go and he decides to interview the guy about the science of penalty taking. Now 3 minutes isn't long, so they decide to play some crappy football song first that eats up more time.

Then after the ego does his intro prattle he stops the guy in his tracks because he dared to mention the word Gillette. Campbell then wastes MORE time telling him off and explaining that he and his ego will take him off air if he does it again.

So after about another 20 seconds on comes the music and the slot ends.

Well done radio 5, very informative and yet another example of Campbell and his personal ego ruining the show.

Luckily the same guy was interviewed on Talksport the other day and got a lot more time to discuss the findings.
  • Options
    Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted post. Sorry. Wrong thread.
  • Options
    bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Listening to 5Live's World Cup preview. Superb program.

They get slagged off a lot, but the Sport shows are worth the station alone.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    Have they done any Test cricket previewing yet ahead of tomorrow's game?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Have they done any Test cricket previewing yet ahead of tomorrow's game?

No, it's all World Cup bar a few athletics reports and a quick US Open (golf) chat. Understandable the focus is on football, it's not like they ignore cricket in general
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Surprising they could not spare even a 30 second phone in from say Michael Vaughan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Surprising they could not spare even a 30 second phone in from say Michael Vaughan.

They did this kind of show from SA 2 years ago, it's working quite well with 1 Mark in Rio and another in Sao Paolo getting views from many pundits and journalists
  • Options
    Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    Trawl through this site and you will see a relection of the switch away from Five at around 10am. Derbyshire is a poor broadcaster, the production is appalling (joined up handovers would be a (novelty), and the content stinks.
    Go on carry on defending this tripe. In time you'll be the programmes only listener :-)

I think not somehow.

Perhaps the bbc coukd save money and not bother with rajar. They could just read digital spy instead although perhaps they realise that just because 4 people say something on an internet forum it doesn't mean that everyone else agrees.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think not somehow.

Perhaps the bbc coukd save money and not bother with rajar. They could just read digital spy instead although perhaps they realise that just because 4 people say something on an internet forum it doesn't mean that everyone else agrees.

Station ID and Phil Ander, possibly the only people who think Five's daily 10am Misery Hour does not stink.
    You both seem to be insiders - if the individual programme ratings are so wonderful then they should be published. Perhaps you could use your influence. In the meantime I for one will assume football commentary figures are "covering" for this tripe - and the longer this continues a big fall will occur one quarter.
  • Options
    Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    Station ID and Phil Ander, possibly the only people who think Five's daily 10am Misery Hour does not stink.
    You both seem to be insiders - if the individual programme ratings are so wonderful then they should be published. Perhaps you could use your influence. In the meantime I for one will assume football commentary figures are "covering" for this tripe - and the longer this continues a big fall will occur one quarter.

So just because I don't agree with you,the assumption is that I work for the bbc. You couldn't be more wrong there. I just happen to think Victoria's show is good.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,057
    Forum Member
    bwfcol wrote: »
    Listening to 5Live's World Cup preview. Superb program.

They get slagged off a lot, but the Sport shows are worth the station alone.

Their football tournament coverage is normally very good, I hope and expect it will be the same this time around
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So just because I don't agree with you,the assumption is that I work for the bbc. You couldn't be more wrong there. I just happen to think Victoria's show is good.

Keep taking the tablets.
  • Options
    brain_higgybrain_higgy Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of bbc 5 live presenters are on holiday or taking a break for the summer during the world cup and the biggest time off guy is none other than bacon, at the end of the his wednesday program he said that him off for the summer as due to the world cup and wimbeldon so no program from him till august as that when he does his program for Edinburgh fringe, seems to me he takes too much holidays and that he has a good life so 10-12 weeks off good life

and also what about campbell and george riley who went off to brazil, campbell was in london just yesterday morning then next day already in brazil so he took off from london to brazil as soon his program finish then landed in brazil the same or next day then presented his breakfast program from Rio so heard of jetlag, nice holiday as well easy life

so 5live are in brazil soaking up the sun easy life
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bwfcol wrote: »
    They did this kind of show from SA 2 years ago, it's working quite well with 1 Mark in Rio and another in Sao Paolo getting views from many pundits and journalists
    What has that got to do with the cricket? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I thought 5 live was meant to be 'live' rather than a one hour pre-recorded program on a weekday afternoon?

"A celebration of Brazil's two passions - music and football. 5 live's Jonathan Overend selects Brazil's best World Cup goals accompanied by an ultimate Brazilian soundtrack from 6 Music's Gilles Peterson."

Come back Bacon all is forgiven.
  • Options
    lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think not somehow.

4extra is right here as they consistently refuse to release figures for individual shows (odd as they frequently blow own trumpets when say strictly outperform x factor tosh)
    We have to assume a certain amount from general feeling,forums message boards and newspaper critics....it's a shame they don't.....

& yes Brian and streaky here we go for an extremely expensive jolly for all concerned....if only some of those going could find jobs on Channel 9 perhaps they wouldn't come back....which is nice...... :p

By the way a couple pages back is a nice link recently on the LBC thread with their director (former BBC man) it's from while back in independent but he knows the BBC well & intends capitalizing on 5 trivia celeb sport obsession & move to Salford by bringing more news and politics in the centre of where it mainly happens

of their being restricted by theirs & r4 too remit ...& that they won't cut off the pm to go to a wicket.. . :p

interesting article

& some posts of praise of say Iain Dale with the monetary head the other day who did a good hour of sensible interview & in contrast to a few hours of 5 type broadcasting these days...
  • Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of bbc 5 live presenters are on holiday or taking a break for the summer during the world cup and the biggest time off guy is none other than bacon, at the end of the his wednesday program he said that him off for the summer as due to the world cup and wimbeldon so no program from him till august as that when he does his program for Edinburgh fringe, seems to me he takes too much holidays and that he has a good life so 10-12 weeks off good life

Hopefully Bacon's got the sort of contract with the BBC that if he has 2 months off he only gets some of it as paid holiday.

He must be freelance as he does those rubbish documentaries for Channel 5
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Come back Bacon all is forgiven.

The sun's got to you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The sun's got to you.

Maybe but I would still rather listen to even Bacon than some crappy recorded countdown show about World Cup Goals and Brazilian music. They should not have pre-recorded shows on during a weekday afternoon, I thought 5 live had to be live when we get all the wicket at the cricket and inaudible press conference nonsense that they have to go to live that very second midway through a discussion.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well, at least that means we don't have to suffer him wittering on during the World Cup and Wimbledon pretending he'd interested in it all.

I actually don't mind Bacon when he's on media and entertainment topics and he's reasonable at breaking news but he's way out of this depth when it comes to sport.
This discussion has been closed.