Options

Only Drunks and Babies Tell the Truth

Cg_EvansCg_Evans Posts: 2,039
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does anyone know where this saying originated?

I had a look but couldnt find much.

Must say I kind of agree with it

:D

I was in a small shop once with my 2 year old and there was this woman who had the reakiest perfume on and she turned and pointed whilst saying Mum that woman stinks

Another occasion was in the butchers, I was buying some mince and she said Mum are they worms?

Ref drunk people, I do find they sometimes get to the crux of a matter easily and quickly..i suppose they dont mince their words as norms go out the window

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Not really. My drunk friend told me she thought Piers Morgan was actually rather handsome. That's certainly not the truth as when I told her he next day she was like "yeah I was talking sh**,"
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    I don't think drunk people tell the truth, but small children definitely do. Drunk people do stuff they'd never contemplate when sober. Kids just point and stare and comment on whatever catches their eye, which can be charming. Or incredibly embarrassing for the adult with them.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a difference between basic honesty and some tool shouting out facts about yourself, which you already know, just as a reminder in case you'd forgotten.

Many aren't drunk or babies.
  • Options
    nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    I skimmed the title and read "only drunk babies tell the truth" and I wondered why they were drunk.
  • Options
    Cg_EvansCg_Evans Posts: 2,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL at you guys!! well, I will keep trying to find the ref and post back later, cheers
  • Options
    HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It 's a combination of two old sayings, 'In vino veritas' and 'Out of the mouths of babes'.
    (CJ from Reggie Perrin was very fond of the second one).
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Drunk people tell their version of what they think is the truth at the time.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    I've never heard that saying but if I ever release an album or write a novel then I think the name is sorted now.

I suppose a drunk baby would be like the modern day Oracle then?
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never heard that saying but if I ever release an album I think the name is sorted now.

I suppose a drunk baby would be like the modern day Oracle then?
    Looks like kids can legally purchase alcohol in Wisconsin in the US provided their mum or dad are present. http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/125/I/07/4/a - clause (b)

Not sure about babies though.
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    I don't speak the truth when I'm drunk, I'm just more likely to say exactly what's on my mind, and what's on my mind when I'm drunk isn't really a true reflection of who I am, it's just a reflection of who I am when I'm drunk :p
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    UKMikey wrote: »
    Looks like kids can legally purchase alcohol in Wisconsin in the US provided their mum or dad are present. http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/125/I/07/4/a - clause (b)

Not sure about babies though.

Definitely illegal everywhere I should think but I'm impressed that you are exploring the idea further.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely illegal everywhere I should think but I'm impressed that you are exploring the idea further.
    You can't argue with a printed statute. Sounds like a loophole they would close if anyone tried to take advantage of it.

I was looking for that grunge album which had an archive photo of some kid dressed in full Bavarian costume downing a beerstein on the cover. Not sure whether it actually had beer in though.